Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Soft Door Question

Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Door Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 silver JKU and I'm thinking of getting soft doors for the summer to go along with my Trektop nx. However, I'm not too comfortable with having soft doors in the back where my 7 and 3 year old girls sit... (and neither is my wife). So I guess I'm asking whether or not soft doors in the front and regular hard doors in the back would look stupid. I've looked around on the Internet and can't seem to find any pics of anyone with this setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't either, but I have seen pictures of someone that bought a set of Mopar factory half doors for the front and left the full doors on the rear. It looked pretty cool, in fact. I have a complete set of half doors, though, and just installed them in place of my hard top and full doors. Couldn't be happier. I don't have any young-uns like you, however. But, the half doors would be secure especially if you left the upper doors in place.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

I take my doors off whenever I can and only take off the front set. I just ordered a set of soft doors for the front only. I'll post up some pictures when I get them and put em on.

Personally, I don't think it looks weird only having the fronts off so I don't think it will be strange with only soft doors in the front.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bobsmith
I take my doors off whenever I can and only take off the front set. I just ordered a set of soft doors for the front only. I'll post up some pictures when I get them and put em on.

Personally, I don't think it looks weird only having the fronts off so I don't think it will be strange with only soft doors in the front.
Awesome. Thanks man. Please don't forget to post those pics when you get em.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mscotthall
Awesome. Thanks man. Please don't forget to post those pics when you get em.
Np bud. I ordered tonight and am pretty pumped for them to get here. If they weren't so damn expensive I would have rush shipped those suckers haha.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130423_175932_195.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	450334Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130423_185525_411.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	450335

Got the doors today. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures but there she is with soft doors on the fronts only. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Although, everything you have read about the soft doors is true. Namely, the fitting is terrible. You really gotta give these things a pull to get them to shut and a lot more effort than I thought to open.

I think the real issue is with the weather stripping. It looks like the weather stripping is attached to the fabric and then the fabric is sewn around the frame. The fabric is then pulled so tightly that it warps where the weather stripping should be. This inevitably puts the weather stripping in a place that they are in the way of shutting the door. Not that good seal kind of way either. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow. This cannot be adjusted either as the fabric is wrapped around the frame so tightly it cannot be moved.

I am thinking about removing the weather stripping all together and then solving the seal problem from scratch. I knew all of this going in so I am not upset and still happy with my purchase. It is almost like a puzzle to me and I wont quit until they are perfect for me haha.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the doors or want any more pictures just let me know.

Take Care
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for remembering me!! The picks look good and I like the way it looks too. Just wondering how it'll look on my silver jeep. Thanks for all the additional info too.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are there any other companies that make full soft doors minus best top? I heard a lot of bad things about the fit of the best top doors so I was looking for a different alternative.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
DBF
JK Newbie

How are the two piece soft doors with the top up at highway speed? I had them on my TJ and they flapped and banged against the body at speeds over 60mph. They were also very loud. The nice part is they fit in the back easily when not needed.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobsmith
Attachment 450334Attachment 450335

Got the doors today. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures but there she is with soft doors on the fronts only. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Although, everything you have read about the soft doors is true. Namely, the fitting is terrible. You really gotta give these things a pull to get them to shut and a lot more effort than I thought to open.

I think the real issue is with the weather stripping. It looks like the weather stripping is attached to the fabric and then the fabric is sewn around the frame. The fabric is then pulled so tightly that it warps where the weather stripping should be. This inevitably puts the weather stripping in a place that they are in the way of shutting the door. Not that good seal kind of way either. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow. This cannot be adjusted either as the fabric is wrapped around the frame so tightly it cannot be moved.

I am thinking about removing the weather stripping all together and then solving the seal problem from scratch. I knew all of this going in so I am not upset and still happy with my purchase. It is almost like a puzzle to me and I wont quit until they are perfect for me haha.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the doors or want any more pictures just let me know.

Take Care
If the doors don't sure easily, you might have to adjust the door latch pins, it is pretty easy to do. I also had a black jeep, so I used black electrical tape to outline the stock location of the pins... If was easy to adjust everything back for when I put the hard doors back on. If I didn't explain myself well, I will try to post pics when I get home from work later in the day.

I have some leftover weather stripping firm my old element doors... I'm not sure if the re is enough for two doors, but if you are interested I can get you some more info.

Quick Reply: Soft Door Question