Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Finally did Shafer Switchbacks.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to do something like that. Is that part of one of the trails JK Experience ran? Love the pics!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
I would love to do something like that. Is that part of one of the trails JK Experience ran? Love the pics!
No, the JK experience is hardcore trail to the max. Shafer Switchbacks/Potash road is an "easy" rated super scenic trail that gives you a good off day from hardcore wheeling in Moab.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKZinger
No, the JK experience is hardcore trail to the max. Shafer Switchbacks/Potash road is an "easy" rated super scenic trail that gives you a good off day from hardcore wheeling in Moab.
Yep, that's the stuff I like to do... scenic and easy going... true vacation.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xerofall
Yep, that's the stuff I like to do... scenic and easy going... true vacation.
Thanks for posting !

After riding some of the "hardcore" trails I like to drive some easy going and scenic trails also.
I put this on my list !

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm hook too. Planning to go to Moab next year!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

We just got back from our second Moab trip about a week ago and bought my JK 3 days after I got home! lol

Last year we went around the same time and had so much fun, I had to go back even though its a 24 hour road trip from MN.

Both times we stayed in the Mountain Cabins at Morris Last Resort and they are phenomenal. The only reason I wouldn't recommend them is because I don't want anyone to find out! Their rates are great, and the view from the LaSal Mountains is to die for.

If you're renting a Jeep, there's no finer people than the ones at Outlaw/Farabees Jeep rentals. Barb is super nice and have been very accomadating both times we've rented from them.

Shafer trail was awesome. We did that both trips and had a blast. This trip, we actually drove onto the set of "After Earth", a movie coming out next year with Will Smith! Pretty crazy. We also did Chicken's corners this last trip and WOW, what a sweet trail! So many great trails out there. Get the guide book for sure!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a 360 view of Shafer switchbacks I took today that you can click and drag around. Hit the letter F for full screen. Amazing views from top to bottom. http://photosynth.net/view/450ca1e3-...0-ae7a818535aa
Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man you are torturing me!!! Leave in 3 days for Co and then Moab.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

alright... after seeing this tread last year, I always wanted to go on the shafers switchback trail and today i finally went, well, sort of...
After driving through the trail and seeing all the cool scenic areas, the damn switchback was CLOSED! I was overly pissed at the sight of the damn gate being closed/locked and closed sign posted.
Yeah, I went back out the way we came in and ended up driving up the Long Canyon, which was fantastic, to get to island in the sky but I was so upset at the fact the switchback was closed for no reason( I didn't see what the deal was when I looked down at the switchback from the top). I wanted to ask the ranger in the visitor center what's up but even the visitor center was closed.

Closed gate from the top. you can tell the jeep is pissed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2981 (Medium).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	433728
Driving up to Island in the Sky on Pucker Pass starting from Potash Rd. My original plan was to drive up the Shafers switchback and drive down the long canyon but we had to drive up instead.

Name:	DSC_2949 (Medium).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	433729
just like the charles wells book!

Name:	DSC_2972 (Medium).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	433733

Last edited by JHP81; 03-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry, you should call the visitor's center, number in the Wells book, to check the trails, especially this early in the year. They are prone to washouts. I tried for three years while down there with no luck.

Long Canyon is nice... I went up it with my trailer...

Quick Reply: Finally did Shafer Switchbacks.