Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17x9 vs 17x8 inch rim? Off Roading questions

Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 17x9 vs 17x8 inch rim? Off Roading questions

Ok guys im trying to more research daily before i pull the trigger on a set of rims and tires for my JK. I have a 2.5 RK X Factor sitting in my garage waiting to be installed but first trying to get rims/tires. I know i will need at least 4.5 inch backspacing but as im doing my research im finding a bigger selection of rims in the 8 inch wide vs the 9 inch wide. I am also looking at running a 17inch rim as im finding more tire selection in that size.

I read this in a sticky below:

Q: Are all rims the same or is there a certain type of rim for offroading?
A: So long as you can mount your tire on it, a rim is pretty much a rim. Some Jeepers prefer to run steel wheels as they are typically much more affordable, are easy to touch up and will bend as oppsed to breaking but, they also tend to be heavier than aluminum. The one thing I would recommend is that you try and get a rim that is about 8" in width. The narrower width will help keep your tires from loosing a bead when aired down for the trail.

Q: How do you determine what size tire will fit what size rim correctly?
A: Typically, most off road tires come in a 12.50" width and for the most part, a 10" wide rim is what you would want. However, unless you are running beadlocks, I would recommend that you select a wheel that is 8" in width or there abouts. When aired down for the trail, the narrower width will help prevent your tires from loosing a bead.

Questions:

1- Can someone please explain why an 8 inch rim would perform better than a 9 inch rim with a 35x12.50 R17 wide tire ? For instance the tire not losing a bead. Just not understanding it from reading it in the sticky

2- What are the major differences in running a 8 vs 9 inch wide rim when running a 35x12.50 R17 tire ? Advantages and dis advantages of each ?

Thank you for the time in reading this and helping.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1-yes
2-Except for the Goodyear MTR that is 35x12.50R17, most tires this size are designed for much heavier, full size, lifted trucks. As a result, the need to be run at lower tire psi on a jeep. With an 8" wheel, the tire run at a lower psi on the street (22-28 psi depending on the tire), will have flatter treadwear.

Avoid load range E tires unless your jeep is going to be very heavy loaded with gear and aftermarket parts. Get Ds, or I'd your rig is lighter, get the Goodyear C.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
1-yes
2-Except for the Goodyear MTR that is 35x12.50R17, most tires this size are designed for much heavier, full size, lifted trucks. As a result, the need to be run at lower tire psi on a jeep. With an 8" wheel, the tire run at a lower psi on the street (22-28 psi depending on the tire), will have flatter treadwear.

Avoid load range E tires unless your jeep is going to be very heavy loaded with gear and aftermarket parts. Get Ds, or I'd your rig is lighter, get the Goodyear C.

Thanks man for the help
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Any other insight before i pull the trigger ?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

So assuming correctly by what i read an 8inch would be better. Thinking i will pull the trigger on these. Free shipping and no tax is not a bad deal. Cheapest i can see so far.

Pro Comp 7005 Black Wheels - Best Price on ProComp 7005 Satin/Flat/Matte Black Rims for Trucks
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

I'd get the 8s if you are going to off road the jeep.

Before you buy them there, I'd contact the 4wd Hardware, Quadratec, and Discounttiredirect reps on this forum directly to see if they can meet or beat the shipped price.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I'd get the 8s if you are going to off road the jeep.

Before you buy them there, I'd contact the 4wd Hardware, Quadratec, and Discounttiredirect reps on this forum directly to see if they can meet or beat the shipped price.
Thanks man i will. Appreciate the help. Hoping to order tomorrow and then find me a set of used 35s to get all this put together. I should be able to run the 35s without an lift and flat fenders right ?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look good, and specs seem good. A lot of places price match, might be worth calling around. You may be able to get an even better deal.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Curranmw28
Those look good, and specs seem good. A lot of places price match, might be worth calling around. You may be able to get an even better deal.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Yeah im trying to get a hold of the sponsors now and see what they can make happen.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Thanks man i will. Appreciate the help. Hoping to order tomorrow and then find me a set of used 35s to get all this put together. I should be able to run the 35s without an lift and flat fenders right ?
With trimming of the front and rear pinch seams in the rear fender wells and maybe 1" rear extended bumpstops, yes.

Quick Reply: 17x9 vs 17x8 inch rim? Off Roading questions