Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

TeraFlex Performance Rotor Kit - write-up and impressions

Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TeraFlex Performance Rotor Kit - write-up and impressions

TeraFlex has a new brake upgrade offering, the Performance Rotor Kit, that delivers an increase in braking performance without the greater investment in one of their proven Big Brake kits. The performance rotor kit includes larger front rotors (13.3" vs 11.89" stock) and new caliper anchor brackets that move the caliper further from the hub center. Doing so allows the big rotors to work with the OEM calipers. The rotors are the same part number included in the JK Big Brake Kit and have both 5" and 5.5" bolt patterns.

Everything I've ever gotten from TeraFlex has come with clear and accurate installation instructions, and this kit is no exception. They've also got an installation video on the way. Regardless, here's my installation write-up (at least it has color pictures).

Install difficulty:

Kit contents:
(2) Caliper anchor brackets
(2) 13.3" diameter front rotors

Tools needed:
Caliper slide grease
13mm box wrench
15mm box wrench
21mm box wrench or socket and ratchet
Coat hanger or other means to support the caliper
New OEM size brake pads (optional, but recommended)

I also used:
Sunscreen
(2) beers

Installation Instructions

Step 1:
Put some dang sunscreen on before you get skin cancer! (This step is courtesy of my wife)

Step 2:
Park your Jeep on a flat level surface and make sure it isn't going to roll away. Chock the rear tires, engage the park brake.

Step 3:
Jack the front end up and put it on a pair of jack stands. (You'll see in the pictures that I did this install while the Jeep was on the floor jack. Because I'm a moron who doesn't always think about safety. Don't be like me.)

Step 4:
Choose one side of your Jeep to start on and remove that wheel.

Step 5:
Remove the two caliper mount bolts using a 13mm box wrench while holding the 15mm nut as shown in this photo.

Step 6:
Remove the caliper and hang it from the coil spring or frame rail using a coat hanger or something. I keep Nite Ize S-Biners in my tool bag just for this purpose. They give a more positive hold, IMO. DO NOT let the caliper hang from the ABS wire or brake line.

Step 7:
Remove the caliper bracket bolts using a 21mm box wrench or socket.

Step 8:
Remove the caliper bracket.

Step 9:
Remove the stock brake rotor.

Step 10:
Remove the caliper slides from the factory caliper anchor bracket by pulling them out of their bores. The rubber boots will pop easily off their retainers.

The TeraFlex anchor bracket next to the stock bracket

Step 11:
Put a dab of caliper slide grease in the slide bores of the new caliper bracket.

Step 12:
Slide the caliper slides into the bores of the new bracket. Snap the rubber boot onto the retaining groove.

Step 13:
Here the TeraFlex instructions say to transfer the pads and support springs from the factory caliper bracket to the new bracket. I recommend purchasing new pads (which should come with support springs); your old pads will be married to your old rotors and may not make good contact with surface of your new rotors.

Step 14:
Install the TeraFlex Big Brake Rotor on the vehicle. Laugh maniacally.

The TeraFlex Big Brake rotor next to the stock rotor

Step 15:
Install the new caliper bracket with pads onto the vehicle using the factory bolts and the 21mm wrench.

Step 16:
Install the factory caliper using the factory bolts and the 13mm and 15mm wrenches.

I use a 5" c-clamp and one of the old brake pads to compress the caliper in order to fit it over the new brake pads.

Step 17:
Install the wheel.

Step 18:
Move to the other side of the vehicle and repeat.

When you're finished pump the brakes to make sure the pads are seated against the rotors. Follow your preferred brake pad bedding procedure to complete the installation.

My impressions

The way this kit works is pretty ingenious. Moving the location of the caliper outward just a bit accommodates a larger diameter rotor while still using the stock caliper. Of course, neither the caliper clamping force nor the pad-to-rotor contact area are increased (as they are with the complete big brake kit), but the larger rotors allow for more efficient heat dissipation and better mechanical advantage in stopping.

The quality of the kit parts is very good. I had no fitment issues with any of the parts.

After giving the pads and rotors some time to marry (new brakes are a bit slippery for a short while after installation) I definitely noticed improved braking. The pedal feel hasn't changed (I didn't expect it to since there were no changes to the braking hydraulics), but the braking response feels better. The best way to describe it would be to say it feels more positive, or more confident. You know the brakes are going to do what you ask them to. I didn't do a baseline stopping test, so I can't compare braking distance between stock and the Performance Rotor Kit, but I have no doubt braking distance is reduced with this kit. I'll run these rotors until I can afford to upgrade the calipers and master cylinder.

Last edited by DesertJeep; 06-19-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Awesome job on the write up! TeraFlex will post up the part #'s/prices and our install video with specs and information here soon!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Awesome job on the write up! TeraFlex will post up the part #'s/prices and our install video with specs and information here soon!
Please do. I have a 13 and will be doing this when I do my first brake job. Are there any rotor options? Slotted, pad material options, ect. To the OP thanks for the nice write up.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Will this work with 16" wheels?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by WAT3RDOG
Please do. I have a 13 and will be doing this when I do my first brake job. Are there any rotor options? Slotted, pad material options, ect. To the OP thanks for the nice write up.
There is a slotted or solid option. You can use any stock pads options that are available on the market with either rotor.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by fastrat350
Will this work with 16" wheels?
Sorry it will not.

TeraFlex JK Performance Rotor Kit http://www.teraflex.biz/performance-rotor-kit.html
Part# 4303480
MSRP $289.99
Includes:
• 13.3” mill-balanced performance vented rotors (qty 2)
• Brake caliper relocating anchor brackets (qty 2)

TeraFlex JK Performance Slotted Big Rotor Kit http://www.teraflex.biz/performance-...rotor-kit.html
Part# 4303490
MSRP $311.99
Includes:
• 13.3” mill-balanced performance vented & slotted rotors (L & R)
• Brake caliper relocating anchor brackets (qty 2)

Last edited by TeraFlex; 06-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

What's the smallest wheel size for the larger rotor?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the difference between slotted and solid options?? Why pick one over the other???
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Slotted gives you better heat dissipation on heavy breaking thus reducing worping of the rotors as well as improved braking.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQsqF7xKCfk A 17" wheel is required for this kit.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Performance Rotor Kit - write-up and impressions