Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

White Rim Campgrounds: Any Standouts?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Rim Campgrounds: Any Standouts?

Planning a trip to Moab and looking at campsites along the WRT. I'm not a big fan of group sites, so I plan to request the solo sites. Does anyone who's done the WRT have any major preferences or insights as between the following? Thanks in advance!

* Labyrinth
* Hardscrabble
* Potato Bottom
* Candlestick
* White Crack (hike-in)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrt

the whole thing is doable in one day...then u could camp out side the park without issue
if you do it from the guardshack in then there is great camping at the end outside the park by the river....just a thought...its light here till after 9:00
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
Just did White Rim...camped one night at Muphy Hogback - Campsite A. This is a MUST!!!! Spectacular view, easily accessable bathroom, plenty of room. Definitely 5 stars!!!
x2......this place is awsome. Will post up few pics when I get time.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, my 2011 application went in on Monday. Gooseberry A and Hardscrabble were my top choices. Let's see what (if anything) I wind up with. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Gooseberry is kind of out in the open, but you have great views of the distant canyon walls and the La Sals. Beautiful at sunset.

Labyrinth B was probably the prettiest campsite I've ever had while "car" camping. But, it was extremely windy--did I mention the wind was blowing extremely hard? It's well-known for that. We had to use rocks to hold the tents in place. LOL. But the views at sunset and sunrise were just incredible. And the wind (did I mention it was extremely windy?) did die down at sunset and did not return in the morning. ...

I would love to stay at White Crack. Even if you don't camp there, take the short drive out to it, and spend an hour or two hiking around. Probably the best views in the entire park--which is saying a lot in a park filled with incredible views everywhere you turn ...

When you get to the rock in the above two pic's, hike back to where you came and that rock ends/begins. It's obvious. As you're hiking back, look off to your left (approximately NW) and you'll see a trail that leads down into the canyon. I hiked down it about a quarter-mile. It appeared to go much further.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Got my permits today! Gooseberry A and Hardscrabble B. Now the interminable waiting begins.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG Toad... those pics are nice! When I'm in Moab next month, I'm totally going to reserve that spot... mind telling me if it has a specific number?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
See post #3. It's called Murphy Hogback, Campsite A. It's definitely a spectacular site. You need to get a backcountry permit from the ranger station in Canyonlands and you also need to call to reserve it.
Have they changed their policy? I thought it was by mail/fax only. Sites are extremely popular--get your request in many months ahead of time ...

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/reservations.htm
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I meant I was going in to reserve for next EJS... I know they need to be reserved months ahead. I'll fax in the request and see about the permit.

Quick Reply: White Rim Campgrounds: Any Standouts?