Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Volant Snorkel/CAI install write-up

Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcharge74
No problem! I can get those pics for you, but it'll have to wait a day or two for this rain to let up. I've always heard that a snorkel will give you a slight LOSS of performance, but I haven't noticed any. Whether the CAI part of this system makes up for the snorkel restriction, or if was just a myth to begin with, I don't know. I did notice a bit more umph with the Airaid, but it's not there with this one. I'd say it's pretty close to stock performance-wise. As for it blocking any of your vision out the windshield, the only part that you really see is the actual intake opening itself. The vertical portion of the intake tube is wrapped more around the side of the pillar and is, for the most part, out of view. Anyway, I'll get those pics up for you as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks man, no hurry and I feel you this rain out here.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pazitive44
What made you go w. the Volant as opposed to the AEV...?....Great write...looks like less work than the Aev, Just drill one 4" hole and find the other 4 mounting bolts !!!...
Contrary to popular opinion here, I really liked the look. Also, I no longer had my stock air box. I really liked the Airaid CAI, but needed the snorkel because of the wheeling that I do. With the Volant, I get to have both. Unfortunately, like I said a couple posts ago, the performance gain doesn't seem to be there like it was with the Airaid. The only thing I can attribute this to is the restriction from the snorkel. But it still gives the Jeep a better sound than stock without as much of the CAI "whistle".
Old 09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Very nice! Just wondering how this all affects using a roof rack? Does Gobi say wich snorkels work with their setup
I could be wrong, but by looking at some pictures of the Gobi rack, I don't think it would work with this snorkel. It doesn't look like they use the mounting points, but the Volant wraps really tight up against the A-pillar, which I believe would interfere with the support arm for the rack.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snorkle w. CAI

Originally Posted by dcharge74
Contrary to popular opinion here, I really liked the look. Also, I no longer had my stock air box. I really liked the Airaid CAI, but needed the snorkel because of the wheeling that I do. With the Volant, I get to have both. Unfortunately, like I said a couple posts ago, the performance gain doesn't seem to be there like it was with the Airaid. The only thing I can attribute this to is the restriction from the snorkel. But it still gives the Jeep a better sound than stock without as much of the CAI "whistle".
I really Loove the Look of your Rig w. that Snorkle...I currently have an Afe CAI sealed box...I dont think I can adapt any other Snorkles to this CAI.....I will probably take it Out and Sell it.....Great Write-Up......Thanks for Sharing....Im gonna be Leaning towards The Volant....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK heres my question I know you don't see a lot of these snorkels on here mostly AEV but I love the way this looks and its on my list.... but what seals the piece that comes out of the hood to the body out side of the hood seems to me that it just sits there?

Oh yeah looks badA&&
Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rterese12
OK heres my question I know you don't see a lot of these snorkels on here mostly AEV but I love the way this looks and its on my list.... but what seals the piece that comes out of the hood to the body out side of the hood seems to me that it just sits there?
This part:

Seals into this part:

And yes, it is a very good seal. I had to silicone that rubber "doughnut" onto the intake box to keep it from pulling off and staying up in the hood portion of the snorkel when I raised the hood.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

What did you do with your Airaid?

Great write up. Love the look.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tylerm78
What did you do with your Airaid?
Sold it to another forum member.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up. I'm actually planning on getting one of these soon for my Rubi. This will make my job so much easier. Thank you again so much and happy trailing.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mcflurry301
would you mind taking a picture from the driver seat looking straight out and also from the passanger seat looking straight out. How is the vision and any noticeable gains or just another snorkel? Oh one other picture from straight on so I can see how this sits and looks. I like the beefy look of this one and plus I dont have my stock airbox anymore so looks like I will be getting this one really soon! Thanks man
Here's the pictures that you were looking for. Sorry it took so long. My back started acting up again, so I was laid up for most of last week.

From the drivers seat:

From the passenger seat:

Straight on:

Quick Reply: Volant Snorkel/CAI install write-up