Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Taking Eugene back to stock **sniff**

Old 11-07-2018, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Strut Supports & Tuffy Flip-n-Lock Stereo

I really liked the strut kit for the hood. Once in awhile it's nice to set the hood up against the windshield for space, but I prefer the struts for simple stuff. I believe I got this kit from Dominion OffRoad and it has worked great. Highly recommended. It is a b&*tch to get the hood mount bracket bolts on, but well worth it. Everything just unbolted/unscrewed.

Passenger before - Dominion OffRoad Hood strut

Drive before - Dominion OffRoad Hood Strut

And into the SALE pile.

Dominion OffRoad Hood strut kit

Next, was the Tuffy Flip-N-Lock Stereo Security Kit. It's been a really nice place to keep sunglasses/pens/etc. It comes with some rubber/plastic slides over the metal edges to make it slide out smoother when you lock the system. On a really hot day, the adhesive from the slides does leak out and make a mess. I'll be cleaning this up with some Goo Gone before selling it.

Tuffy Flip-N-Lock Front view

Tuffy Flip-N-Lock drivers side view

You can see the only exposed hardware are 4 total button head torx type screws. It would take awhile for someone to get it all apart when locked.

Tuffy Flip-N-Lock Passenger side view

And this is what it looks like when locked. A metal plate 'flips' down over the stereo face. You can see the sticky adhesive I was talking about (not rust).

Tuffy Flip-N-Lock Security LOCKED

After removing the tray, you can see the inside of the 4 torx bolts that hold the top piece in place. After removing them and reorienting the GPS wires, there are 4 more bolts holding another bracket down to the top of the stereo frame. It's well engineered.

Tuffy Flip-N-Lock with tray removed

Lastly, I removed my CB holder and magnetic phone holder that were bolted under the stereo/ac/button trim. Everything goes back together and the OE smooth top just snaps in place. I'll admit, it looks nicer, but less functional.

OE JK Dashboard
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Battery/OS handles/Inverter

The dealer I'm working with let me know he was planning on giving me the NADA 'rough' trade in value. I'll be arguing more on this topic, but he's definitely convinced me to give him a 'rough' trade in. Therefore, my Optima Yellow Top battery is staying with me. Got a recycled one (24 style rather than 34 is just a bit taller) from a local junk yard for $20. Not planning to sell it. An extra battery is always handy.

Optima Yellow Top

24 Style EverStart battery

Then I unbolted the 400 W power inverter that I had under my passenger seat. I used it mainly to power small devices and run Christmas lights on the outside of Eugene. Also pulled all the wiring.

Power Bright 400W Inverter

Yeah, it might seem petty. But you never know when you might reuse it or sell it to someone.

Finally, I pulled the grab handles that bolt in the OE bolt above the rear 2 doors. Very handy 'O $hIx' handles for my kids. Also had a Maglite mounted with these rubber grippy fasteners. YOINK!! Pretty sure I can find a use for these on the new JL.

Handles/Mounts
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, very interesting thread
Old 11-14-2018, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bits and pieces....

A few nights ago, I found the OE Subwoofer that I had removed for more trunk space. Back it went.

Stock Subwoofer

Then took of the locking hook latches. I loved how sturdy and solid these are.

Passenger side Locking Hood latch

Driver Side Locking Hood Latch

Driver Side Locking Latch - unlocked

Two bolts on the hood, one on the bottom. Easy peasy. Back to OE.

Another part for the SALE pile. It's nice to be able to lock the hood when you have a supercharger.

In order to put back the Sahara Gray bumper trim, I had to remove the rear bumper. First, the 4 long bolts that hold on the towing hitch. Then 4 bolts on each bumper side and 4 more behind the bumper, where the tow hitch was. Pop it on with a bunch of trim screws and put it all back together. I forgot that I drilled a few holes in it for a backup camera. Probably need another stragetically placed sticker.

Sahara Gray Trim Piece

Next, I pulled out the WeatherTech Cargo Liner. This thing has saved my carpet from quite a few spills. Off to the SALE pile.

WeatherTech Cargo Liner

Lastly, I pulled a wired speaker I had in the roll-bar above/behind the drivers head. I had it hooked to the CB so I could hear the CB better when on the trail. Pull off a little trim around the seatbelt and fish the wire up and out. Done. Yeah....I'm that cheap. I'll find another use for it.

Uniden Wired Speaker for CB

Almost time for the Supercharger!!!! I'm really going to hate going back to the anemic 3.8 L stock power.

Last edited by JeepJeremy; 11-14-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Supercharger Time!!!

It’s almost time!!!
Well people, I just started getting the uninstallation done last night!! I’ve been taking videos/pics so the buyer has an easier time. I’ve got the programmer uninstalled and the supercharger/air piping taken off. Still have to do spark plugs, fuel injectors and more hoses, but all is going well. Here’s a couple pics from my videos. I still need to clean everything up, but you get the idea.

Ripp Mods Supercharger with belt installed

Ripp Mods Intercooler with air piping/filter/etc
Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Introduction: Video #1

Link to Introduction on Supercharger Removal on YouTube.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Grill off, Supercharger/Intercooler visualize, Drain fluids

Video #2

Old 11-19-2018, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Showing Diablosport InTune Programmer and Power On

Video #3

Last edited by JeepJeremy; 11-19-2018 at 06:17 AM. Reason: change web address
Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM