Notices
Marketplace Jeep Wrangler JK & JL Vehicles and Parts For Sale Classifieds. Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.

Pentastar engine builder, new drivers cyl. head

For Sale

Engine - Complete

03-14-2018, 06:27 PM | Replies: 3 | Views: 546
  • Expired
JK Enthusiast

• Price
    $800
  • Location Sandy, UT, 84047, USA
  • Condition Used
  • Compatibility
Make Model Year
Jeep Wrangler 2012 - 2018
Description:

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Pentastar engine that was recently pulled. Has 75k miles on it, was running and driving, has a new driver's side cylinder head with less then 5000 miles.

The engine sucked dust past the air filter before I owned it, should be considered a builder, the cylinder walls don't have much of a cross hatch at this point. The cylinder head was replaced with a new head gasket after the damage was done. The work and parts for just the drivers side cylinder head cost $2500 at the dealer. At that point the throttle body and intake were completely cleaned in a parts washer, as well.

Again... This engine was running and driving pretty well, but should be rebuilt. Includes alternator and engine harness, but no computer.

Will sell the complete engine for $800, or just the new drivers side head for $600.

Engine is currently located in Salt Lake City. Not interested in shipping the whole engine, but can ship the one head.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

how much dust was sucked in to do that to the engine? how did you confirm the engine is harmed? how does it drive poorer from a new engine?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepLiam
how much dust was sucked in to do that to the engine? how did you confirm the engine is harmed? how does it drive poorer from a new engine?
How much? I have no idea, the damage happened before I owned it. At some point, someone checked/changed the air filter and didn't properly close the air filter box. No idea how long it sucked dirt. The Jeep has 38k miles on it when I bought it and the damage had been done, it 75k when it was pulled. It was 'damaged' that whole time, but ran good enough to drive all over, take to Baja, Moab, the Rubicon, etc.

The engine was tore down for a head gasket repair and dust was observed on the intake passages, in the head, on the valves, etc when it was apart. The honing on the cyl walls was minimal, they had been finely polished at that point. The new cyl head was tossed on then. The work was done at the dealer and they recommended a completely new engine.... of course. I paid $2500 to have it put back together with a new head, gaskets and clean out the intake.

I noticed that the replacement engine (2015, 18k miles) holds 5th gear longer and I gained just a touch of mileage over the old engine.

Any other questions?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
How much? I have no idea, the damage happened before I owned it. At some point, someone checked/changed the air filter and didn't properly close the air filter box. No idea how long it sucked dirt. The Jeep has 38k miles on it when I bought it and the damage had been done, it 75k when it was pulled. It was 'damaged' that whole time, but ran good enough to drive all over, take to Baja, Moab, the Rubicon, etc.

The engine was tore down for a head gasket repair and dust was observed on the intake passages, in the head, on the valves, etc when it was apart. The honing on the cyl walls was minimal, they had been finely polished at that point. The new cyl head was tossed on then. The work was done at the dealer and they recommended a completely new engine.... of course. I paid $2500 to have it put back together with a new head, gaskets and clean out the intake.

I noticed that the replacement engine (2015, 18k miles) holds 5th gear longer and I gained just a touch of mileage over the old engine.

Any other questions?
did you have a noticeable power increase with the new engine? Does it feel more peppy with just the tap of the peddle? Trying to figure out if my buddies new to him used jeep has damage. Thanks!