JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Nitro Sleeve Install - that went well! Plus, a few new tips. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/nitro-sleeve-install-went-well-plus-few-new-tips-286329/)

Invest2m4 06-27-2015 12:35 PM

Disassembling the diff won't help unless you remove the axle seals as well. Way too much work. I've installed five sets of these and never even popped a cover off. No issues at all.

My advice is once you get the tubes cleaned, grab a sleeve off the dry ice and do a really quick test fit (like 5 seconds and then back to the ice). If the sleeve doesn't go in at all by hand, I usually run some sand paper through the tubes. I use a flexible kind and wrap the paint roller with it and run it on the drill.

I just got sick of having a sleeve that just wouldn't go in. I figure I can always weld the ends if it is not as tight as I'd like, but that's never been an issue....

allthefineprint 06-29-2015 12:14 PM

what happens to the junk that is created when you either sand or do other prep? doesn't it find its way into the diff?

I'm down with the dry ice and quickfitting. I've alos heard that bore hone cleans the housing out really well- but I like your idea of the paint roller better - what did you use pb blaster for? the cleaning process?

also good with the high pressure grease for lube. thanks for the help, this is one mod that scares me a bit.

Invest2m4 06-29-2015 02:10 PM

There is way more crap that gets into your diffs from wheeling than from cleaning the tubes. I wouldn't even worry about. If anything, change the fluid when you're done. All the crap sticks to the paint roller. It's not going to get past the axle seal anyway.

I like the idea of wrapping some flexible sand paper to a paint roller. Something like a bump of rust or even a burr can make it a miserable process. I did it that way the last two times and it went much better.

Regardless, I'd have a BFH on standby and some sort of large driving tool. Sometimes they just don't want to go in.

I know of they barely want to start, it will be bad news.

auceny 07-10-2015 07:23 AM

Invest do you think there would be any problems installing these after installing C gussets? The roller liners you used are the just normal paint rollers? What keeps the sand paper on the roller and from falling off inside the axle?

Invest2m4 07-10-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by auceny (Post 4120481)
Invest do you think there would be any problems installing these after installing C gussets? The roller liners you used are the just normal paint rollers? What keeps the sand paper on the roller and from falling off inside the axle?

Don't do the hammer in sleeves after welding. Even 1/1000" movement and it will be miserable.

Yes, regular paint rollers. Spend the few extra dollars for the lint free kind. I usually go through 4-5.

In the paint department at lowes I found a "flexible" sand paper. I just wrapped it around a paint roller and tapped the ends of it to the roller. Nothing fancy.

auceny 07-10-2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Invest2m4 (Post 4120687)
Don't do the hammer in sleeves after welding. Even 1/1000" movement and it will be miserable. Yes, regular paint rollers. Spend the few extra dollars for the lint free kind. I usually go through 4-5. In the paint department at lowes I found a "flexible" sand paper. I just wrapped it around a paint roller and tapped the ends of it to the roller. Nothing fancy.

Thanks. I was planning to get 35's, gussets, lca skids, and eventually get around to the sleeves. But this might change that order a little bit. The hammer in do scare me a little cause I can see myself having one of the nightmare installs.

ikaros 07-11-2015 06:12 AM

This is one of the mods I plan to do.
Is this only needed on the front axle since that's what gets most stress from turning, etc.
Or is everyone installing front and back?

I figured front only but wanted to be sure

Invest2m4 07-12-2015 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ikaros (Post 4120781)
This is one of the mods I plan to do. Is this only needed on the front axle since that's what gets most stress from turning, etc. Or is everyone installing front and back? I figured front only but wanted to be sure

Correct. There are no sleeves for the rear. The only issue there has been the plug welds failing and the tubes either rotating or coming out. Rare, but if you're worried, weld the tubes to the diff.

auceny 07-24-2015 02:32 PM

Where can you buy dry ice from?

bryanluu 07-24-2015 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by auceny (Post 4126239)
Where can you buy dry ice from?

any grocery store