Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Moab solo?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
What day are you going and how much room you got in your jeep?

:-)
April 9-17. Spring break. Me and my two boys are planning on camping out the entire time, so we will be stuffed to the gills. Figuring my roof rack will be fully utilized as well. What are you suggesting?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

What day are you going and how much room you got in your jeep? :-)
Super loaded question. Lol. Here's what I've done on the trails you listed.. Shafer is super easy and will be no problem for you. Awesome views. Hells revenge, like said before is fun because of the slick rock. From what I remember you should have no problems. Lots of optional obstacles if you want to challenge yourself. Poison spider Mesa is probably the toughest on your list. If dry, you'll be fine, the waterfall area has some good/big ledges but you'll find you have great traction on the rocks.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
What are you suggesting?
I'm coming along with!!

Just kiddin :-)

I'm very curious what it's like there that time of year. Looking forward to your report. I've been 3 times and it's always been end of September. I can only assume early spring, things might a little more in bloom and the temps a little milder.

I'm jealous! You're gonna have a blast. You'll get your "Moab legs" pretty quick and you'll realize how much more your jeep can do there than it can here.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm coming along with!!

Just kiddin :-)

I'm very curious what it's like there that time of year. Looking forward to your report. I've been 3 times and it's always been end of September. I can only assume early spring, things might a little more in bloom and the temps a little milder.

I'm jealous! You're gonna have a blast. You'll get your "Moab legs" pretty quick and you'll realize how much more your jeep can do there than it can here.
Where do you overnight on the drive down and back? or do you?
We are actually hitting Bonneville Salt flats, and central Oregon on the way home, so maybe you have not gone that way home.

Slight change of plans. I was hoping to just throw the tent out wherever along the trails, but I am seeing it is highly regulated, so campground it is. Thinking of one of those little three bed cabins some of the grounds offer too. Better night's sleep.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have only gone with groups but I understand if you go to the grocery store in the AM and just hang around you can find a trail buddy to tag along with. Always safer to have 2 Jeeps than one. In April you should see more jeeps on the trail so you will not be alone.

Have fun.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Where do you overnight on the drive down and back? or do you?
We usually just grab a hotel when we get tired. The first time we left right after work so we stopped in Baker City, Or. The second trip we left early in the morning so we stopped in Salt Lake City for the night.

Slight change of plans. I was hoping to just throw the tent out wherever along the trails, but I am seeing it is highly regulated, so campground it is. Thinking of one of those little three bed cabins some of the grounds offer too. Better night's sleep.
Our first trip was super impromptu so we didn't reserve anything. We got into town and picked the first campground we found. It was the Canyonlands Campground in downtown Moab. It wasn't bad, had a full bathroom and was just behind a gas station/convienence store so quick supplies were easy to get. The only crappy part was, it's right next to a hotel so when we woke up freezin' ass cold we'd look through the fence at those nice/cozy hotel rooms and be super jealous.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

The little cabins would be nice so you wouldn't have to pack and load all your crap up every day!

I always stay in twin falls on the way there - puts you in Moab early-mid afternoon. It's about 10 hours if I remember and t leaves you about a 6 hour drive the 2nd day.

We try and make it it baker city in the way home but sounds like you'll be going a different way.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhxSilver
I have only gone with groups but I understand if you go to the grocery store in the AM and just hang around you can find a trail buddy to tag along with. Always safer to have 2 Jeeps than one. In April you should see more jeeps on the trail so you will not be alone.

Have fun.
Yeah, once I figure my trail plan per day out, I was going to post on a couple forums to see if anyone could lead, or tag along with us.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

The little cabins would be nice so you wouldn't have to pack and load all your crap up every day!

I always stay in twin falls on the way there - puts you in Moab early-mid afternoon. It's about 10 hours if I remember and t leaves you about a 6 hour drive the 2nd day.

We try and make it it baker city in the way home but sounds like you'll be going a different way.
I was thinking Twin Falls as well for the night.
Also, a cabin would allow for door storage and any top parts we didn't want to take along. Looks like a cabin it is!
Well, I might have some room after all.

Quick Reply: Moab solo?