Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Seat belt alarm disable

Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt alarm disable

Can someone tell me how to disable that annoying alarm when the seat belt is off?
I can't do off-road with a seat belt on

I tried the following which I read in the manual but it didn't worked...

"NOTE:
The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position.

The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.
4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE:
Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened."
Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

This worked for me. I have done this in a few different cars and it always worked.
I am not sure why it is not working for you, but the important steps are:
-DO NOT START THE JEEP.

-Get in.
-Buckle-up
-turn the key to ACC on. Where everything starts chiming and beeping. My Jeep has an orchestra of sounds.
-Once the seatbelt dummy light goes out, unbuckle and buckle 3 or more times. (go for broke and do it about 5 or 6 times).
-turn off and remove the key. You should hear a confirmation tone.

I just reiterated what the manual said, but sometimes reading it differently helps.

If that doesn't work, there is something else afoot. Find the hot wire to the speaker and snip it. Just kidding. I wouldn't do that. (unless you just want complete silence).
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by t0ast
This worked for me. I have done this in a few different cars and it always worked.
I am not sure why it is not working for you, but the important steps are:
-DO NOT START THE JEEP.

-Get in.
-Buckle-up
-turn the key to ACC on. Where everything starts chiming and beeping. My Jeep has an orchestra of sounds.
-Once the seatbelt dummy light goes out, unbuckle and buckle 3 or more times. (go for broke and do it about 5 or 6 times).
-turn off and remove the key. You should hear a confirmation tone.

I just reiterated what the manual said, but sometimes reading it differently helps.

If that doesn't work, there is something else afoot. Find the hot wire to the speaker and snip it. Just kidding. I wouldn't do that. (unless you just want complete silence).
Thanks man, it works
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Cool!
Glad I could help.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

While you're at it, make sure you up your life insurance policy. Good luck. Let's hope you don't need it.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great - thanks for the tip. I am planning to do this today. I take my seatbelt off to get my parking garage card out out of my back pocket every day and have to listen to the whining the whole way until I get parked. I always wear my seatbelt on public roads, though.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I finally did this after 2 years. Works fine for me.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Worked for me, my favorite "mod" to date!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

I did this about an hour ago, worked like a champ.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Sheesh - Offroading without Seatbelts in Pompano Beach could be Deadly..............

Quick Reply: Seat belt alarm disable