Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 plus .5 spacers?

Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 plus .5 spacers?

Cant seem to find the answer I need. I want a 3" total lift to run 35's and like the way it looks. I do light off road trails and drive it about 300 miles a month on the road, but it's still mostly stock. I would like to start taking on the more difficult local trails but the one time I tried I wound up almost high centered so need the lift and tires to do them. My main question is will a 2.5 with .5 spacers cause all the same geometry issues as a 3" coil lift? And would adjustable control arms work if I go with a 2.5 coil now and switch to a 3" later on?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Three inches is three inches, whether it is from a spacer, a coil, or a coil/spacer combo. The variable will be the actual measured height given by the coil you choose, which can differ between mfg's and with different loads on different vehicles.

And yes, one of the benefits of adjustable control arms is that they are ... adjustable. Adjust them as needed for caster/pinion/lift height. Many of the CA Brackets also have multiple positions for various lift heights.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wandell (08-19-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Forget about the .5in spacer. When it's advertised as a 2.5in lift, that's typically a minimum lift amount with added weight. Most 2.5in lifts are just over 3inches of actual lift. As an example, my Mopar 2in lift is 3inches of actual lift. What's more important is what the vendor states is the max tire size which can be used with the lift.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Comments above are spot on.

2.5” and 35’s is a good look, and very capable off road. As mentioned, you’re probably going to see more than that amount of actual lift anyhow. I’d just forget about the spacer idea (unless they’re being used to level out some rake that drives you crazy). Regardless of what your actual achieved lift is with whatever spring you select, if ˝” is the difference between you getting high centered or not, there will always be something a little bigger/taller for you to get high centered on WITH the spacer. Also, taller isn’t always better. You might gain a little clearance…..but you also raise your center of gravity, which will make off camber things feel a little more…..fun.

Whatever you decide to go with, do yourself a favor and budget for a decent bit more cost. Once you start modifying, you will likely find other things that need to be addressed due to your mods. You obviously will need to address caster as you know, but you could run in to things like DS clearances (front with exhaust, rear with evap), might smack and bend wimpy factory TR on something, larger tires and heavier wheeling will wear factory ball joints quickly, might want to add heavier diff covers, bump stops may or may not be properly sized....same with shocks (just cuz they come with a kit doesn't mean their perfect). Just saying, generally, plan for there to be more costs involved and budget appropriately. Lotta people think the cost of the lift/wheels/tires is it and they/re set, but that is really just getting started.

A modified jeep that is well used off the pavement is more than often a labor of love. Usually it's not as simple as slapping lift on, set it and forget it.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Comments above are spot on.

2.5” and 35’s is a good look, and very capable off road. As mentioned, you’re probably going to see more than that amount of actual lift anyhow. I’d just forget about the spacer idea (unless they’re being used to level out some rake that drives you crazy). Regardless of what your actual achieved lift is with whatever spring you select, if ˝” is the difference between you getting high centered or not, there will always be something a little bigger/taller for you to get high centered on WITH the spacer. Also, taller isn’t always better. You might gain a little clearance…..but you also raise your center of gravity, which will make off camber things feel a little more…..fun.

Whatever you decide to go with, do yourself a favor and budget for a decent bit more cost. Once you start modifying, you will likely find other things that need to be addressed due to your mods. You obviously will need to address caster as you know, but you could run in to things like DS clearances (front with exhaust, rear with evap), might smack and bend wimpy factory TR on something, larger tires and heavier wheeling will wear factory ball joints quickly, might want to add heavier diff covers, bump stops may or may not be properly sized....same with shocks (just cuz they come with a kit doesn't mean their perfect). Just saying, generally, plan for there to be more costs involved and budget appropriately. Lotta people think the cost of the lift/wheels/tires is it and they/re set, but that is really just getting started.

A modified jeep that is well used off the pavement is more than often a labor of love. Usually it's not as simple as slapping lift on, set it and forget it.
I actually forgot about the ball joints, but I was thinking of going with the Teraflex speed bump stops as they feel really good on my buddy's 4 door and was gonna get the fox 2.0 resivor shocks as one of the stock Rubicon shocks blew out. Luckily my buddy's 4 door is also a Rubicon so he gave them to me as replacements. And ya I was hoping to avoid the ds clearance issues because I've heard on the 2drs they're worse than on the longer 4drs, and right now I just have some hone made diff covers to help protect the factory ones till I can get some proper ones.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Are you guys doing higher speed wheelin' up there? I'm just curious since you're talking about resi shocks and TF speed bumps. Seems like most people that can recognize the benefits of those things are doing faster wheelin' where the shocks are getting quick workouts and you need something more like a speed bump to help protect you from quick bounces vs. a standard bump stop. Only asking as those items aren't cheap. You may need them, you may just want them, idk....if you aren't going to recognize the full benefits of them, you might be able to save some money, get something just as good for your intended use, and be able to upgrade something else instead. Your comment though about liking the way the TF speed bumps "feel" lead me to think you're really bouncing around. That's just not how I imagine Oregon I guess.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the central part of the state known as the "high desert" and about 75% of so is in 3rd-4th gear and my kids love the "bouncy" fire road type trails which I take them out on every other weekend usually. I know there are some more forest style trails but those are 3-4 hrs away so I don't usually get to those.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Quick Reply: 2.5 plus .5 spacers?