Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

What's the best tire deflator solution?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best tire deflator solution?

I'm fairly new to wheeling and have only been on a couple runs (one with someone and one with my own Ruby). I'd like to gear up for my next run and need advice regarding the best way to air down.

I've seen single tire deflators and I've seen the set of 4 (auto)...Thoughts???
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spend $30-$40 and get the Currie deflator. Much faster than the Stauns/Smittys because it removes the valve core. Can do all four corners in less than 10 minutes. I'm usually done before everyone else and end up lending my deflator to them/doing it for them.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an ORW one and it TOO removes the core. I'd suggest any type that removes the core (u have to watch it or you will deflate more than u wanted.. . But if u prefer convenient over speed, then get the preset type , screw them on and forget about them for a few minutes while u do something else (strap ice chest down, take off uppers and put the top down) while the deflators do their "thing". Either way they both do what u want.. Some are just faster than others
Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Spend $30-$40 and get the Currie deflator. Much faster than the Stauns/Smittys because it removes the valve core. Can do all four corners in less than 10 minutes. I'm usually done before everyone else and end up lending my deflator to them/doing it for them.
I had my eye on the ARB with gauge. I think it removes the valve core also...can you confirm. Does the Currie have a gauge? I could look it up but i figured since you online, lol.

Last edited by wgoode77; 12-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
I have an ORW one and it TOO removes the core. I'd suggest any type that removes the core (u have to watch it or you will deflate more than u wanted.. . But if u prefer convenient over speed, then get the preset type , screw them on and forget about them for a few minutes while u do something else (strap ice chest down, take off uppers and put the top down) while the deflators do their "thing". Either way they both do what u want.. Some are just faster than others
I'd be looking at spending around $70 - $100 for something like this correct? Any brand you recommend for "preset type"?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
That seems crazy...I use the smittys and I walk around installing then as I put the last one on I take of the first and pound another lap and its done. All 4 aired down exactly where i want within 3 minutes on mine. Cost like 30 bucks.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

I use the ARB, and yes it removes the core. I think I paid around $40 for it, but check around.
I've thought about the automatic deflators, but I've seen a couple if them go too far. Guy comes back from registering and finds a flat tire. Not a huge problem, but irritating.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ARB deflator it does remove the valve but holds it in the cylinder so there is no chance of losing it. It only does one tire at a time. I also have the Staun deflators. They are great but you have to be careful once they are set to deflate to a certain weight if you accidently hit the thumb wheel it screws it up. But I love them able to do all 4 wheels.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

My ORW cost me $35. It has a gauge. My friend has staun auto deflators (4) and paid about the same And another friend paid $20 for his smittybilt ones at a discount sale and neither of those come with a gauge. U said ur budget was $100 for one!!

Wow! Don't spend that much.. Spend the $20-40 and spend the rest on some beer!

Iced chest isn't gonna fill itself ;-)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billbikes
I use the ARB, and yes it removes the core. I think I paid around $40 for it, but check around.
I've thought about the automatic deflators, but I've seen a couple if them go too far. Guy comes back from registering and finds a flat tire. Not a huge problem, but irritating.
most people dont have onboard air it seems either so they have to find someone. My smittys do go to low sometimes, but not a problem for me. My buddy has trail head deflators i believe and they set with a set screw and never go to low. I wish i would have gotten them.

Quick Reply: What's the best tire deflator solution?