Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Moved AUX port to rear of Radio HU

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved AUX port to rear of Radio HU

I am writing this how to, as a demonstration on moving the AUX jack from the front of the radio to the back of the radio. This may not be something that you are interested in, but if you are, this may be of some help.

The reason I've done this, is because I have an iPod that I keep locked away, and use the Harmon Kardon iPod remote. For the past few months, I've had a cable plugged into the front, and then tucked away into the plastic molding. It works, but doesn't look great. I acquired a single disc HU with Sirius from another forum member to work on, because I didn't want to try it on mine and fail. Luckily, I didn't fail, as I'm writing this how-to now. Thanks, LidLess07X for your HU. [I had to remove the existing AUX jack on this radio, because there was something broken inside of it. This should not be the case for most situations, so I will not be including it in the directions. There will be a slight difference in your results than mine because of this though (and I will point it out at the right place).]

I won’t explain how to remove the radio from the vehicle, as that has been covered several times in other threads. Just search on how to remove it.

Start with the radio fully removed from the Jeep, on a good size work area.

1) On the top of the radio, gently remove the three tabs and lean the front plastic of the radio away from the body.

2) On the back of the control screen, find the solder points for the AUX input jack.

3) Bridge the two points below. The reason for this, is it disables the "Device Not Detected" message. This tricks the radio into thinking that there is something connected in the front port.

4) On each side of the radio, remove the Torx screws. You will be able to gently pry apart the top half and the bottom half of the radio. On the bottom, there is also a panel that will separate off, for a total of three pieces. Be careful when pulling them apart, as there is a cable that attaches to the two halves.

5) Drill a hole in the metal above the antenna connectors. The hole needs to be the correct size for the outside diameter of the new jack you are installing.

6) Solder the wires to the new jack to be installed, and then mount the jack in the hole you just drilled above the antenna connectors.

7) Feed the wires through one of the holes in the front of the radio. Be sure to choose the correct side, so that it lines up with the front panel. I added a zip tie to the wire to prevent me from pulling too hard on the cable.

8) After feeding the wire through the front of the radio, solder the wires to the faceplate.

9) As I mentioned earlier, I had to remove the front AUX port because there was a tip broken off inside of it. This would have caused a short. Unless this is the case for you, you should not have to remove the AUX port. Be thankful, its not fun or easy. Here is a picture of the front with the AUX port removed. You can tell its the front, because of the dial. I had to remove the plastic housing in order to get to the front.

10) Ready for reassembly. Piece the box back together, and screw the Torx screws back in each side.

11) Gently slide the excess slack back into the radio as you close the face back onto the radio.

12) All done, here is your AUX jack moved to the rear of the radio.

Last edited by eaglemikeo; 02-03-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is great. I was thinking of doing this with the MyGig. Any idea if this will work?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
This is great. I was thinking of doing this with the MyGig. Any idea if this will work?
It should.

All you are really doing is tapping into the aux port, so sort of like having two aux ports. The pictures shown are on the 1 disc cd player.

Below is the face of the 6 disc dvd... its much different. Instead of being perm. attached to the circuit board, the jack is connected by a ribbon cable. It would work the same, just have to find a different way of doing it.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
It should.
I'd be happy to try for anyone who has a spare MyGig...
I'll promise to do a writeup for all to learn from
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
I'd be happy to try for anyone who has a spare MyGig...
I'll promise to do a writeup for all to learn from
I think it's so stupid that "all radios" don't come with a front and rear aux jack
Old 03-18-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Mike, nice job. Sorry it took me song long to ship it to you, but atleast the price was right
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great info! I'll probably do this next time I pull apart the dash. (As an aside, Isn't it a shame that you always find out extra reasons and mods to do once you've already put it all back together... ugh)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

How did you go about discovering the right connection points? Do you have a diagram?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default phphtphpht

dude, your way smarter than the average, well, person. i'll bet i can fart louder than you though.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hoovis
Great info! I'll probably do this next time I pull apart the dash. (As an aside, Isn't it a shame that you always find out extra reasons and mods to do once you've already put it all back together... ugh)
I'm gonna connect my garage door opener to the two bluetooth buttons (since I don't really want it working in jeep - too much wind noise anyways). This will allow me to push the button and open the garage door. (not to mention hide the remote out of view)

Originally Posted by jeep329
How did you go about discovering the right connection points? Do you have a diagram?
I plugged in a spare cable and did a point to point with a multimeter. I think I can pull up a diagram... and see if I can post it.

Quick Reply: Moved AUX port to rear of Radio HU