Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsy
You sure about that? Does it all the time on mine which is a manual tran. No trans cooler.
The AC condinser is in front of the radiator. It may be steaming off of that?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by paratus13
The AC condinser is in front of the radiator. It may be steaming off of that?
Is the ac condenser cooling anything is you are not running the ac or defroster?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

I just ordered the super cooler and will be installing asap. Do i need the gauge for any reason other than making sure its cooling?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
I just ordered the super cooler and will be installing asap. Do i need the gauge for any reason other than making sure its cooling?
Nope. I really wouldn't worry about installing the gauge unless you just really want to!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dayton
Can you provide some pix of where you connected the gauge line and where you put the gauge?

Thanks,
Dayton
I followed this write up here for the installation of the temp sensor:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/trans-cooler-24678/

However, I did not mount my gauge where he did. Here is a picture of my gauge:
Attachment 8436

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Excellent write-up

Hey paratus13, very helpful (and simple) write-up for the trannie cooler. Thanks for the contribution. Keep us posted on your results trailering.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
Hey paratus13, very helpful (and simple) write-up for the trannie cooler. Thanks for the contribution. Keep us posted on your results trailering.
Towed close to 2000 pounds yesterday - about a half hour trip each way on back roads, up and down hills, stopping and going...never got above 170*. This was in my 2D Sahara with 3.73's. Working well
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you noticed if your engine temps have gone up since you installed the unit in front of your radiator? That is my biggest concern. I have had my cooler for a little over a month and have been trying to decide whether to install it in front of the radiator or not. It gets real hot here in the summer and I'm not wild about blocking air to the radiator. The unit I bought does have an electric fan on it, so that should help, just don't want to force more hot air through the radiator fins especially on trail rides when you driving slow and things tend to heat up more.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default steam

Yeah, I was taking a hopeful guess that the steam was from the trans cooler... it bothers me that the radidiator is running over 220, normal driving in 40 deg weather... Hate to see what it steams like when it's 105 out this July.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kerryp
Have you noticed if your engine temps have gone up since you installed the unit in front of your radiator? That is my biggest concern. I have had my cooler for a little over a month and have been trying to decide whether to install it in front of the radiator or not. It gets real hot here in the summer and I'm not wild about blocking air to the radiator. The unit I bought does have an electric fan on it, so that should help, just don't want to force more hot air through the radiator fins especially on trail rides when you driving slow and things tend to heat up more.
Not one bit warmer. This is one reason I mounted it with brackets rather than flat up against the condinser. It has already been 86 degrees here and no issues - just a really happy transmission

I can get my entire hand between the transmission cooler and the condinser, the way I have done the install. It allows for plenty of airflow. If you ever notice any increase in temp in your engine cooling, you could always get a thermostat that kicks open at a lower temp.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler