Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear headrest removal

Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod250
I just popped off the springs that make them pop up automatically. My headrests lay flat out of sight unless I manually pull them back up.
The backseat headrests on your 2 door fold back?!! My '14 Sport rear headrests are completely stationary, even when I "Fold-and-Tumble" the backseats over.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry. Mines a 4 door.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Rear Seat Headrest Resurrection Thread

So I've seen the multitude post here and other sites and the only clear cut way to avoid these headrest is to either fold them down or fold them back with bungee cords. So we're contacting the dealership and having them deconstruction the rear seat just to remove these annoying headrest and why are removing them?. cause the seat would be laying flat or down without any passengers.

At this point the headrest are pushing into the front seats and even marring the front seat pockets. Removing just the headrest padding doesn't accomplish our objective. Removing the entire headrest system and it's components. Period.

You can look for a future update on this as well as pics from the dealership who agreed to take pics during the deconstruction process.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
At this point the headrest are pushing into the front seats and even marring the front seat pockets. Removing just the headrest padding doesn't accomplish our objective. Removing the entire headrest system and it's components. Period..
My rear seat isn't down much, but this fact has always kind of annoyed me as well. Outside the the front seats being moved as far forward as possible, that headrest is contacting the back of the seat in some form or fashion. If down for any length of time it does indeed mar the seat a bit.....and it's irritating that it pulls the pocket lip down as the seat fold and and the headrest slides by. I don't hate it to the point I'd pull the headrest, but it seems they would have improved the design over the years. The design in the JL looks much more thought out in general.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The objective is to keep the rear seats in place, yet allow them to lay more flat without the headrest or the tempered steel rods exposed. It's not like we're going to be hauling anyone around, but need the rear seats kept in the vehicle at all times just in case. laying the seats flat will help with our storage options and other possible adaptations to the vehicle alter on.
I would suspect that because all those who've tried to remove this hardware have not attempted to actually remove the hardware from within the seat's foam padding. Simply cutting the tempered steel rods or bungee cord the headrest back, is nothing more than jerry rigged attempt at best. If you're going to do it right, take it apart and put it back together like nothing ever happened.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed my rear headrest from my 4dr. Was not too bad.i believe I had to remove the upholstering a bit to achieve the goal. But in the end well worth it.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
The objective is to keep the rear seats in place, yet allow them to lay more flat without the headrest or the tempered steel rods exposed. It's not like we're going to be hauling anyone around, but need the rear seats kept in the vehicle at all times just in case. laying the seats flat will help with our storage options and other possible adaptations to the vehicle alter on.
I would suspect that because all those who've tried to remove this hardware have not attempted to actually remove the hardware from within the seat's foam padding. Simply cutting the tempered steel rods or bungee cord the headrest back, is nothing more than jerry rigged attempt at best. If you're going to do it right, take it apart and put it back together like nothing ever happened.
It sure doesn't fix headrest issue, but I built a rear storage unit a la ronjenx design from years ago, and it's been one of the best mods I've done. I just rebuilt a new one that I bedlined when I did my tub over the holidays. It gives me a great trunk to secure my trail tools in when out and about, and flips over to create a nice flat surface in the back to either sleep on, or simplify cargo on. I always hated that huge gap we have when the rear seats are folded down.

Quick Reply: Rear headrest removal