Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Park brake cable tightening - shortening - fix

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question:
I have read and watched a view you tube videos on how to adjust the parking brake. The only statement that confuses me is when I am told to adjust the star thingamajig until I feel a little bit of resistance. Is the resistance supposed to be felt with the e brake disengaged? So in other words. Adjust the star thingamajig with the e brake off?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDAYJK
Question:
I have read and watched a view you tube videos on how to adjust the parking brake. The only statement that confuses me is when I am told to adjust the star thingamajig until I feel a little bit of resistance. Is the resistance supposed to be felt with the e brake disengaged? So in other words. Adjust the star thingamajig with the e brake off?

Thanks
Yes, the idea is to adjust with the e brake off so that the brake shoes just make contact then back them off just a little. You want them as close to contacting as possible so that when you pull the handle they don't have far to travel to engage. Easier said than done..lol..I've fooled with mine a couple times now and its operation is still a joke. I have a 26 year old mazda truck that you could park on a cliff and my '11 model JK will hardly hold on a slight incline.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I've got to revert to my days in the military and chock my wheels when I park, can't go wrong with that.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by baileyj
I guess I've got to revert to my days in the military and chock my wheels when I park, can't go wrong with that.
I know you wrote that tongue in cheek, but if you're descending a steep hill and lose brakes, it would be nice to have a good, working e-brake. You can turn off the engine, of course, to stop--perhaps more reliably so if you drive a manual trans. But in some situations you still have to get down. Black Bear, which is one way downhill, comes to mind. I would really like to get mine fixed, if I could figure out how. Have tried many things, including complete rebuild, to no avail. The only original part left is the cable. :-(
Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I would really like to get mine fixed, if I could figure out how. Have tried many things, including complete rebuild, to no avail. The only original part left is the cable. :-(
Have you been to Maine, yet? Let me know if you are up this way and we'll take a look at it.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I know you wrote that tongue in cheek, but if you're descending a steep hill and lose brakes, it would be nice to have a good, working e-brake. You can turn off the engine, of course, to stop--perhaps more reliably so if you drive a manual trans. But in some situations you still have to get down. Black Bear, which is one way downhill, comes to mind. I would really like to get mine fixed, if I could figure out how. Have tried many things, including complete rebuild, to no avail. The only original part left is the cable. :-(
Just trying to bring a little humor, but seriously I'm with you. I understand how the thing is supposed to work, but I would rather be able to go underneath and adjust a cable tightening setup than rely on this mechanical contraption.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone retrofitted a lever/cable assembly from a vehicle that actually functions correctly? I might have to look around at a u-pull-it junk yard....
Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Spraying brake cleaner on the assembly magically fixed this problem for me. I had already adjusted the p brake star adjuster at the wheels. The brake lever acted different every time I pulled, but generally never felt tight or held. After "cleaning" works in around 4 or 5 clicks every time now and holds my JKU. It's been several days now. Thanks ronjenx!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...0/#post4306552
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks to this stupid design, I almost got killed, thank God only my driver door got killed. Recall you cheap bastards!!!

Quick Reply: Park brake cable tightening - shortening - fix