Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14/56 to 17/59 spring swap, spacer too?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks perfect to me. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

When I swapped in 18/59's for the 14/55's, I used a 1/2" spacer up front to level it.

when I recently added 285's, I used a 1" spacer up front and a 1/2" out back:

​​​​
Old 05-08-2018, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

As far as your reluctance of using spacers, I have 1.5 " Spidertrax installed in both pics above. I've used them on every Jeep I've owned. Not only do they make the stance look much better with the stock rims, they improve the handling a ton. Much wider track handles great in corners and eliminates some of the back and forth bobbing common with 2 door wranglers.

I highly recommend Spidertrax. I would avoid cheap ebay china knock-offs any any cost.
The following users liked this post:
eng23ine (05-15-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the picture. That's basically what I am looking for. A bit higher and level. As to spacers, how often do you re torque. I have back issues so random checks and wheel removal for me is a bigger deal than for some.

Did you "need" the extra 1/2" to fit the 285's or did you just do it?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
As far as your reluctance of using spacers, I have 1.5 " Spidertrax installed in both pics above. I've used them on every Jeep I've owned. Not only do they make the stance look much better with the stock rims, they improve the handling a ton. Much wider track handles great in corners and eliminates some of the back and forth bobbing common with 2 door wranglers.

I highly recommend Spidertrax. I would avoid cheap ebay china knock-offs any any cost.
Originally Posted by JKcity
Appreciate the picture. That's basically what I am looking for. A bit higher and level. As to spacers, how often do you re torque. I have back issues so random checks and wheel removal for me is a bigger deal than for some.

The adapters are safe. I've ran them most of the 140,000 I have. Check torque every rotation. They have never loosened. Take washer off of hub and loctite them.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

OK, I am thinking of just running 1" coil spacers on front with the 17/59. Will this give me what I need to clear the 33's ultimately? Also will the factory sway bar links be fine?

Last edited by JKcity; 05-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

It's recommended to re-torque once after initial install, but they are installed with loctite per instructions. I've never had or heard of a loctited spacer nut coming loose. I've put over 100k on spacers and never had an issue.
Spacers have been used on some highly modified rigs on some of the most difficult trails in the US for decades now. Every documented case of spacer failure I've seen is either user installation error related or cheap no-name brand with questionable materials and construction.

I only added 1/2" to the front and back to retain the wheel-well space that I had before. Purely aesthetics.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 05-08-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

OK, I am thinking of just running 1" coil spacers on front with the 17/59. Will this give me what I need to clear the 33's ultimately? Also will the factory sway bar links be fine?
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72d2a

The 1" spacer with your spring replacement is going to raise your front about 2" overall. I found the 1" spacer in front with no spacer in the back gave it a bit nose-high stance, but I'm super picky. I'd just go with a 1/2" spacer up front with the springs alone.
Personally I'd get the kit above which replaces both front and rear swaybar endlinks (you re-use the fronts out back). It will correct the sway bar angle and then you'll have extra spacers if wanted/needed later.
I used a 1" up front and then the rear spacers in the kit in place of the rear isolators which gave me 1/2" of lift in the rear.

So basically I needed only 1/2" of additional front lift to level after the spring swap. ymmv
Old 05-08-2018, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking then I'll just try the 1/2 spacer up front then for starters to be easy and cheap. Though, I note you have 18 fronts and I will have 17. Maybe then a 3/4" spacer in front with nothing else gives me the level I need. So the debate is start with 1/2", 3/4" or 1" and see where I am at. Obviously I'd prefer not to do the work twice if I can guess right upfront. Seems a lot of threads say a 1" upfront only gets you darn close. So I come back to my initial hunch of 3/4" only in front gets me close, if slightly raked, I am OK, I figure it's apart though might as well put something in there.

Last edited by JKcity; 05-08-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking then I'll just try the 1/2 spacer up front then for starters to be easy and cheap. Though, I note you have 18 fronts and I will have 17. Maybe then a 3/4" spacer in front with nothing else gives me the level I need. So the debate is start with 1/2", 3/4" or 1" and see where I am at. Obviously I'd prefer not to do the work twice if I can guess right upfront. Seems a lot of threads say a 1" upfront only gets you darn close. So I come back to my initial hunch of 3/4" only in front gets me close, if slightly raked, I am OK, I figure it's apart though might as well put something in there.
3/4" would be a good place to start.

Quick Reply: 14/56 to 17/59 spring swap, spacer too?