Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Soft Door Question

Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think any other company makes full softdoors. That is why I went with these doors even though I had also heard the bad things about them.

Quick run down on how I like them so far (I haven't had the hard doors on since I put these on whenever I first posted).

Noise: The fabric flaps against the metal frame and it does make a noticeable sound. I know I can get some foam and put it between the frame and the fabric which will eliminate the issue. Honestly the flap noise is not bad enough to make me want to do that yet though. As for outside noise they basically allow the same amount of sound into the jeep as having no doors at all. This is not a problem for me and again hasn't bothered me in the least.

Mirrors: I have made a very ghetto mirror bracket that holds mirrors bought at Advanced Auto far enough out that I can see the entire mirror with the doors on. Currently only have this done for the driver side. I have a snorkel and will need to think of something else for that side (already have the idea just need to stop being so busy so I can make it). Once I am done with both and paint them I'll add pictures to this thread. If anyone is interested in seeing the driver side now I can post up some pictures.

Door Flap at Speed: The doors do flap at speeds over 60mph. They do not flap so badly that I feel the uppers will fly off but they flap enough. Not enough to make me regret the doors though - knew this going into it. As I said in a previous post, I believe that the weather stripping that is attached to the doors creates an incorrect fit when closing the doors. The top part of the door does not match up with the bottom part of the soft top. This makes the top part of the door lay on top of the soft top. ( [--- ) The symbols to the left are an attempt to illustrate what I mean. Imagine the bracket being the door and the dashes be the soft top. Rather than the soft door sitting flush under the soft top (as you would expect the hard door to do) the weather stripping forces the top of the soft door out. I believe this is what caused the doors to flap. In my opinion the weather stripping should be removed and then the doors would sit right in the frame and not flap. Is this enough to make me regret the doors? Absolutely not, there are enough cheap solutions to fix this that it's not that big of a deal to me. Eventually I will test the weather stripping and update this thread accordingly.

Ease of use: Damn are they nice to throw in the back. I bought these because I like running with the doors off. Now even in cloudy weather I can go doorless without any worry. The ease of mind is what makes these doors worth it for me. Plus I like the way they look too. Makes my jeep stand out as I have not seen ANY jks with softdoors... ever.

so far it is looking like I will keep the softdoors on all year. They don't let in much cold air and in cold winter mornings the jeep is going to be cold anyway!

Last edited by bobsmith; 05-12-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobsmith
I don't think any other company makes full softdoors. That is why I went with these doors even though I had also heard the bad things about them.

Quick run down on how I like them so far (I haven't had the hard doors on since I put these on whenever I first posted).

Noise: The fabric flaps against the metal frame and it does make a noticeable sound. I know I can get some foam and put it between the frame and the fabric which will eliminate the issue. Honestly the flab noise is not bad enough to make me want to do that yet though. As for outside noise they basically allow the same amount of sound into the jeep as having no doors at all. This is not a problem for me and again hasn't bothered me in the least.

Mirrors: I have made a very ghetto mirror bracket that holds mirrors bought at Advanced Auto far enough out that I can see the entire mirror with the doors on. Currently only have this done for the driver side. I have a snorkel and will need to think of something else for that side (already have the idea just need to stop being so busy so I can make it). Once I am done with both and paint them I'll add pictures to this thread. If anyone is interested in seeing the driver side now I can post up some pictures.

Door Flap at Speed: The doors do flap at speeds over 60mph. They do not flab so badly that I feel the uppers will fly off but they flap enough. Not enough to make me regret the doors though - knew this going into it. As I said in a previous post, I believe that the weather stripping that is attached to the doors creates an incorrect fit when closing the doors. The top part of the door does not match up with the bottom part of the soft top. This makes the top part of the door lay on top of the soft top. ( [--- ) The symbols to the left are an attempt to illustrate what I mean. Imagine the bracket being the door and the dashes be the soft top. Rather than the soft door sitting flush under the soft top (as you would expect the hard door to do) the weather stripping forces the top of the soft door out. I believe this is what caused the doors to flap. In my opinion the weather stripping should be removed and then the doors would sit right in the frame and not flap. Is this enough to make me regret the doors? Absolutely not, there are enough cheap solutions to fix this that it's not that big of a deal to me. Eventually I will test the weather stripping and update this thread accordingly.

Ease of use: Damn are they nice to throw in the back. I bought these because I like running with the doors off. Now even in cloudy weather I can go doorless without any worry. The ease of mind is what makes these doors worth it for me. Plus I like the way they look too. Makes my jeep stand out as I have not seen ANY jks with softdoors... ever.

As far it is looking like I will keep the softdoors on all year. They don't let in much cold air and in cold winter mornings the jeep is going to be cold anyway!

You sold me. Thanks for the review. Now I need 1800 hundred bucks for the full conversion.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by calys003
You sold me. Thanks for the review. Now I need 1800 hundred bucks for the full conversion.
Glad to hear it! It is definitely a personal decision though. I read a lot about the doors before I bought them and understood the negatives going in.

Not trying to sway your decision just don't want to give you the wrong impression about the doors. They are certainly not perfect but personally I really like them.

Be sure to post pictures when you get them!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just keep saving for half doors. I picked up a set for $500 and I'm not overly impressed. I think mine fit better than the ones mentioned above but they're far from great. Most passengers won't close them all the way and the upper separates from the door jam at speed or high winds. They're great for emergencies but I couldn't tolerate them all the time.

Last edited by SBEII; 05-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calys003
$1800??? If you have Amazon prime, they can be shipped to your door in 2 days $420 for the fronts, $399 for the rears. I just looked last night because out still need to find a set of rear doors. I'm hoping for a deal on used ones, but I really want the doors by June.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have them on a 2 door billet silver. Can grab a picture later.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by higgins14

$1800??? If you have Amazon prime, they can be shipped to your door in 2 days $420 for the fronts, $399 for the rears. I just looked last night because out still need to find a set of rear doors. I'm hoping for a deal on used ones, but I really want the doors by June.
820 for the doors 600 for top. I guess my math was off.

Quick Reply: Soft Door Question