Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Under $100 OBD-II Scanner on Android Tablet with WI-FI Adapter (No Root Required)

Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Under $100 OBD-II Scanner on Android Tablet with WI-FI Adapter (No Root Required)

(Skip Ahead to Next Post to jump directly to the How to Guide)

My Goal: Purchase an OBD-II Scanner for under $100 which would work with my JK as well as on my wife's 2003 Jeep Liberty which gave me the ability to read engine light codes, suggested likely diagnosis triggering the code, and the ability to clear the codes.

Background: I was in the market to get an OBD-II scanner for my JK. At 1st, I was going to purchase an all-in-one hand held scanner, where you just needed to plug the device into your vehicle's OBD connector port. After doing a little research on which one to purchase, I realized there was a wide variety in features/functions, port type communication protocol support, as well as a wide range in their prices ($65-$600). As well as using this device for my JK, I also wanted to be able to use it with my wife's older 2003 Jeep Liberty which has a J1850 Bus, instead of CAN-Hi like the JK. I was really feeling if I pursued this hand held route, I would end up getting a scanner which either didn't have the features I needed, or would work on one vehicle and not the other.

After a little more research I started to learn about the OBD-II wireless adapters which communicate wireless either through a Wi-fi or Bluetooth connection, where the adapter plugs into the OBD-II connector and most of them seemed to have connections for both the CAN and J1850 vehicle bus interfaces that I needed, where it just required you to use a Smartphone or Tablet to communicate with these wireless adapter devices. Seeing as though I already owned an iPhone 5 as well as an older iPhone 3GS, this seemed like a good solution that may work for me and seemed like I could save some money and get everything that I might need for both vehicles.

Of course as well as needing to have a Smartphone or Tablet, this solution also required an App on the device which led me to start researching which was the best App to get. The unanimous agreement on this forum and others seemed to be to get the "Torque Pro" app. It had the most features, was the most customizable, and had 3rd party plugin support for further feature enrichment capabilities. So Torque Pro was what I decided to go with for my OBD-II app of choice.

The Technical Obstacles learning experience:
Of course with all these new high tech solutions, they always seem like the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread on the surface, but then once you get them, you start to learn about the technical obstacles along the way, which they just don't tend to put in the marketing material when they're telling you how great it works. Here is my list of issues I ran into and in the order I discovered them which ended up leading me down a path of frustrations and confusion. This is the reason, I've decided to write this write-up on the forum. I figured I would share what I've learned, so others wouldn't have to go through the same obstacles and spend all the time researching that I did. There currently isn't another write up that I found on the internet that has all this information summarized in one spot like I'm going to attempt to do.

OBSTACLE 1: Torque Pro App is ONLY available on ANDROID OS devices.
The 1st thing I did after making my decision to use the Torque Pro app, was go to the Apple iTunes Store to purchase the App for my iPhone. It was not available in the iTunes store, so I did a little more research and I come to find out that Torque Pro is only available for Android OS devices. The issue here? I didn't own any Android devices, I wasn't particularly interested in buying an Android device and my original plan was to leverage saving some costs on this OBD-II scanner by using my iPhone which I already owned.

SOLUTION 1: Purchase $40 (now $50) Android Jellybean 4.2.2 7" Tablet at Microcenter
Azpen Innovation A700 Tablet - Grey 3045 - Micro Center

It was the weak after Thanksgiving where me and the wife were in the market to buy some Windows Tablets for myself, her and the 14 y/o son as Christmas gifts. We wanted real Windows tablets (ie not that Windows RT crap), since we have Windows based PC's and we use Outlook, Word, Excel and Power point as well as other Windows programs and wanted to make sure we didn't have to go through any major learning curves, technical obstacles and be able to use our Tablets the same as our PCs and be able to share documents/data between them. We decided on the ASUS T100 Transformer with Windows 8.1 and headed off to Micro Center to check them out. Microcenter had them advertised for a good price of $350 (Reg. $400) , we checked out the one on display and told the sales guy assisting us...."We'll take 3 of them". Sales guy comes back, "Sorry we're out of them, can I interest you in a comparable M$ Surface Pro for $1200 instead?"

A bit frustrated we started to head out the store. On our way to the door some guy stops us, and says "Hey, would you like to check out one of our $40 Tablets?". I ask him, is it a Windows 8.1 Tablet? "No, it's an Android Tablet." So I laugh, and continue to walk towards the front door. As I reach the front door it dawns on me, "Hey???!!! Maybe I can use that $40 Android Tablet just to run the Torque Pro App?" For, $40 it looks alright and seems worth $40 just to have the ability to run Torque Pro. For $40....I decide I'll give it a try.

