Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

PCV Oil Catch Can

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is one clean engine!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Here's what's been going on so far. It appears that although the bowl is working, the air flow inside it is causing the oil to migrate up the sides, and right back into the intake. The only way to remedy this would be to put something on the base to capture the oil, i.e. a baffle, a screen, or maybe steel wool.

Here's day one.

... and day four with 130 miles.

... and here's what's happening (engine running). You can see the oil creeping up the sides

So, as I stated before, I'm currently making a larger catch-can (12oz) with an internal oil capturing contraption which will utilize 5/8 openings throughout along with a drain valve. As an added note, the fuids the catch is capturing appears to be just plain motor oil, amber in color. The amount of it passing through however, is substantial. I'm guessing about a teaspoon every 20-30 miles.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Here's the new one; almost done.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Well, that's it. If this one doesn't work, I'm giving up, though I'm very optimistic with it. It's basically the same design as the plastic one, only it's about 3X bigger and has an internal filter which should capture the oil and hold on to it.

Essentially the whole bottom part is the oil reservoir which is separated from the top by the drain strainer and steel wool. A one inch copper pipe feeds the crankcase gases directly onto the filter. All fittings have been JB welded on.

The whole thing is made of metal this time and utilizes 5/8" throughout so I'm not concerned about air restriction.

Bottom

Located a pre-existing bolt on which to attach a bracket (green arrow).

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't think you mentioned it, so I have to ask: Is the stock PCV valve still in place?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

You know I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I have a Steeda setup I bought for my '08 Stang GT and never installed. Might as well as throw it on this weekend.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the update and thats alot of oil . that canister you are useing , what is it ? now all you have to do is put a logo on it and sell it to them
Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a stainless 12 oz. "wide mouth" water bottle. About $4 on e-Bay. If you search (google) around you'll find people making them out of all sorts of things, mainly the turbo guys.

So far it's been on for only about 120 miles (mostly highway) and it has yet to relenquish any oil from the bleeder valve. Possibly due to the fact that the valve protrudes about 1/3" above the bottom of the base inside, so it might have to accumulate some more oil before it'll drain. In order to get an accurate reading as to how much vapors it captures I'll have to wait until oil starts coming out then start the mileage at zero again.

I'm faily confident this has to be working. If the little plastic separator was able to capture oil (just not hold on to it), then this one has to work. It has bigger air openings and a larger chamber which is separate from the oil reservoir. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: PCV Oil Catch Can