Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seal on 2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seal on 2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Just did an oil change and noticed gear oil inside the left real wheel of my 2008 Rubicon. 48K miles...but second owner. No telling what the last owner did to her. I've ordered the replacement parts and they should be here this week (currently overseas with the military, so no telling when the parts will actually arrive). I was wondering if anyone here has ever done this on the 2008 Rubicon? I found a write up by popo343 https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+wheel+bearing, but this was an X-Model. I'm new to Jeeps...is this the same procedure I'll need to follow? Does the 2008 X Unlimited have the same parts as the 2008 Rubicon rear axle and wheels?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

"X", or Rubicon, the procedure will be the same.

No need to cut anything, though. If you use a bearing splitter, everything will press apart. (Google "bearing splitter 1130" for a picture.)

Regarding removing the race from the axle tube: You may find it will remove easily with your fingers. That in itself not a sign anything is wrong. Signs that it has been spinning in the axle tube would indicate a problem.
If it's not easily removed, use a slide hammer/puller. Don't cut it out.

The service manual says to never reuse the 4 nuts that hold the retainer in place.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-06-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: more data

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seal on 2008 Rubicon Unlimited