OBSTACLE 2: Wi-fi OBD-II adapters ONLY for APPLE devices, BlueTooth adapters ONLY for ANDROID devices. My Android Tablet only has WI-FI
So I get my $40 Android tablet home. The next thing I want to do is purchase an OBD-II adapter for it. With a wide assortment of adapters to chose from, I decide to go to the Torque Pro website and see if they have a list of recommended adapters that are known to work with their App.

Torque Website: Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle

I'm directed to this list of supported devices:
Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

I notice they're ALL BlueTooth adapters. When I check out my $40 tablet, I learn it does not have BlueTooth....only has Wi-Fi. I search the Torque forums and learn others are looking for a list of supported Wi-Fi adapters and here's what I learn from doing some reading in the Torque forums.

Wi-Fi OBD-II Adapters: Will only work with Apple iOS devices. The reason being is that Apple uses something called "Adhoc" Wi-fi operation mode, and all these OBD-II Wi-Fi adapters are configured to work in Adhoc Wifi mode. Android OS devices do NOT support "Adhoc" Wi-Fi operation mode natively. To be able to configure an Android OS device to function in the Adhoc Wi-fi mode, you must "Root" the Android Device. Rooting an Android device is a "hack" and will void any warranty that you have on that device and the rooting method is specific for each Android Device.

What is Rooting?: Rooting is not as bad of a "hack" as it sounds. The best simplified explanation of rooting I read describes it as it opens the Android OS so you have "Super User" privileges, which in turn allows you to adjust settings that normally aren't available for you to adjust. A good analogy would be if you're familiar with the Windows OS, is that by default in an Android OS device you're allowed "Standard User" setting adjustments, and after you "root" the device you now have "Administrator" rights, where it allows you to make adjustments to settings that a Standard User is not allowed access. In reference to this write-up, rooting the Android device would allow you to configure the Android device's Wi-Fi settings to be in "Adhoc" operation mode.

Rooting is not overly complicated but it also is not the simplest of things to do either. To read more about rooting, here is a pretty good guide I found from someone who outlined all the steps that needs to be done to root an Android device and then configure it to work in Adhoc mode for an OBD-II Wifi adapter.

Rooting and Adhoc guide:
[GUIDE/TUT] How to get ICS devices run OBD2 interfaces via WIFI WITHOUT DROPS - xda-developers

BlueTooth OBD-II Adapters: Will only work with ANDROID OS devices. I'm not sure of the exact details, but what I summarized is that Apple Devices will not allow access to certain BlueTooth communications that the OBD-II device needs to properly communicate with the Apple iOS device.

SOLUTION 2: The Search for a Wifi OBD-II adapter that supports non Adhoc operation mode (Vgate WiFi Wireless OBD II OBD2 ELM327 Adapter)

After quite a bit of searching around I ran across the VGate Wifi adapter, where a couple of people had shown Torque Pro working with the VGate Wifi Adapter. The only problem is that none of them described if they had to Root their Android device or the steps they went through to set this device up, and it was not listed on the Torque website by their developers as a reported working device.

So this required me to take a closer look at the VGate wifi adapter and read some specs/features about the device. However, all the developer documentation seemed to be written in a different language, where it seemed like someone just put this information through Google translate and of course the translation was so incoherent that it opened more questions than answers.

Vgate Tech Description (Looks like Google Translations Garbage):

Originally Posted by Vgate (Amazon)
1.the chip is ARM chip which speed is more faster and the communication speed is doubled than before one(CLK DEVICE)
2.the shape looks elegant and refined, the design is near the Apple style,compared the (CLK DEVICE),this new device is more exquisite,it doesn’t using the cable but (CLK DEVICE)having.
3.It has the function of power be off and energy keeps saving automaticly.When the main chip were detected not in communication for an hour then the device will be off automaticly and get into energy saving state,it only comsumes 3 microamp electric current which saved much for the cars power supply system.
4.the real J1939 and the stable J1979 protocol can make customers do efficiently redeveloped
5.it supports all WIFI System (PC,IPHONE,IPAD,IPOD)
6.it distributes address freely not same as the traditional ADHOC do,so customer can make a clear and simple connecting
As you can see from the description above, nowhere in #5 do they call out that it works with an Android OS. However, in #6 it seems to say it does not require "ADHOC", so this leaves some hope for non rooted Android devices.

As I continue to do research I find this description from someone selling the VGate Wifi adapter on Ebay:
Originally Posted by Vgate Ebay seller
Vgate WIFI Wireless iCar iV350 ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Multi-scanner Adapter Reader for ANDROID PC iOS iPhone iPad.

Description:
This is an iCar iV350 ELM327 WiFi diagnostic scanner, compatible for OBD-II complaint vehicles and WiFi diagnostic software. After check, the ELM327 interface will quickly send data to your android phone, iPhone, iPad, or Windows computer from your vehicle in short time.

