Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Roof Rack For Hard Top- Interests???

Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack For Hard Top- Interests???

Im going to put my thinking cap on and try a roof rack project with Thule supplies out there this weekend.

I have the parts on the way and an aluminum rack thats light. The only thing is weight support and roll bar bushings I can use to give the hardtop support.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default YES, I'm interested!

First of all, you are the man!
I love your Write-Ups. After I read them I feel like I owe you money...

I need to carry our roof top cargo carrier. I don't want to stress the hardtop, but we only use it for luggage (the dogs own the back!)

I'm looking forward to what you post!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

I would like to see the roll bar supports .!!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt P
First of all, you are the man!
I love your Write-Ups. After I read them I feel like I owe you money...

I need to carry our roof top cargo carrier. I don't want to stress the hardtop, but we only use it for luggage (the dogs own the back!)

I'm looking forward to what you post!
Hey Bro,

Donations are always welcome!! I hope you did some of the write ups! I hope I have everything I need this weekend to tackle the job. Still need a few more things, but I should be good.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK ran into some snags- looks like I need to take the top off and bought the wrong size bars- need 58" not 50.

Support braces are going to be hard but still thinking
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DBB888
Im going to put my thinking cap on and try a roof rack project with Thule supplies out there this weekend.
YES! YOU DA MAN!

DBB... since we are still in the planning stages here... I have been concerned about stressing the top like I think alot of us are so I was thinking about putting a piece of channel (Steel, Aluminum, whatever) across the top... there is a channel already molded into place on the inside of the top that I think would be a good place to install that.

Forgive this picture... I had to use my phone and my top is on my garage floor:

You could bolt through the top and the channel to help distribute some of that weight. Just a thought... what do you think? I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was talking to some of my other car gurus guys who work on cars too and we all agreed that the channels that run on the top must be as close to the edge as possible. This way the weight is more on the side of the top rather than the the flimsy middle.

The side of the top also is more rigid with a second fiberglass "U" brace- Hollow but there. I was also thinking of shooting some Permanat seal foam expander they sell at home depot after its on.

One idea is to use triangle shaped braces and fiberglass them on the top for re-enforcement and at the roll bar area use steel bar bent to the top shape and fiberglassed in.

Then use a med density rubber bushing across the top pressing down when the top is re installed.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack For Hard Top- Interests???