Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Here we come! (again...)

Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here we come! (again...)

Headed up on the 17th for a few days. Looking to hit the triple threat, any one with experience as far as time needed? Any locals up for some wheeling?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Captfranny
Headed up on the 17th for a few days. Looking to hit the triple threat, any one with experience as far as time needed? Any locals up for some wheeling?

Hope you have fun. I'm not familiar with "Triple Threat". Care to elaborate?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Poison spider, golden spike, and gold bar rim
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Poison spider, golden spike, and gold bar rim
I've always thought of that as "Golden Spike" as you need to utilize both the other trails to do the middle part. Do you know the origination of the "Triple Threat" name? (I saw it somewhere else browsing this morning)

Oh, about the time. That's a pretty good day. I've ran it as fast as about 6 hours, but that was with extremely prepared rigs, no breakage and no traffic. I think you'll be at least 9-12 hours? There are some cool obstacles but a A LOT of small ledges and small climbs that make it run pretty slow. I believe Moab Friends For Wheelin' or RR4W will likely have the trail marked quite well for EJS. It's not hard to follow, but the trail mostly disappears over the winter.

FWIW, the EJS guided trail takes off an hour earlier than everyone else to run that trail (8 am start vs. 9 am for most other trails). They're usually a good guideline for trail times. I've been a volunteer for four years now and we've usually got everyone off the trail (them, not necessarily their vehicles) by 3-4 pm. I've not run the trail as a EJS volunteer or participant but would assume they are trying to be back to Moab by 5-6 pm at the latest? (subject to change due to trail conditions or potential issues encountered that day)

I've driven off the trail by flashlight/spotter more than once (spotter with a flashlight helps a bunch coming down some of the ledges on Gold Bar Rim). You're only going as fast as someone can walk at that point.

Last edited by Mbryson; 02-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is what I intended as triple threat as well. Thanks for the info. I suspect pretty light traffic during this time. So we will plan a full day.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Captfranny
That is what I intended as triple threat as well. Thanks for the info. I suspect pretty light traffic during this time. So we will plan a full day.

I'd be surprised if you did run into a lot of traffic. Have lots o fun
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two days so far in Moab and We've hit fins n things, Hells Revenge, poison spider, golden spike and gold bar rim. We have not seen a single jeep out here and the weather has been beautiful. Tomorrows a different story, looks to be a wet day.

Quick Reply: Here we come! (again...)