Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Sidemarker light mod with video

Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruubdood
I made a video showing how to turn your sidemarker into a blinker. Hope this will answer some questions and make it easy on everyone.
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bcXueAXphs&feature=youtu.be
Thanks, took longer to watch the vid than actually go out and do it! Great job.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent, & thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesS

OP.... The video was great.... and informative....
Not to knock the way you do your wiring, but I would NEVER use a SCOTCH-LOC for electrical connections.
While they are quick way to tap into a wire; the metal inside the plastic connector will rust after prolonged exposure to moisture and the metal that taps into the turn signal wire will almost definitely cut several of the strands of the copper wire making the wire weaker.
What I did was to remove a little of the insulation from the turn signal wire, wrap the black wire around the bare wire and solder the connection, then insulate the soldered area and reinsert it inside the factory black plastic split shielding.
While my procedure takes longer.... I know the connection will last for the life of the vehicle.
Absolutely, I agree it is a much better method to solder this is more for the understanding of what wires are to be connected and to demonstrate this fairly quickly. I would only add using a little Vaseline or something equivalent will help reduce rust and water damage also wrap entire areas with quality electrical tape.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Does the side market light flash if the lights are turned off? Like making a left turn during the day when no lights are needed?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Overnite
Does the side market light flash if the lights are turned off? Like making a left turn during the day when no lights are needed?
sure do, blink with front turn signals simultaneously. I'm one of many people that wonder why Jeep didn't do this at the factory. Such a nice easy addition for 15 min of time.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great video, the marker lights blink the same time as the turn signal when the lights are off and when lights are on they alternate.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k0260

sure do, blink with front turn signals simultaneously. I'm one of many people that wonder why Jeep didn't do this at the factory. Such a nice easy addition for 15 min of time.
I am all over this as soon as I get home. I will become one side marker light flashing fool.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Also, another way to insulate the solder connection is to use liquid tape.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Quick question. I've got an '08 and when I glanced at the passenger side wiring for the turn signal the coloring of the wires are upside down from the drivers side. I'm assuming I would then choose the white wire on top? I know there is the really long thread about this mod but don't want to read thousands of responses to find my answer. If anyone has insight on this please let me know before I have a bigger wiring problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureMarineLT
Quick question. I've got an '08 and when I glanced at the passenger side wiring for the turn signal the coloring of the wires are upside down from the drivers side. I'm assuming I would then choose the white wire on top? I know there is the really long thread about this mod but don't want to read thousands of responses to find my answer. If anyone has insight on this please let me know before I have a bigger wiring problem.
The white wire farthest from the black wire is the right one.

Quick Reply: Sidemarker light mod with video