Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Retrofit 2010 Factory UConnect Mic

Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit 2010 Factory UConnect Mic

This may be an over the top mod, but ever since I saw the 2010 factory UConnect mic that comes with the MyGig, I wanted one in my Jeep. This stick on mic is OK, but having a fully integrated mic that fit in the panel was very attractive to me. Thanks to TJT, I had the part number in hand, and ordered one up. Problem came when it arrived. The cable on it was only about 12" long and wouldn't plug into the back of the radio. Therefore I decided to get creative, and combine everything I had to make it work:

What you need is the following:
Some Mopar add on UConnect mic - You can use the Mopar mic from either the MyGig kit, or the UConnect module kit for the non-MyGig radios as well. The mic in both kits is the same, and will work for doing this.
1NJ831DVAA - $30 - 2010 Trim panel and mic - Originally TJT gave me part numbers for the panel and mic, but when I got the panel it, it already had the mic preinstalled it in it.

You'll basically be diassembling the 2 mics to swap parts over, then putting it all back together to make one complete pillar mounted mic. Here we go.

1. Remove the mic from the trim panel. The mic has 2 small tabs on it, you can squeeze those in to remove it. You'll be left with this:

2. Turn the mic on it's side. Using a small flat screwdriver, pry apart the halves of the mic. This will leave you with the outside grille, which you can set aside, and the mic body:

3. On the mic, there is a small fabric windscreen. It is stuck on the mic body by adhesive. Working from a corner, peel the adhesive back and remove the windscreen.:

4. With the windscreen off, it should look like this:

5. Gently using small needle nose pliers, remove the mic electronics from the body by pulling up on the round silver part. It's in there pretty good, so you have to pull firmly to get it out, but try not to break off the circuit board or wiring. I recommend starting with the guts of the 2010 mic, since you'll be discarding them anyway.

6. You should now have an empty sell, outside grille and windscreen from the 2010 mic. I don't have any pictures of that part.

7. Moving over to the Mopar UConnect mic. Start by removing the adhesive foam on the back. Once the foam is off, you'll see a small phillips screw in the upper left corner that needs to be removed.:

8. After removing the screw the halves of the mic will come apart. Remove the guts of this mic in the same way you did from the new 2010 mic.

9. Take the guts from the Mopar mic, and put them into the body of the 2010 mic. I just lined everything up, and pushed down on the silver part until it fully seated itself in the mic body.

10. Reattach the windscreen to the mic body. It should look just like the picture in step 3, except with the Mopar mic guts and wiring now in it.

11. If you're mic is not already on the A-pillar, now is the time to run the wiring up to the panel. I ran mine under the instrument cluster above the column, and then upper the panel.

12. Remove the original upper A-pillar trim. To do this you need to remove the sunvisor and the small screw head clip in the bottom hole, the pull down to remove the fastener in the top of the panel.

13. Take you reassembled mic and push it through the hole on the new A-pillar, leaving the mic and a couple of inches of wire hanging out.

14. Reassemble the upper A-pillar with your new one

15. Take the outer grille you removed in step 2 and snap it back on to the mic body.

16. With your mic fully assembled, push the mic back up into the hole and pop it into place. It will look like this when finished:

You're now all finished, and have the flush mounted 2010 UConnect mic. Beauty of this mod is that by using the Mopar mic, you can do this on any variant of UConnect, whether it's a MyGig or not, since the Mopar mics are the same in both kits.

If anyone else wants to try it, and is brave with a dremel, I ended up ordering the panel and mic, only to find that the mic was preinstalled in the panel. Since I ended up with a non-returnable mic, I'd be glad to sell it to you, and you can cut the hole in your stock panel to mount it.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
T1NJ831DVAA - $30 - 2010 Trim panel and mic - Originally TJT gave me part numbers for the panel and mic, but when I got the panel it, it already had the mic preinstalled it in it.
That is just odd. The mic alone is around $70. Why would it be more more than twice as much as the A pillar molding with the mic? Also the original Mopar mic was like $40 from the dealer. Is the mic in the 2010 something special despite the appearance?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree, it was ridiculously odd, I couldn't understand it at all, but I didn't question it. As far as the mic itself, the 2010 mic does have the windscreen I showed, but the actual internals looked exactly the same to me.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let us know how it continues to work out for you. I am considering doing it too.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default enabling the uConnect?

ok...perhaps this is covered in another thread somewhere, but besides the lockpic k V2, is there a way to enable the uConnect feature on a MyGig/Nav unit that I didn't purchase that option when I ordered my JK ? It's not as simple as adding the mic to the back of the unit....is it?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

TJ2JK, you can enable the mic yourself, by plugging it in, then going into the enginering menu and pressing the button that says "Enable JK HF/VR". All set after that.

BadTime, so far, so good. Works just as well as it did before, but now nice and flush mounted. I've talked to my wife and a couple others I've had conversatiosn ith, and the reported no change in how the phone call sounds on their end. I'll have to wait until warmer weather to test top down function.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

does this work with non migig. i have the 6disc changer
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

To hagve it work, you'd have to have the UConnect kit added and activated by the dealer. Once you have it all working, then you can use the mic from that kit, along with the 2010 parts to do this mod.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

If the cable on the mic that comes with the trim panel was long enough, would the plug on the end of the cable plug directly into the back of the mygig? Or does it need an adapter? Because if it would plug in, would it be possible to just cut the mic cable and splice in some wire to make it long enough to reach?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

No, the plug on it was wrong for plugging into the back of the MyGig. It was a small 3 wire flat connector, where the MyGig needs a larger 10 pin square connector.

Quick Reply: Retrofit 2010 Factory UConnect Mic