Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Timing chain replacement

Old 02-09-2019, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Struggling here.... down to Timing Chain Cover, but have no idea what an Oil Pickup Line is.....

The write up says may have been removed in step 4, but step 4 is draining coolant?

On a time crunch on this one.. if anyone sees this, please help!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamasjk
Struggling here.... down to Timing Chain Cover, but have no idea what an Oil Pickup Line is.....

The write up says may have been removed in step 4, but step 4 is draining coolant?

The oil pickup line is shown in the photo below step 6 in the removal post. It's the pipe with the round canister on the end.
The following 2 users liked this post by ronjenx:
bahamasjk (02-10-2019), lavta3 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The oil pickup line is shown in the photo below step 6 in the removal post. It's the pipe with the round canister on the end.

You rock!

Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamasjk

Sorry about that, I updated the description to reference step 6 instead of step 4. Thanks for pointing that out!
The following users liked this post:
bahamasjk (02-10-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lavta3
Sorry about that, I updated the description to reference step 6 instead of step 4. Thanks for pointing that out!
you also rock!

buttoned up. Tomorrow the dust shield (ran out of light), coolant flush and oil.

then.... I start up Groot with a prayer!

Condfidence level about 59% right now!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The hard part is done!! Let us know how it goes and how it's driving after!
bahamasjk (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Good luck, you got this!
bahamasjk (02-10-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Unfortunately, I think I may have a timing chain issue in my newly acquired 2007 with about 95K miles. I have attached brief avi files of the engine running cold and warm.
This thread is great and has given me a level of comfort to attack the project myself. Does anyone have thoughts on what else I should consider replacing while I have the cover off? I already plan to do the water pump.
I also know I will need a new oil pan gasket, front cover gasket, new fluids and oil filter.
A reference was made in a reply about two or three Miller special tools. I have searched the web for a description of them and how they function. Not much there other than lots of listings on eBay. Trying to determine whether they are worth looking for. Any help appreciated.

Bob

Note: I attempted to attach avi files. I apparently don''t know how.

Last edited by buckeye_hunter; 04-20-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The only way to determine if your timing chain & gears are out of spec and need replacing is to pull the pan and front cover and measure play on the cam gear. If you've gone this far you might as well replace it. You can pull the pan and check for slack by just observing the amount of it with one side tensioned. At 65k miles or so Mine was loose on last two teeth of the lower gear. Unfortunately I had to drive it another 9,000 miles before I could get to it.

Mopar sells a front cover gasket set that has everything you need, front cover gasket, front seal, upper oil pan gasket and oil pump pickup o-ring. The special tools I used are in the description above. They ensure the crank gear is removed and reinstalled without damage to the crank. If you're mindful of potential damage you can improvise. I felt it cheap insurance to buy the tools. I used a 3 jaw puller to extract the crank gear. I had to grind the jaw teeth a bit for them to fit between the gear and crank. It slowly came off no issue.

End result, it runs better than ever. The chain design is a cheap POS, frankly, and I'm surprised more haven't been done. Be careful but it's worth the effort.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Timing chain replacement guide

Compliments to lavta3 on his excellent write up.

Nice job.

Quick Reply: Timing chain replacement