Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

SwankPOD (DIY sPOD) "My last name is Swank"

Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most impressive, sir. Very well done.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeke6785
How are the Oracle switches holding up? They seem awesome, I've been eying them up for about a year now and just haven't pulled the trigger.

Great write-up, I can't wait to give it a go.
They are okay. I like the looks a lot. The only complaint that I have is that they can be a little tough to engage. especially if you have larger fingers. I have smaller hands for a guy and it is still a little tough to use them. I suppose this is a trade-off for having such a physically small switch.

I haven't had them long enough to speak on their overall robustness. Buy they claim a whole-bunch of cycles so we will see

Last edited by jnabird333; 04-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mister ed
Very, very clean install! Would love more pictures of the box internals!
I can try to this week-end. It is pretty tough for me to get pictures of the internals of the switch box, but I think it is pretty self-explanatory. Is there something specific you need, or would like more clarification on?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ddubb
For someone who doesn't have any skills at electrical systems, you are a genius. Have you ever thought of selling one of these. PM me please if you want to sell one
At this time no... I don't plan to make them for sale. This type of project is really only cost effective for the guy doing it for himself. If I factored in my time, I have WAY more than an sPOD's work of cost in this. I would need to design more mass-producible enclosures to make it cost effective for any resale.

All of this said, I am more than happy to help you with any question and/or work. I know you are a little far away from me, but not so far that we couldn't work together over the phone to get a lot of pre-work and concept out of the way and get this done over a Saturday or Sunday
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
At this time no... I don't plan to make them for sale. This type of project is really only cost effective for the guy doing it for himself. If I factored in my time, I have WAY more than an sPOD's work of cost in this. I would need to design more mass-producible enclosures to make it cost effective for any resale.

All of this said, I am more than happy to help you with any question and/or work. I know you are a little far away from me, but not so far that we couldn't work together over the phone to get a lot of pre-work and concept out of the way and get this done over a Saturday or Sunday
Thanks, I completely understand. That's really cool of you to offer your help, but this much electrical is pretty intimidating, my comfort level stops at about hooking up a stereo and headlight swap. Very nice instal though
Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

I had a request over the week-end to modify the drawing for two light circuits, an ARB compressor, and then the front and rear locker solenoid switches.

The bottom-line is that I now have that version of drawing available too. You will need to modify the BOM as necessary.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Wow is this unbelievably clean! I'd MUCH rather pay money for this than the SPOD. VERY nice work sir!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Very clean install. Interested in the Turck FK10-0.5 receptacle and RS10-4 cable that you utilized. I googled it and couldn't find much. Looking for more info (wire gauge it utilizes, where I can purchase, and cost). Thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kage kicker
Very clean install. Interested in the Turck FK10-0.5 receptacle and RS10-4 cable that you utilized. I googled it and couldn't find much. Looking for more info (wire gauge it utilizes, where I can purchase, and cost). Thanks.
I work for an automation products distributor. Turck makes cables, sensors, and network components commonly found on industrial machines. They only work through distribution in the US. My company is the only distributor for most of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. I was able to get these at a discount but they still are far from cheap. If memory serves me correctly it was around $50 for the two parts. I have added links to the data sheets below for additional info.

FK10-0.5 Receptacle
http://www.turck-usa.com/illustratio...0(sheet_1).pdf
RS10-4 Cable
http://www.turck-usa.com/illustratio...0(sheet_1).pdf

As I mentioned in my write-up I wouldn't bother with these if I were to do another one. I would just get a good multi-conductor cable. I went this route because I liked the idea of being able to easily remove the box from under the hood and I was copying SPOD. In the end,, and after all my accessories were added, this effort was silly. If the box needs to be removed you will still have to unwire all the accessories, so the receptacle and cable doesn't save much time. So, If I were to do it again I would just use something like this -> McMaster-Carr and plan on unwiring of I needed to remove the box.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the best write up I've seen about this. I sent you a PM with my Email for the PDF.

I plan on doing a slight modification to add winch power and winch in/out switch. This is the main reason I don't want to buy an sPod. Like you, I want something they don't offer.

Quick Reply: SwankPOD (DIY sPOD) "My last name is Swank"