Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$3000 budget for lift & tires: Opinions wanted.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post $3000 budget for lift & tires: Opinions wanted.

Hey everybody, first post! Been trolling this site for 3 years and just love it... and i'm Finally FINALLY getting ready to pull the trigger on lift and tires for my 2010 JKU, I have a reasonably flexible budget of 3K, I've searched and searched for this and i'm sure it's out there but I haven't found the EXACT thread to match what i'm looking for so I apologize in advance for asking a question that has been asked a million times in a million ways... but I typically see what's the cheapest lift or what's the best lift? i'm looking for the most bang for the buck. This is the part where the OP gets torn apart because people need to know what's been done to the rig.... and what they intend to use the jeep for. Nothings been done, a tragedy i know, but i couldn't justify the new tires till I wore down the stock ones and needed to replace them anyway!

PLATFORM: bone stock silver 2010 JKU sport.
INTENDED USE: Daily driver/ once a month PNW trail/mud runs (pretty minor stuff my stock jeep has had no problem handling)
GOAL: 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 lift with 35's keeping stock wheels (like the look) (I don't like being the smallest jeep among my buddies anymore!) keeping ride quality on the road the same if not better?
CONSIDERATIONS: I'm ok with not re-gearing, i've driven my buddies non regeared on 35's and it's a little sluggish but not enough of an issue at this point so i'm ok disregarding.
I know i'll need a rear tire carrier upgrade... for now mainly because thinking about it hurts my brain, disregard.

Budgeted items:
Spidertrax spacers $200
BFG A/T 315/70/17 - $1400 -1500 (anybody prefer goodyear duratrak? slightly less or the General grabber A/T a lot less!)
Leaving me $1300-1400 for a lift/shocks installed... so here's where I ask you be gentle with me. the dreaded question.... with that budget what lift would you get? (I think/maybe I can handle the install... is my confidence coming through?)

Again... probably not going to be doing anything my jeep can't currently handle... and was thinking that a budget boost with some really nice shocks might really do the trick? but i'm deferring to you experts?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this should go into "jeep talk" i've seen similar questions on both threads...

Jesse
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would run a teraflex budget boost with a good set of shocks. Depending if you want to keep some money for other parts, you could get their BB, run Monroe reflex monotubes with their stock shock spacers and have a great off road / daily driver setup. I am running the teraflex leveling kit with the monroes and LOVE IT. Rides great, handles great, looks perfect with my 33's. You will get a million and one answers, I am using this setup, and im very picky about how my rigs work. If you want to blow the entire budget on a lift, AEV 2.5 would be a choice. But if your like me, other things will want to be purchased as well so the BB with Monroe setup is a great budget choice that performs. I have not been anywhere yet where my setup did not perform and perform perfectly.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2010 jku and I can't imagine throwing 35s on this slug, but.. I have 305/60r18 km2 m/t(33ish) and no lift and sacrificed a lot less in gas mileage and power. Kept stock flares too and mines a DD/moderate trail ranger. If you want look and height IMHO you can save a lot of gas $$$ by staying in the 33 range, get a good 2.5" lift and use the rest for a winch or snorkel or something cool looking that you friends will be way jealous of and won't kill yourself in power later. I only say this as it is a DD and not a rock monster. Plus the more cash you put in suspension the better your driving experience. Idk I just think 35s would kill this engine lol
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

If I get my lift before you pull el trigger I'll post pics, considered 2.5" as well
Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the following and very pleased. http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-2-5-lift-kit-2.html Kelley Safari TSR M+S LT285/70R17 121/1180

Edit: sorry just noticed you said 35's. Not sure if they make a 35.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj.wise
Leaving me $1300-1400 for a lift/shocks installed... so here's where I ask you be gentle with me. the dreaded question.... with that budget what lift would you get? (I think/maybe I can handle the install... is my confidence coming through?)
FWIW, I was on a budget with my lift decision as well and just recently purchased the following items all for under $1K from NR4X4 using their discount code 'jkforum'

-Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift
-Teraflex HD Steering Stabilizer
-Fox 2.0 Evolution Shocks
-AEV Geometry Correction Brackets
-Daystar 3/4 Coil Spacers
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Pick a budget boost of your choice, some cheap 10" travel shocks, and some 2" bump stops. Brands really don't matter.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Pick a budget boost of your choice, some cheap 10" travel shocks, and some 2" bump stops. Brands really don't matter.
Thanks Dirtman, I've read your thoughts on lift kits a few times and really appreciate your input. What i'm wavering on is
exactly what you suggested BB, (why cheap shocks?) - seems like this will maintain the at least the current ride quality (is that thinking correct?) & leaves me with a little extra cash for that tire carrier i didn't want to think about...
vs
a cheaper (RC or RE) 3.5 that seems like a complete kit, within budget (barely)

if you had a choice between these you'd go with BB set up you suggested?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

From the limited information I have about you and your intentions I would recommend you get a spacer lift. Personally I am going to be putting 34" duratracs and flat fenders with the JKS ACOS on my JKU.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
From the limited information I have about you and your intentions I would recommend you get a spacer lift. Personally I am going to be putting 34" duratracs and flat fenders with the JKS ACOS on my JKU.
appreciated, any reason for duratrak over BFG? just personal preference or performance, durability?

and again why did you say "cheap 10" travel shocks" from my very VERY limited expereince and time on here... it seems like people boast about the shocks being all the ride quality?

Quick Reply: $3000 budget for lift & tires: Opinions wanted.