JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/stubby-front-rear-bumpers-covered-ends-6331/)

Angryitch 02-03-2008 06:35 AM

I didn't use a solder at all. I simply used an epoxy to glue the pieces together and has held up strong since the mod...

red7 02-04-2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by davebloomer (Post 322160)
i used an electric soldering iron for mine:)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...2/IMG00979.jpg

Do you know how many watts your soldering iron is and did you weld yours from the inside? Not having done this before (welding plastic) I'm not sure of the technique but my personal preference is for the photos of the ones where they were welded from the inside. Do you have any close up photos of your DaveBloomer?

I did pop out the dent with a little help from inside after heating it up good and it looks pretty good but I know it's just a matter of time until I hit something again. I'm ready to try this mod but want to be sure my soldering iron will work just as good as the torch style ones (still have no idea what those are). Mine is a large 60 watt electrical iron, do you guys think that with that it could turn out just as good as the photos of the guys on page 6? If an electrical iron won't work as good I'll have to wait until my next trip to the States as Home Depot doesn't sell the torch style here.

[N]UGE 02-04-2008 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by red7 (Post 326703)
Do you know how many watts your soldering iron is and did you weld yours from the inside? Not having done this before (welding plastic) I'm not sure of the technique but my personal preference is for the photos of the ones where they were welded from the inside. Do you have any close up photos of your DaveBloomer?

I did pop out the dent with a little help from inside after heating it up good and it looks pretty good but I know it's just a matter of time until I hit something again. I'm ready to try this mod but want to be sure my soldering iron will work just as good as the torch style ones (still have no idea what those are). Mine is a large 60 watt electrical iron, do you guys think that with that it could turn out just as good as the photos of the guys on page 6? If an electrical iron won't work as good I'll have to wait until my next trip to the States as Home Depot doesn't sell the torch style here.

just my opinion but i think you 60 watt would be fine for the job. i do agree with you with the finish on the inside. much cleaner look. keep us up to date on how it goes

davebloomer 02-04-2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by red7 (Post 326703)

well, i really glued it with plastic epoxy and then went back over it with a soldering iron to smoothe the cracks out where you cant see the line of the two pieces of plastic or any gapping... it looks good was very easy and has held together well..

i used the rustoleum black spray paint to repaint where the plastic epoxy dried white... have no fear you don't have to repaint the whole bumper as it is a perfect match in color :yup:
if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me i love feeling like i am helping people seeing as this forum has helped me SOOOO much

The Diesel 02-28-2008 09:31 AM

Im think i might start this little project tonight. Has anyone though about bolting some simple "L" brackets inside of the ends to give it more strength? Then the welding would mostly just be cosmetic. Has anyone painted it with herculiner? i might try this also.

Dustoff '68 02-28-2008 11:25 AM

Hmmm......gee....forgot what I wanted to say:sad2:

The Diesel 02-28-2008 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 (Post 363237)
Hmmm......gee....forgot what I wanted to say:sad2:

..............i dont get it...........

kidjeep 02-29-2008 04:53 PM

davebloomer, love the avatar! :rotflmao1:

avosfit 03-28-2008 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Diesel (Post 363040)
Im think i might start this little project tonight. Has anyone though about bolting some simple "L" brackets inside of the ends to give it more strength? Then the welding would mostly just be cosmetic. Has anyone painted it with herculiner? i might try this also.

Have you done any work on this mod yet? I've had my JK for less than a month and I can't keep up with everything I want to do in my limited time. I think you are on the right track herculiner; I think that will look great!

Keep us posted.

urbikesucks 03-28-2008 11:04 AM

love the look

can't wait to get back to the states and working on the jeep