Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10A Hard Rock Rails and 35's?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default 10A Hard Rock Rails and 35's?

I've been considering picking up a set of the Mopar Enhanced Rock rails that come on the 10A/Rubicon X. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using these with a 35 or larger tire? It doesn't look like there is any way to trim them down if there ends up being rear tire clearance problems. I'm afraid to buy them, only to find out my 35s will rub on them.

I currently have the stock Sahara step rails (ie plastic) and already purchased a set of Rubicon rock rails which I haven't put on but can be trimmed down. I'm thinking I might need a step, so that's why I'm now considering the 10A Rock rails instead of putting on the Rubicon rails.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I'll play, I liked the looks of this rail too even though it's stock.

What I found was, the mopar cost is ridiculous. Other mfg companies are making similar products at nearly half the price, unless you're scoring an inside deal locally or personally.

When searching I found the ORFab had nearly all the same features, install being the main difference. Great now, they're outta business. But the ones I was nearly set on were the extreme terrain enhanced Rubi slider. Very very similar and reasonable price.

As far as the trimming I had my pinch seam trimmed long before 35s but if you're planning on new rails anyhow! Take em off right after ordering new ones, trim for clearance and looks like there's plenty of room in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2640421677.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	661521  
Old 11-23-2016, 03:24 AM
JK Junkie

My answer to the tire placement in the wheel well is kinda negated. Axle is just shy of an inch back on my JK as well as trimmed up.

Granted I plan on going larger tires and such. But your rig has came along very nicely, if you can install the lift and other mods a little trimming is not much. I saw a really good video by metal cloak or rock krawler can't remember making it caveman easy. Of course, that's the route I took.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sa29560
Guess I'll play, I liked the looks of this rail too even though it's stock.

What I found was, the mopar cost is ridiculous. Other mfg companies are making similar products at nearly half the price, unless you're scoring an inside deal locally or personally.

When searching I found the ORFab had nearly all the same features, install being the main difference. Great now, they're outta business. But the ones I was nearly set on were the extreme terrain enhanced Rubi slider. Very very similar and reasonable price.

As far as the trimming I had my pinch seam trimmed long before 35s but if you're planning on new rails anyhow! Take em off right after ordering new ones, trim for clearance and looks like there's plenty of room in this pic.
Agree with the Mopar prices. I found a reasonably priced set locally. About the same price as you mentioned for the similar looking aftermarket styles. That's why I'm considering going this route instead of trying to figure out a step solution for the Rubi rails that I already have. My wife and kids are already having troubles getting in with the Sahara steps.

Now, I have some dumb questions.

What is the pinch seem? and how do you trim it to address rock rail wheel clearance?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can trim roughly 1" off the rear of the rail without issue. I ran 35's without trimming but I did recenter the rear axle by using upper and lower adjustable control arms. Remember the rear axle will swing back as the suspension compresses so that will help with clearance.

Have you seen these in person? I think you will be disappointed if you are wanting to use these as a step as they do not stick out very far.

Last edited by up4rox; 11-23-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks!!! That helps a lot. No, I haven't seen them in person. Good advise, I should go out in my work's parking lot and scope out a couple of the HR JK's that are out there. Hopefully, someone has them installed and doesn't think I'm messing with their vehicle.

My other option would be to add some steps to the Rubicon rails I currently have, but I'm not sure what is available and would work well. In adding steps, I would like something that can be folded up and out of the way but could be left down as well. I picked up the Rubicon rails for $100 from a guy on Craigslist when I purchased an AEV front bumper from him. So I feel pretty comfortable, I could turn around and sell those and get my money back.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had these on my Rubicon X but I traded them for some Poison Spyder. They only rubbed on my 35s when they were fully stuffed into the wheel well. My kids and wife would use them to step into the Jeep, so yes they weren't very wide but they were wide enough to step on.

I would never rub until I was in extremely flexy uneven terrain. I have a 3" Mopar lift with fixed control arms.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the responses. I just checked them out on a JKU HR Rubicon with stock HR wheels.

The step space is definitely small, where it's currently raining. I'm now steering away from these as I'm feeling although it's enough to fit your toes on, but when they're wet as it is now or using them in the dark as a step, I can see where it would be pretty easy for someone to slip and fall. The trimming is also limited to about 1in as noted and they do stick back kind of far into the wheel well. I'm kind of disappointed seeing them in person considering how much they cost and being an OE accessory. No wonder the guy selling them keeps lowering his asking price.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

This why I went orfab. Bigger step, really high and tight to the jeep, and under 400 shipped brand new.

But as I said, they're outta business now. For the value, I still feel like it was a good move.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have been running the stock hard rock rails for two years now. Have no plans of changing them out. I only have very light scuff marks on the ends from stuff being stuck to the tire.

http://rs1220.pbsrc.com/albums/dd446...h=210&fit=crop
http://rs1220.pbsrc.com/albums/dd446...h=210&fit=crop

Last edited by thacker8394; 11-23-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 10A Hard Rock Rails and 35's?