Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

SwankPOD (DIY sPOD) "My last name is Swank"

Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very, very impressive. you have some serious skills sir.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
You are correct the run-down protection is something that I didn't work into my unit. I did consider it as it is a really nice feature they offer. In the end I wasn't really worried about it. There are some units out there that monitor the difference of alternator voltage vs battery voltage (14.6v vs 12v). They are meant to be used to activate aftermarket Daytime-Running-Lamps. Here is a link to one: LED Daytime Running Light (DRL) Automatic Control On/Off Switch Relay Harness | Xenon Gas H.I.D Conversion Kit | Auto Lamp Lighting I see no reason you couldn't use this to activate a master relay instead...

Of course this method isn't really a low-voltage detection but is rather a "running" detection. So the accessories would be off when-ever the Jeep was.
I'm wanting a low voltage since when I camp I want to be able to run my lights for setup but not have to keep the jeep running or worry abouts dead battery. Ill have to do some searching.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some options for you...

30A for $50 "NEW" 12 Volt 30 Amp Low Voltage Disconnect

200A for $125 Cole Hersee Sure Start Auto Low Voltage Disconnect 1 Each Cole Hersee - SureStart™ Automatic Low Voltage Disconnect Switch [CH-48510] - $125.41 : TheElectricalDepot.com!, Electrical Connectors and Much More!

These would simply go in-line to the main supply.

(I may end up adding this after-all. Then it truly would be sPOD like) I would like to find a 50A version for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write-up, very professional.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Here are some options for you...

30A for $50 "NEW" 12 Volt 30 Amp Low Voltage Disconnect

200A for $125 Cole Hersee Sure Start Auto Low Voltage Disconnect 1 Each Cole Hersee - SureStart™ Automatic Low Voltage Disconnect Switch [CH-48510] - $125.41 : TheElectricalDepot.com!, Electrical Connectors and Much More!

These would simply go in-line to the main supply.

(I may end up adding this after-all. Then it truly would be sPOD like) I would like to find a 50A version for me.
Yea these would work. I think I'd have to add all my lights before I knew which size to get though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

How are you tying into the factory high beams?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use these...

I did this at the Head-light bulb connector. (This is also what I used to tap into the wire for the locker bypass) They work great and are much more reliable than most other types. The only better connection would be to actually cut the insulation back and/or wires, then solder and shrink-tube them. I chose not to do this because it it pretty easy to undo this connection where as the soldering technique is more permanent.

There is no problem tying into this wire because the only load you are adding is that of the relay coil and capacitor. The diode is in place to keep the now steady 12v on the relay coil from imposing on the square-wave signal the OE circuit uses. (It forces the capacitors discharge to go through the coil). Notice this will delay the activation and deactivation by about 1/2 second as the cap will need time to charge and discharge. It makes for a pretty cool flash sequence
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

How are the Oracle switches holding up? They seem awesome, I've been eying them up for about a year now and just haven't pulled the trigger.

Great write-up, I can't wait to give it a go.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Very, very clean install! Would love more pictures of the box internals!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

For someone who doesn't have any skills at electrical systems, you are a genius. Have you ever thought of selling one of these. PM me please if you want to sell one

Quick Reply: SwankPOD (DIY sPOD) "My last name is Swank"