JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Change? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/transmission-fluid-change-42719/)

Freeman 06-01-2008 01:00 PM

Transmission Fluid Change?

Does anyone know of any write-ups on changing the transmission fluid? The dealer wants $250.00 to do the 15,000 mile differential and transmission fluid change. I notice wayoflife has a write-up on the differential but I don’t see anything for the transmission. I have pretty limited skills is this something I should have a shop do?

ronjenx 06-01-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 529767)
Does anyone know of any write-ups on changing the transmission fluid? The dealer wants $250.00 to do the 15,000 mile differential and transmission fluid change. I notice wayoflife has a write-up on the differential but I don’t see anything for the transmission. I have pretty limited skills is this something I should have a shop do?

Usually "transmission fluid change" refers to automatic transmission. Is that what you have?

Freeman 06-01-2008 02:10 PM

Sorry. Yes, an automatic transmission.

ronjenx 06-01-2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 529829)
Sorry. Yes, an automatic transmission.

In that case, I have lots to say about it.
It is very messy. The fluid level is above the pan/trans mounting surface. Therefore, removing the pan lets the fluid gush all over the place. I sucked out all I could through the dipstick tube, but 2 quarts remained in the pan because of an indention in the pan. It allows the dip stick (and in my case, the suction tube) to go only so far into the pan. Then, there is the matter of the exhaust crossover, which lines up perfectly with three of the pan bolts. The bolts will come out with a universal socket, but would not start on reassembly. I ended up removing the exhaust from the joint under the driver's door to the left and right headers. If it were not for the exhaust being in the way, pan installation would have been a piece of cake. I let the silicone seal on the pan set up over night to make sure it would not leak.
Getting the correct amount of fluid back in is not exactly easy. I put in half of what drained out. 6.5 quarts draind out. I started with 3, then ran the engine to fill the troque converter. Then topped it off with 2 more quarts. Drove it until the tranny was hot and finished topping it off. It took almost exactly the same amount that drained out.
This is not the write-up you requested, just a list of things that make it a lot more difficult than an engine oil change. If you don't mind letting someone else do it, take it to the dealer or a transmission shop. I did it myself because I have never let anyone else work on my vehicles, nor will I as long as I am able.
Warranty work is the only exception. Even then, I will look it over very closely when I get it back.
I hope this helps you make a decision.

GreytSilly 06-01-2008 02:48 PM

We used to have a TJ with an auto trans. When I changed the fluid and filter I used a plastic mortar mixing tub to catch the oil. They are only a few bucks at any home improvement store. I used it again when I did my standard trans fluid in the JK because the drain dumps the oil right on the exhaust crossover. Pretty handy thing to have around the garage.:)

VBS4 06-01-2008 06:24 PM

I know its a little off topic but isn't 15,000 miles quite a bit early for the transmission.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have my maintenance book handy.

ronjenx 06-01-2008 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by VBS4 (Post 530182)
I know its a little off topic but isn't 15,000 miles quite a bit early for the transmission.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have my maintenance book handy.

It is a good idea to do the first one early, imo; especially the differentials.

Freeman 06-01-2008 09:10 PM

Transmission Change

Thanks you guys for the input on the subject. It sounds a little more involved than I feel confident tackling on my own. I think I’ll call around and let a professional handle it.

RCJeeper 06-03-2008 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 529854)
Then, there is the matter of the exhaust crossover, which lines up perfectly with three of the pan bolts. The bolts will come out with a universal socket, but would not start on reassembly. I ended up removing the exhaust from the joint under the driver's door to the left and right headers. If it were not for the exhaust being in the way, pan installation would have been a piece of cake. I let the silicone seal on the pan set up over night to make sure it would not leak..

ronjenx, it is possible to remove and reinstall the trans pan w/o removing the exhaust though it is not easy, epecially the first time. In order to get at them, I used a 1/4 universal (broke a craftsman though) on the outer one. I do not recommend using them since these bolts come from the factory real tight and 1/4 at an angle is pushing it. After I broke the universal I switched to box end wrenches. This worked with a cheater. I used another box end over the open end of the first wrench to gain a little leverage. They came off and the pan can be manuevered off fairly easily, but there is no way around the mess that you're gonna make. Its a matter of containment. I had to do this procedure TWICE, as I installed a transmission sensor probe into the side of the pan and it leaked the first time. Its good now. You can see pics in myjk if you want.

seer1 06-03-2008 08:51 AM

Here's my writeup:
Crawl under Jeep and remove Rock Hard tranny skid (6 bolts.) Get in and drive to trusted mechanic. Go about your business for 4 hours or so. Go back, get out checkbook, cowboy up, write check, drive home, check for leaks and fluid levels, re-install skid.

I'm sorry, but of all the things I do and like to do to the JK, AT transmission service sucks a$$. That's one thing I gladly pay someone else to do.