JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Rattling in the boot of the stick shift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/rattling-boot-stick-shift-204306/)

Mjkrakow 11-11-2011 10:11 PM

Rattling in the boot of the stick shift

So does anyone else have any problems with a rattling noise in the center console?
It only seems to happen in the lower end of the gears (1, 2, 3).
From what i can tell, it is originating from just below the boot, but i cant see anything below that would be rattling.

any thoughts?

csb93 11-15-2011 11:02 AM

I have the same problem not sure what it is though...any one have any ideas??

Kaisoboy 11-15-2011 11:39 AM

It's actually from the shifter knob. I have the same thing except I only hear it in 3rd gear. I pulled off the shifter knob and there was no more rattle. As soon as I put the knob back on it rattled. Hence I decided to change the knob to the Scott Drakes.

Cheers

RMucho 11-27-2012 03:29 PM

I have a 2010 on on the past two road trips I have noticed a rattle in 6th gear around 2500 RPM's. I know it's not my shifter knob b/c I have changed this out two months ago. It's not from the knob, it's lower. Any ideas what it is and what was needed to fix it? Funny thing, I took the jeep to the dealership today as it's still under warranty and as you would know, I could not re-create the noise.

Any ideas?

a.stone 12-02-2012 11:35 PM

Same thing here and mine only has 500 miles on it. I'm ok if it's just a jeep thing... But will be watching this thread in case it's prelude to something more serious. To clarify its a very deep strong vibration that works its way from the trans on heavy acceleration. Appreciate it if anyone has any ideas. Also this is my first post so good to meet you all! Also my first jeep... And I've never loved an auto more!

RMucho 01-08-2013 06:20 PM

Update

I never could get it to re-create for the dealership but the other night on the way home, I heard it again in 6th gear. Articles on the net say it's nothing to worry about. At least now it's on record at the dealership so if something does happen, it's all good.

dxbjeep 01-13-2013 08:59 AM

100% the shifter knob, change it out for a sickspeed shifter knob set and you'll have solved your problem

Whiskey Bravo 01-13-2013 12:35 PM

I had a separate shifter problem previously. Dealer replaced throw out bearing, and i had this new rattle noise since. Dealer "can't hear it"...

Some other thread mentioned some kind of pin rubbing in the assembly.

Icepick11 01-14-2013 07:12 PM

I have a 2011 jk sport 6speed manual and it has the rattle noise in the lower three gears. My friend also has a 2013 same model and trans (with the 3.6) and it also makes the rattle noise in the lower three.

Rogue26 03-14-2013 10:30 AM

I have this same rattle on my 13 JKU and if I hold the 4wd shifter handle hard to the left the rattle goes away. Haven't had a chance to contact the dealer to see if there is something else related to it.

Whiskey Bravo 03-14-2013 10:46 AM

Same here, 2011 sahara

wranglerbrotherhood 04-10-2013 06:47 AM

I had this noise for a while now. I read that it was common and that the throw out bearing was usually the issue. So when I did the clutch I also installed a Crown Automotive throw out bearing and even a new clutch fork. Unfortunately the noise still happens and seems to even be louder. It happens in just about every gear except first, at lower RPMs when I'm accelerating, especially uphill.

JKmudslinger09 04-13-2013 04:14 AM

I have this same rattle in my 09. It's crazy loud though outside. I had my girlfriend drive by me with it and oh man.. it's awful. I just ordered a new clutch and throw out bearing from northridge 4x4. Hopefully this fixes it... Awesome company and customer service by the way :)

Armory 04-27-2013 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09 (Post 3515819)
I have this same rattle in my 09. It's crazy loud though outside. I had my girlfriend drive by me with it and oh man.. it's awful. I just ordered a new clutch and throw out bearing from northridge 4x4. Hopefully this fixes it... Awesome company and customer service by the way :)

my jeep started doing this sound, sounds like shit! what to do?

JKmudslinger09 04-28-2013 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Armory (Post 3534674)

my jeep started doing this sound, sounds like shit! what to do?

Armory, I'm taking my jeep in to get a new clutch on the 30th. I'm also gonna have the throw out bearing changed and the flywheel turned. I didn't buy any of that mopar junk. I got a centerforce dual friction clutch and a centerforce throw out bearing from Dave at northridge. Excellent deal by the way. I 've searched all over and asked the dealership and they just said they'll have to open it up and take a look. Well for those o us that have a manual tranny, the clutch isn't covered anyway so I'm just spending an extra $30 an hour for labor so I'm just gonna take it to my usual mechanic. I'll let you know how it goes.

