Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

WarmSeat Waterproof Seat Heater Installation

Old 09-25-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fiinally got around to installing them on my 2012. PITA! The bottom cushion access was easy, but the top/back had this plastic lip overlap tension setup holding the fabric that took 30 minutes on each to open and close back up again.

Altogether the install took 4.5 hours (includes a 20 minute trip for an 8 gauge butt connector - used it to tap into spare power line I had ran in cab).

For the time being I can run it also with the engine off. Might add a relay to tie into ignition.

As a side note - I tested them (with the engine odd) and have to say that on high power there was not that much heat. One of two options - with the engine running it might provide more heat or the fact that I have a seat fabric and a seat cover isolates the heat too much (though I did slide my hand under the seat cover and though it was warmer it was nothing at the range of what my VW had....

If I had to so this again, I would consider installing the heating elements directly onto the seat as I am planning to always run a seat cover......
Old 09-25-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
Fiinally got around to installing them on my 2012. PITA! The bottom cushion access was easy, but the top/back had this plastic lip overlap tension setup holding the fabric that took 30 minutes on each to open and close back up again.

Altogether the install took 4.5 hours (includes a 20 minute trip for an 8 gauge butt connector - used it to tap into spare power line I had ran in cab).

For the time being I can run it also with the engine off. Might add a relay to tie into ignition.

As a side note - I tested them (with the engine odd) and have to say that on high power there was not that much heat. One of two options - with the engine running it might provide more heat or the fact that I have a seat fabric and a seat cover isolates the heat too much (though I did slide my hand under the seat cover and though it was warmer it was nothing at the range of what my VW had....

If I had to so this again, I would consider installing the heating elements directly onto the seat as I am planning to always run a seat cover......
I actually really like mine, and 4 years later they're still working great. I originally installed them with just the factory cloth seats, and those things got really hot fast. Usually I'd just have to use them on low. I installed Katskin leather about 2.5 years ago. At that time I not only pulled the seats out, but I separated the backs from teh base. Honestly, that was so much easier than trying to struggle installing those heaters while the seats were assembled, much less in the jeep. I will say it takes a little longer for them to warm up through leather, but they do still get pretty warm and toasty on high. I'll drive top off with, heater and butt warmers on with temps down in the low 40's, and the seat heaters are what makes that possible.....keeping the core warm.

I'd guess that the seat covers on top of the regular seat covering make feeling them a bit harder. I do think that if you're always going to have a cover on, it might have been better to install them on the factory seat covering and directly under your aftermarket seat cover......not to mention how much easier that install would be.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

do you run yours with engine on or did you ever try them with engine off?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by kejtar
do you run yours with engine on or did you ever try them with engine off?
Mine are tapped to the 12v plug in the dash, so they can be on with the key in the accessory position. I can't say I've ever tested them with engine off vs. on, but can't see them operating any differently. They're still pulling the same power from the battery regardless, no?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I tested the heated seats while driving around (even though it is 80F here today) and I do have to say that when the engine is on, they are significantly warmer - to the point of fully feeling the nice warmth to my back... It actually made my back feel better after couple days of waking up with back pain
Old 10-07-2017, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 2 sets of heaters for Christmas last year, installing them on my '13 today. Read through everything but didn't see a torque spec for the bolts mounting the seats to the Jeep. Anyone know what this should be, hope I'll need this info in a couple of hours.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
I got 2 sets of heaters for Christmas last year, installing them on my '13 today. Read through everything but didn't see a torque spec for the bolts mounting the seats to the Jeep. Anyone know what this should be, hope I'll need this info in a couple of hours.
I'm a stickler for proper torque, but for a seat bolt..... Tight is good enough. You don't need to gorilla it with a 6' cheater or anything. Best of luck with the install. The effort is worthwhile!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm a stickler for proper torque, but for a seat bolt..... Tight is good enough. You don't need to gorilla it with a 6' cheater or anything. Best of luck with the install. The effort is worthwhile!
OK Thanks. Install went great except for finding a place to tap into power. Used the cigarette lighter receptacle inside the center console, but they don't leave you a lot of wire to work with. Had to pull it and add wire, will reinstall and finish it off today.

Other notes from my install in a '13:
-I removed the seat back from the cushion, then didn't have to remove the lever which looked like a PIA. The seat back upholstery also had clips about half-way up that needed to be pulled, kind of blind to get to them.
-There is already a hole in the cushion for feeding wire through, but I didn't use on the passenger side as it was used for the air-bag weight sensor.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
OK Thanks. Install went great except for finding a place to tap into power. Used the cigarette lighter receptacle inside the center console, but they don't leave you a lot of wire to work with. Had to pull it and add wire, will reinstall and finish it off today.
Although it seemed like it might be easier, I didn't tap that 12v outlet as it is constant power on mine, and I didn't want to have to turn off the butt warmers every time I got out. I chose to tap to teh 12V in the dash instead which is hot with the key. It was bit more effort, but worth it in the long run for me.

This is the time of year butt warmers really start paying off. Was mid-40's here in the DFW area....a bit chilly with the top off. Those heaters sure help keep the core toasty and make chilly morning's bearable.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question is - what you tapped - what is the existing draw on what you tapped? What else is on it? Will it possibly blow a fuse when you have everything on?

Quick Reply: WarmSeat Waterproof Seat Heater Installation