Features:
1. The chip is ARM chip which the communication speed is faster.
2. The shape looks elegant and refined, the design is near the Apple style, it is more exquisite, and it does not using the cable.
3. It has the function of automatically power-off and energy saving. When the main chip were detected not in communication for an hour then the device will be off automatically and get into energy saving mode, it only consumes 45 mA electric current which saved much for the cars power supply system.
4. It supports all WIFI System (PC, iOS, android)
5. It distributes address freely not same as the traditional ADHOC do, so customer can make a clear and simple connecting.
6. Support OBDII protocols: CAN, VPW, KWP, ISO9141, PWM
7. Works with most and later OBD-II compliant US (from 1996), European (from 2004, trucks and vans from 2007) and Asian vehicles.
So again, it reads like a bunch of Jenglish that was a direct cut and paste into a Google translator but at least Features #4 and #5 seem to point in the direction that it may work with an Android device without having to root the device.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-17-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default The How to Guide PART 1

Ok, get on with it already......What do I need and how do I set it up to make it work?

I'm glad you asked....sorry for the rambling in the intro post.

Needed Parts List and Prices:
1. Vgate WiFi Wireless OBD II OBD2 ELM327 Adapter (Required to avoid having to root Android Devices)
My Purchase Price: $34
Where can I Get it?:
Ebay Seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Vgate-WI...9fe9a1&vxp=mtr

Amazon Seller:
http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Wi...gate+Wifi+obd2

2. Android Tablet/SmartPhone with Wifi. (Azpen A700)
My Purchase Price: $39.99 (now $49.99)
Where can I Get it?:
Microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._Tablet_-_Grey

3. Torque Pro

My Purchase Price: $4.95
Where can I Get it?:
Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

Total Price: $79 (<$100 Target Goal)

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-16-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default The How to Guide PART 2

Step by Step Guide:

Step 1: (Configure the Torque Pro App for Wifi communication) [DEFAULT= BlueTooth]
1. Install the Torque Pro App on your Android Tablet.
2. Launch the Torque Pro App.

* Take a mental note of a couple items shown while you're on this screen.

- The car icon is not lit up, which indicates if Torque is communicating with your vehicle or not.
- The Accelerometer gauge is shown by default, which tells you nothing about your vehicle but is monitoring your Android device's motion sensor.
I mention these things, because the 1st time I used Torque, I was a tad confused if Torque was communicating with my JK or not. These 2 items are good signs that will tell you that the App is not communicating with your vehicle.

3. Press the Settings icon located in the bottom/left corner of the app (see above).

4. Press the "Settings" item under the Torque list Menu

5. Press the "OBD2 Adapter Settings" item

6. Press the "Connection Type" item

7. Select "WiFi". After you press on Wifi, Torque will take you back to the previous screen automatically.

8. Now scroll down to "WIFI Preferences" and click on "IP Address"

*Note: Torque says "(ROOT REQUIRED)". You can ignore this comment if using the Vgate Wifi Adapter or any other "NON Adhoc" required Wifi Adapter, otherwise you would need to ROOT your Android Device to work with most other Wifi Adapters.

9. If it's not set already, Enter in IP Address : 192.168.0.10 as shown, and click "OK"

10. Click on "Port"

11. If it's not set already, Enter in Port number : 35000 as shown, and click "OK"

*Note: The IP Address and PORT settings you just entered are specific to the Vgate Wifi adapter. If you use a different adapter you may need to check the documentation of the specified IP ADDRESS and the PORT on which that adapter communicates on.

Vgate Specs Documentation:
Specifications
OBDII decode chip: ARM 16bit MCU
SSID: V-LINK (not password)
IP: 192.168.0.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Port: 35000
Range: 50 ft (Line of sight)
Antenna: Internal
Power Consumption: 0.75 Watts (With Power Switch)
Wifi Standard: 802.11a/b/g

12. "QUIT" the Torque Pro App by pressing the Android Back Arrow.
Torque is now configured to communicate via WiFi with the Vgate Wifi Adapter.

*Note: This seems to be an important step to exit out of and quitting the Torque app (I may be wrong), because it seems that Torque does not look at these settings except when it is 1st started. Changing these settings while torque is running, I was unable to get Torque to connect to the WiFi adapter until I shut down Torque and re-launched the app.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-16-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default The How to Guide PART 3

Step by Step Guide: (Continued)

Step 2: (Establish Wifi Connection between the Android Tablet/Phone and the Vgate Wifi Adapter)

1. With the Ignition in the OFF position, Plug the Vgate Wifi adapter into the OBD2 connector of your JK, which is located just below the dash bezel and to the left of steering column.

2. Turn the Ignition to ACC=ON (ie non START POSITION).
*Note: You should see 2 lights on the Vgate adapter.
RED LIGHT=Power Indicator
BLUE LIGHT= WiFi Communication Indicator

3. Click on the Tablet's "Settings" Icon to bring you to the Android Settings Menu.
4. Turn the "Wifi" switch to the ON position if it isn't already turned on.
5. You should see a device show up called "V-LINK". That is the Vgate's Wifi Adapter broadcasting its specified SSID: "V-LINK".
6. Click on the "V-LINK" SSID name to connect to the adapter.