NWranglerS 04-29-2013 11:50 AM

I only have 3000 miles on my Jeep and it's making a slight rattling noise only when I accelerate at a certain rate. If I apply upward pressure on the transfer case shift lever it stops. It annoys the hell out of me!

Whiskey Bravo 04-29-2013 12:42 PM

Lol how on earth did you figure out that pulling on the tcase lever stopped it!

olyelr 05-08-2013 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo (Post 3536690)
Lol how on earth did you figure out that pulling on the tcase lever stopped it!

Trial and error!

I have tried just about every push/pull configuration and cant get the rattle to stop yet. I will have to try this!

GP13SU 05-12-2013 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 3536612)
I only have 3000 miles on my Jeep and it's making a slight rattling noise only when I accelerate at a certain rate. If I apply upward pressure on the transfer case shift lever it stops. It annoys the hell out of me!

I've got this same issue! Seems to only happen after driving a decently long distance though. I took it to the dealer, and they heard the noise, but they couldn't find anything wrong after keeping it for a few days.

sky 05-23-2013 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by olyelr (Post 3546850)

Trial and error!

I have tried just about every push/pull configuration and cant get the rattle to stop yet. I will have to try this!

What does the transfer case lever look like

Whiskey Bravo 05-23-2013 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sky (Post 3563118)

What does the transfer case lever look like

Its the 2wd/4h/4lo selector

sky 05-23-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo (Post 3563139)

Its the 2wd/4h/4lo selector

Omg i feel like a dipshit

Whiskey Bravo 05-23-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sky (Post 3563987)

Omg i feel like a dipshit

Walk it off :p

BadBarret 06-03-2013 11:34 PM

It's been mentioned before in another thread that the transfer case shifter cable vibrates where it runs under the front console. If you lift up the center console enough you can see where it runs beneath and has very little clearance. If you cut a small hose you can slide it around the cable so it's between the cable and the metal frame. Seems to have worked for many people.

jk_sea 06-14-2013 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BadBarret (Post 3575216)
It's been mentioned before in another thread that the transfer case shifter cable vibrates where it runs under the front console. If you lift up the center console enough you can see where it runs beneath and has very little clearance. If you cut a small hose you can slide it around the cable so it's between the cable and the metal frame. Seems to have worked for many people.

Thank you...I now know what I'm going to be doing in the garage, shortly after getting home today!!!!

My Jeep started it first and then our Rubi started doing it too. Super annoying. The 3.6 has a really nice sound to it under load, and it's impossible to enjoy it with the shifter/console sounding like it's going to rattle itself to pieces.

rndptkea 07-22-2013 12:39 PM

Just copied from my previous post on another thread but it might help sorted my noise out...I had a noise only whilst in fifth gear, and going over bumpy roads.... I lifted the first boot on the gear lever inside the jeep exposing a secondary rubber boot which had two fork like locater pins on the front and two locking clips on the back... Due to this secondary boot having come loose caused my noisy 5th gear rattle, I had to do this fix twice as it unclipped the first time round

StreetNDirt 01-19-2014 08:36 PM

I have the same transfer case lever rattle issue on my '14 JK Rubicon. I was really bugging me; it sounded like it was coming from the center console. I started tapping on things to see if I could hear it and when I tap on the transfer case lever it makes the identical noise. While driving when I hear it and grab ahold of the lever it will often stop. I know it's a Jeep and not a Cadillac but it is pretty irritating. Next oil change at the dealer I'll have them look at it. I may check on the cable sooner if I get a chance.

Tread1998 12-26-2016 11:33 PM

Help

Originally Posted by Rogue26 (Post 3473973)
I have this same rattle on my 13 JKU and if I hold the 4wd shifter handle hard to the left the rattle goes away. Haven't had a chance to contact the dealer to see if there is something else related to it.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem, I'm having the exact same issue.

baileyj 12-28-2016 03:56 AM

In my 2007, its the evap canister, sounds like a tin can with rocks in it, noise will travel up the drivetrain tunnel, making it sound like its something shifter related. I found it by having someone in the cab while I banged around underneath. There is something the evap canister that rattles, when I removed it, noise went away, gonna get a new one and replace it. Wish I could just remove the canister from the equation and bypass it, don't have to worry about smog testing in Alabama.