JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Uconnect FYI (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/uconnect-fyi-235939/)

AtlJeepsTer 10-20-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Imoutdoorsy (Post 3261084)
I have added a 430n Rhb and purchase these buttons but I cannot figure out to remove back of steering wheel add new switch. Any help or picks would be much appreciated

Attachment 380376Attachment 380377

Imoutdoorsy 10-29-2012 06:57 PM

Subscribed, steering wheel buttons have been updated, waiting on U-connect module.

Ssm2011 11-04-2012 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by eight6
I've just done the same thing on my '11 Sport. Replaced the base RES unit with a double din w/nav & bluetooth. Added the ASWC to regain the steering wheel functionality. Everything worked, so I took a shot on adding the handsfree version of the button. The ASWC instructions included a short blurb about the possibility of regaining the functionality of the hands free buttons, but it didn't work for me.

I'm guessing that the reason for it not working was that I didn't have a uconnect module installed. Anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest way to get this up and running. I don't even need the bluetooth to work, just the uconnect (and dealer flash) to get the buttons working.

Did you ever get this to work? Im running a similar set up and steering wheel bluetooth controls would be bad ass

eight6 11-06-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ssm2011 (Post 3282605)
Did you ever get this to work? Im running a similar set up and steering wheel bluetooth controls would be bad ass

Not yet. I've tried re-initializing the ASWC a few times hoping it would "see" the vr/hands free buttons, but no luck. I'll probably cave and buy a u-connect module, but I want to pick the brains of the dealership techs before I do so.

preppjoel 11-15-2012 05:16 PM

Hope this helps someone?
YUP!

Just ordered the part and plan on doing the exact same thing to my Sahara.
Thank you for posting this as they had no idea and just laughed at me when I asked the service dept about it.
Looking forward to showing them how easy it was!

If i see anything different in my experience I will post it as well.:cool:

Originally Posted by dsnapper7 (Post 3064039)
Just wanted to give anyone who is interested a heads up. Purchased my 2012 Sahara on memorial day. Had all the options I wanted except the uconnect package. Dealer agreed to install the uconnect package at cost. All was well, or so I thought. I later learned that I would only be getting the uconnect module which would allow Bluetooth connectivity. I really would have liked to have had the USB port inside the console, but after hearing of hit or miss pairing with the iPhone 4s I wasn't too disappointed. Also was hoping for the steering wheel controls, but didn't get those as well. After hours of research on the net and many forums, I came across someone who had successfully swapped the steering wheel controls. Long story short, I went from the controls with only the step/reset button, to the controls with the handsfree buttons. Now obviously I don't don't have the evic display. No big deal. I can still toggle through the display with the menu button and the compass button changes Fahrenheit to Celsius. Best of all though, the handsfree/voice ready buttons function properly as well.

Plenty of write-ups for removing steering wheel on web. Only took about 20 minutes to swap out controls.
If anyone is interested, the part # for the handsfree controls is 56046405AB

Here is what I had before:

Attachment 328564

After:

Attachment 328565

Hope this helps someone

xsdbs 11-16-2012 05:01 AM

@ preppjoel: I see you checked out the link I gave you. Real good information. If you don't mind posting your results on the other forum also I think it'll be helpful to others there.

Originally Posted by preppjoel (Post 3297808)
Hope this helps someone?
YUP!

Just ordered the part and plan on doing the exact same thing to my Sahara.
Thank you for posting this as they had no idea and just laughed at me when I asked the service dept about it.
Looking forward to showing them how easy it was!

If i see anything different in my experience I will post it as well.:cool:

Imoutdoorsy 12-03-2012 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3261244)
Did you add the UConnect kit and have it activated as well? If you don't have hands free now, you still won't with the 430N, unless you add the kit.

I added the Uconnect Module and took it to the dealer, Tech there noticed I had lockpick and told me I would not need to have Starscan. Works very well, I put the mic on the dash to the right side of the drivers side Tweeter/Tombstone and works very well even with windows down. I did this so I did not have to run up through pillar. Also if anyone else does this dont spend the money on the OEM IPOD Cable as you can just buy a usb mini to USB adaptor and save some scratch.

Attachment 394958:rock:

blues143 01-31-2014 07:15 AM

Adding u connect module

Originally Posted by Imoutdoorsy (Post 3321605)
I added the Uconnect Module and took it to the dealer, Tech there noticed I had lockpick and told me I would not need to have Starscan. Works very well, I put the mic on the dash to the right side of the drivers side Tweeter/Tombstone and works very well even with windows down. I did this so I did not have to run up through pillar. Also if anyone else does this dont spend the money on the OEM IPOD Cable as you can just buy a usb mini to USB adaptor and save some scratch.

Attachment 394958:rock:

Can you just add the just the module to a 2013? Or do you have to buy the kit to get the harness?