Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Smittybilt overhead GEAR writeup

Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sheepdog
What do you think of using industrial velcro for attaching the rear panel to the tailgate? I agree that the screws may not hold up.
I don't have any experience with industrial Velcro but it could certainly help if used in conjunction with the screws. I guess you could try it without screws and add them later if needed. I probably have 20lbs of crap on there and could prob put more, if you think indst Velcro would hold that give it a shot.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Velcro

Originally Posted by lonestar12
I don't have any experience with industrial Velcro but it could certainly help if used in conjunction with the screws. I guess you could try it without screws and add them later if needed. I probably have 20lbs of crap on there and could prob put more, if you think indst Velcro would hold that give it a shot.
I am using 3m dual lock tape, the same stuff that comes on an ez-pass. It is working better than standard velcro which has a cloth or "fuzzy" side. This stuff is stiffer. So far it is holding up very well with 4 strips across the top and 4 across the bottom. I think it's better than the screws it comes with but I am also not loading anything heavy. First aid kit and some basic supplies.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

this could be very handy...
Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Pos screws

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE SUPPLIED SCREWS. I installed the tailgate version, and snapped half of the screws on their way in, and that was WITH drilling pilot holesand using a hand-screwdriver! (No way the screws would have survived a powered screwdriver) After I snapped the screws, I gave up and got some sheet metal screws I had lying around and installed it using them. It's held up great for the past 5 months.

I agree about the quality of the Smittybuilt bags, but they work well enough. I've got a 25ft jumper cable in the big bag, and my winch controller and gloves in the smaller. I've got a couple other MOLLE pouches holding misc gear. The last two rows of webbing by the hinge are rendered USELESS by the factory sub, but I was expecting that.

Overall, for the price it's a nice way to add space, esp if you have other MOLLE gear. I don't think I'm going to try the overhead version, seeing as I enjoy pulling my hardtop panels whenever I can... too bad, I would've liked more storage space up there...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop Removal

The overhead version won't impair your hardtop removal at all, just remove all the outside clips first and lift it up a bit to remove the inner two clips. Works like a charm. Do the reverse to put the top back on.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default old thread but

ill toss it out there ! I just bought overhead console new . The price was right and i like it on my 2012 rubicon Yeh the bags tend to droop a bit, but over all satisfied with storage bags provided . Good for hunting equipment and other small items . It was installed with soft top still on. and did not have to remove it. Just pulled the front section back. pretty straight forward install beside the ridiculous instructions that can be tossed.
I have not used it long enough to know whats going to be a pita but so far i like the set up.
Other things will be attached im sure.

If the velcro upper straps are not pulled tight the bags will droop and the molle material. but once cinched up tight its pretty rigid . Also worth noting
*If the molle bags are not attached properly and are weaved wrong, then they will sag too. That rear bag has some heavy items in it so its low in photo. That can be strapped up a bit to sit tighter . Otherwise they sit up out of the way of mirror . im 5' 8 so my mirror can still be seen with no issue. If you can buy it on sale or a good price grab one i do not see any real reason not to. Ive thought about this product for years now and decided to get it. (Not regretting the purchase)

I may move the bags around a bit its not to hard to do even after its installed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	674887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	674888  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

I used rare earth magnets from Home Depot to help with the sag. They are about the size of a nickel and are pretty strong. I slid them under unused molle straps. They are strong enough to hold the molle fabric to the metal frame.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt overhead GEAR writeup