Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Protect Your GoPro

Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Protect Your GoPro

So for Christmas this year I received a GoPro HD Hero2. Best thing ever so far!!

For those who don’t know what it is...It’s awesome.

As stated on their website: “GoPro cameras are used by more professional athletes, sports filmmakers and core enthusiasts than any other camera in the world. The HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition is the most advanced GoPro camera yet. Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197′ (60m), capable of capturing professional full 170º wide angle 1080p video and 11 megapixel photos at a rate of 10 photos per second, the HD HERO2 is the world’s most versatile camera. Whether your goal is to capture a great day out with friends or you’re gunning for the cover of a magazine, the HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition can help you nail it and look like a HERO.”

My concern, while it has great durability, is protecting it while it is not being used or during transport.

My design was based from the nice looking case made specifically for the GoPro which is available on Amazon.com.

I was not really interested in the price or the fact that its arrival date for shipping was Jan 27-Feb 2. I may have considered it but I am destined for a ski trip to Whitefish and i would rather have a good case than a damaged camera. I first started looking at the smaller pistol cases that you can get at any outdoors place. I saw many with great face size but none with sufficient depth. I wanted to be able to cut out the foam to fit the GoPro along with the accessories.

Here is the item i found that worked the best. A water tight, plastic, three latch container. Looks like Glad Tupperware on steroids if you ask me. It cost me a whole $19.99 plus GST from Canadian Tire. I threw the stickers on the case before i even got a picture. I was a bit excited you could say. Lol.

With the careful hand and tracing, i used a couple different pieces of foam i bought at Fabricland for $5.88. The layers i made the case of consisted of the following.

---------------
½” foam
---------------

3” foam

---------------
½” foam.
---------------

I made the bottom a full sheet along the bottom of the container and then the second layer, the 3” layer, one full sheet which i cut out the shapes and necessary openings for some accessories. The top layer really turned out to be closer to 1” because i had to double up due to the lid having space in it.

Here is what it looked like once i finished.

And lastly, like i said before, im headed for a ski trip so here is my set up ideas i will be trying out!
The typical head mount....

Have a feeling this will be a bad one....

End of ski pole similar to a monopod with a pole mount.

Last edited by Mjkrakow; 12-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea.. I used a small pelican style case I found at a thrift store for mine... Same idea...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got one for Christmas and was looking for a case....great write up!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am going to just get a SLR style camera bag. Has more than enough room for everything and on amazon they are like $8 shipped. Plus they dont take up a lot of room
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wish I would've know this a couple months ago before I spent $70 on a case. I absolutly love the GoPro. I cant wait to use it this winter out snowmobiling.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Great idea for a case. I just throw mine in a soft camera bag or my backpack. They can take a beating, so I am not to worried about damaging it during transport. However, for the helmet cam, I like to use the mounting strap as opposed to the sticky pads. I like the strap because it mounts the camera lower on the helmet infront of your forhead, where it's less likely to be taken off by a tree branch. I'm going to make a teather to my jacket as well, just in case I end up tumbling down the mountain and the strap gets pulled off. It would suck to loose that little camera in a few feet of powder.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubichronic
I'm going to make a teather to my jacket as well, just in case I end up tumbling down the mountain and the strap gets pulled off. It would suck to loose that little camera in a few feet of powder.
Im planning on doing the same thing. I was thinking of using the fine air craft cable. Then it wont be going anywhere!!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like it. I use the chesty mount when skiing but want to try the ski pole as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mjkrakow
So for Christmas this year I received a GoPro HD Hero2. Best thing ever so far!!

Have a feeling this will be a bad one....

End of ski pole similar to a monopod with a pole mount.
Do you have any video from the ski pole mount? I would be interested to see how that worked out?

Quick Reply: Protect Your GoPro