Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Moab solo?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab solo?

Planning a trip down in April and am trying to get good info on the best VIEW trails, that are safe to travel solo.
Plan is to drive down over a weekend (figure we should give ourselves two days), then camp out of the Jeep for the week (Mon-Thur)on the trails, then hit the Bonneville salt flats and some volcanic monuments in Oregon on the way home(figuring three days home).
I have found how to get to "On top of the world" and this is the kind of location we are looking for.
This is not a discussion on supplies, as I can figure that out. Have sat phone, and personal GPS locator. Plus I doubt we'll be the only ones out there.
At the time we go, the Jeep will have a 3" lift with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, but open diffs. Not looking to challenge myself on this trip, but don't mind some obstacles that won't break anything, either.
If anyone can give us trail names and, even better, directions to them, we'd be much appreciated!
Also, are there rules to camping out, passes, or anything needed?
How about finding out about large groups, or events that are happening that will cause crowding, or closing of trails, so I can avoid those weeks?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, top of the world. Also do Shafer Switchbacks and then follow the road back to Moab.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

For trail info: Get the book...... the bible....... the know all, tell all book. I don't remember the name though.

As for events, check with Red Rock 4 wheelers. They are the group that controls EJS so I suspect they'd be a good resource.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
For trail info: Get the book...... the bible....... the know all, tell all book. I don't remember the name though.

As for events, check with Red Rock 4 wheelers. They are the group that controls EJS so I suspect they'd be a good resource.
Is this it:
FunTreks Guidebooks Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails?

Thanks Mark for the idea about Red Rock. Will check out their site and make contact.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the moab Well's 4x4 trail book is good and also google red rocks 4x4 and they have good trail descriptions. First time I went to Moab I went solo and had no issues and did not see many people but it was in July and it was hot. The easy trails are impossible to get lost on. I have done top of the world 4X and if you have a capable rig you should have no problems. I will say I have rarely met other people up there tho and it would be a fair walk out if you break down. bring a mountain bike just in case.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
Is this it:
FunTreks Guidebooks Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails?
Yep that's the one. The first time we went, Jason had that book and we were able to follow it point by point over Golden Spike Trail, otherwise we would have been lost forever. LOL!!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Gemini Bridges Road has some nice scenery. Potashe Road is kinda like the Grand Canyon without all the stupid tourists. The Switchbacks were closed (not sure if it was the snow or rain?) when I was there in Nov. but hopefully they will be opened back up when you go.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
Yep that's the one. The first time we went, Jason had that book and we were able to follow it point by point over Golden Spike Trail, otherwise we would have been lost forever. LOL!!
That is an expensive book! Seem like a good one though.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice thing about the book is you can download all the GPS waypoints (.gpx format) to go with it from their website.

https://www.funtreks.com/suv-4x4-boo...oint-downloads

Last edited by Rob 12B1P; 01-07-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

If you don't want to buy one, you can use mine. I'll be taking it with me to EJS, but you can use it after that.

Quick Reply: Moab solo?