Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Need some advice, suggestions 2007 Jeep Wrangler X

Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice, suggestions 2007 Jeep Wrangler X

So I just bought this Jeep and so far everything is great about. Engine, transmission all run great. I should probably tell you know I'm a new Jeep owner so I'm new to jeeps. Now this where I'm a bit in panic mode. So to start. My steering is super squirly and once I got about 50 mph it gets to be hard to drive because it's so bad. Now I've heard it could be the infamous Death wobble. Now when I put the car into 4 wheel drive it's no where as bad. If anything much more drivable steering tightens up. Now onto my 2nd issue. The Jeep when I accelerate or just driving in general pulls hard to the right. It's even worse when I let off the gas it will pull hard to the right. Anything would be awesome guys. I checked brakes, they look in good shape, As do the rotors. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's lifted, isn't it? If it is then you'll find your issue there. If it isn't then check for a caliper hanging up.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

It is lifted when I bought the guy had a 2inch lift installed on it himself. I'm sorry to sound clueless but what would the lift be causing to mess up?

Last edited by Daly.logan; 04-16-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

The videos below have been provided by one of our very own JK-Forum members. He is very knowledgable on these matters, if you watch the below you will be able to troubleshoot your issue. If you still have questions let us know and give us all the details (make sure when you describe the problem you use proper terms i.e. Shimmy and DW are different, this will help us understand your problem).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiydwQHc7QQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k

-Brad
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Yes, the lift can cause issues. The squirly feel could be lower than expected caster due to the lift.

The pulling to one side could be a few things but check that all 8 of your control arms are tightened. A loose arm moving even 1/8" can cause some crazy handling and pull.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Do you have adjustable track bars and control arms? IF not axles and caster will be off by a little bit but on 2" of lift it should not be as bad as you describe. Check for joint wear in the control arms, tie rod ends, track bar, and drag link. Death wobble is a violent shaking of the front axle where you can barely hold on to it. What you are describing is not death wobble.

Measure between your upper and lower shock mounts to see how much actual lift you have, someone will post up a diagram showing what is stock, and if you can post some photos of your coils and shocks to see if we can identify anything.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

As Dirtman suggested.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	nu7yjeny.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	670356

Quick Reply: Need some advice, suggestions 2007 Jeep Wrangler X