Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)

Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up but i dont know what the big deal is on how to hook up a sub and amp. It is very easy. I will make a write up and post a link on here.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

I just though i would be nice and simplify things for everyone and post the link here. Sometimes other people like to see a quick link that references the same thing but easier...Damn it now im all cmfused!
Originally Posted by neoxxis
You will make a write up for a sub and amp install, and you will post that in a thread about a write up for a sub and amp install?

--

I installed a sub long ago and I put a switch for the amp.
I turn the amp on only when I want to...
10-4.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow, cant read any of that because i have the forum on bone white so the white writing is GONE and the yellow is horrible to look at.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Can you please put some photos of the LOC -> RCA connection?cheers
Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

i. Wire location A: (on connector from H/U to Infinity AMP OR behind H/U (recommended option)

(black plug, and refer to wiring diagram link above)

2. PRO’S
a. BEST choice for sound quality.
b. easy location to access (under steering column)

3. CON’S
a. Need to run long RCA wire from sub to steering column

4. If you want to connect behind head unit, more time involved

5. Location: under steering column on connector between amp and headunit, OR you can tap the line behind head unit
a. (refer to wire diagram above for wiring connections)

Wired my LOC using this location today and with volume at 1, subwoofer still plays at full volume once full volume is reached and turned back down. Volume control must be controlled by the amp so by bypassing the amp, your getting full signal once you get to full volume. Bass quality is definitley better, but is there some kind of way to control it using the head unit?

EDIT: make sure to go off the correct wires. you can get audio signal if you splice into gy/or, gy/db and dg/db,dg/or on the bigger of the 2 connectors in the back of the amp, but this is raw audio signal. The correct wires to splice into to get front speaker signal before they hit the amp are on the smaller black connector, dg/vt, dg/yl for right front, and gy/vt, gy/yl for left. Sound quality is much better here, volume control works, but it still doesn't sound as good as if you were to put in an aftermarker deck.

Last edited by dannytr84; 04-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tapped off of the sub right before the speaker in the back - to a LOC and amplifier then 2-10" subs.. using factory crossover points. it pounds. Do you know what the crossover point is ? for the factory subwoofer.

good for me is my amp does not have a crossover in it.. I might add a crossover to get to the Lows...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

About to do this mod myself. The easiest thing would be for me to add my LOC right where the sub wires are to start with. How bad is the sound compared to taping in before the amp to get the signal for my sub? I want to do this right the first time. Also my LOC has 4 wires coming into it. As I understand it the factory sub is a DVC sub and has 4 wires. If I went that route of connecting it there would I hook all 4 of the stock wires up to the LOC? I am really wondering where is the best place to tap in my LOC.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Am I the only one who can't get the link in the 1st post for the infinity wiring diagram to work?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Amp and subs

Link no worky for me... I will just go by the instructions in the first post. I have been thinking of buying the adapter that goes behind the head unit, but 50$ is not in the budget for music upgrades.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Since the earlier diagram was deleted, I figured I would include a new one. The sound system in the Jeep is different from what I have worked with in the past. I would have thought for clean sound you would want to connect the sub amp output to the non amplified input wiring but in my 2012 the volume on the radio controls the amp volume so the wiring pre amp provides sound but it is not controlled by the volume (constant thump non adjustable by volume knob). In order to get the sub to adjust volume with the rest of the factory speakers in my Infinity equipped Jeep I needed to tie in to the speaker feeds post factory amplification.

Originally Posted by dannytr84
i.
EDIT: make sure to go off the correct wires. you can get audio signal if you splice into gy/or, gy/db and dg/db,dg/or on the bigger of the 2 connectors in the back of the amp, but this is raw audio signal. The correct wires to splice into to get front speaker signal before they hit the amp are on the smaller black connector, dg/vt, dg/yl for right front, and gy/vt, gy/yl for left. Sound quality is much better here, volume control works, but it still doesn't sound as good as if you were to put in an aftermarker deck.

Last edited by phljeeper; 10-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)