*Note: The Tablet should auto connect to the adapter and establish an IP Address via DHCP. Once it show's the status as "Connected" under the "V-LINK" name, click on "V-LINK" to observe the connection properties.

Take a mental note of the "IP address", it should be something other than 192.168.0.10 (192.168.0.11 shown)

7. Click "Cancel" to exit out of the V-LINK connection status properties.

*Note: The Tablet has now established the proper Wifi connection with the Vgate adapter. Exit out of the Tablet's settings menu by pressing the Android back arrow.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-16-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Run the Torque Pro App

Step by Step Guide: (Continued)

Step 3: (Run the Torque Pro App and verify everything is working)

1. With the ignition still in the ACC=ON position, launch the Torque Pro App. Everything should already be configured at this point and It normally connects up pretty quickly, but you may have to wait 1-2 minutes in some instances. If everything is working properly, you should see 2 items which show that Torque is now communicating with your JK.

*Note: Now communicating with vehicle indicators.
- The Car icon near the top of the app should be solidly lit.
- The Accelerometer Gauge has now changed to a Revs/RPM indicator Gauge.

2. Now go ahead and start the engine!!!

The RPM Gauge should now adjust along with the RPM tach on your dash, as you press on the gas pedal (actually, there seems to be a slight delay)

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! Subscribed to this. Ill need it when I finally get my Nexus. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Q&A (Trouble Shooting)

(This section is reserved for general Q&A and trouble shooting summary if needed)

Q&A
Q1: Do I lose or gain anything by using a WiFi OBD-II adapter instead of a BlueTooth Adapter with Torque?

A1: Yes and Yes.
(What you lose)
From doing a little reading on the Torque forums, what I learned is that if you use a BT adapter and communicate to the vehicle via the BlueTooth connection, then this frees up the Wifi connection on your Android device, so you can use the Wifi to establish an internet connection with your home router at the same time. One of the benefits, I read about is that this will allow you to read a CODE via the BlueTooth connection from the vehicle, and then this code can get sent via the Wifi internet connection to return you further information about that particular code from an online database. You lose the direct link from the vehicle to the internet connection capability by using a Wifi OBD-II adapter with an Android Device (unless you have a phone with a 3G/4G internet connection). However, even with this limitation, codes can be recorded and stored and this same information can be obtained later by disconnecting from the Wifi adapter and then connecting your tablet to your home Wifi router.

Most other OBD2 Apps that are available on Android are only able to communicate via a BlueTooth connection. Torque Pro was the only OBD2 App that I found which had a configuration which allowed the app to communicate BT, Wifi, or a USB connection.

(What you gain)
Versatility. As mentioned previously, a general rule of thumb is that Wifi adapters work with iOS devices, and BT adapters work with Android devices. By using the Vgate (Adhoc free) Wifi adapter, you can connect that adapter to an Apple device or an Android device. So if there's an Apple app you would like to use, you can and vise versa. You are not limited to a particular OS device that you can use with this Wifi adapter and since I already own an Apple iPhone, this seemed like an attractive option to have if I wanted it.

Q2: I installed the Torque Lite (Free) App, where are these Wifi configuration settings you outlined at?

A2: The Torque "Lite" (Free) version does not have the Wifi settings in it as a limitation for being a "Free" app and is only able to communicate via BlueTooth with an adapter. You must have Torque "Pro" to be able to change the app to Wifi operation mode.

Q3: What other OBD-II Wifi adapters are non Adhoc and are known to work with the Torque App?

A3: So far, the only one I found is the Vgate Wifi adapter, I'm sure others will come soon enough. What you need to look for is a Wifi adapter that supports "infrastructure mode" and not "Adhoc Mode". Recently the Torque Developers added the Vgate Wifi adapter to their wiki list of known to work adapters. (Unfortunately for me, they did so after I started my journey of research for one)

That list can be found here:
http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth...ers_Blackberry

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-16-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Your Nexus probably has BlueTooth, so you may not need to go through the Android/Wifi struggles that I ran into. If the Nexus has BlueTooth you may be better off purchasing a BlueTooth OBD-II adapter instead.

Originally Posted by kylelever
Nice write up! Subscribed to this. Ill need it when I finally get my Nexus. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Nexus 7, torque app and Bluetooth adapter. Love being able to customize the gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just use an ODB II bluetooth connector that I got on ebay for 10 bucks. I installed torque lite on my smartphone and it let me view and remove error codes. So for those looking to go the even cheaper route....

Quick Reply: Under $100 OBD-II Scanner on Android Tablet with WI-FI Adapter (No Root Required)