Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 rough country on jku, minimal problems

Old 03-16-2019, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ended up going with the aev correction brackets since quadratec said the rancho kit wasnt in stock for 3 weeks. The aev brackets fit really nice and it drives a whole lot better. At the same time I did all 4 new control arms. Seems to have fixed all of that pretty well.

Now, the shocks suck. Way too soft for this jeep, they need to go. I have kings on my truck but would rather not go that route. With 9000s I'll never feel the need to adjust n crawl under to adjust but are those or would the 5100s be better..?? I know just asking an opinion, the springs are pretty soft.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

The Bilstein 5100s are a good shock, but will be very stiff.....the whole other end of the spectrum. That may or may not bother you. The Fox are very similar IMO and cost a few bucks more. I have Fox, and have had several buddies run the 5100s. They work for us, but just be aware they are stiff.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

If they are too stiff, what shocks aren't stiff..? The 9000 softer..?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatblack83
If they are too stiff, what shocks aren't stiff..? The 9000 softer..?
The 9000's are adjustable. You want them stiff, turn the knobs. Want them soft, turn the knobs the other way. As food for thought - Rancho currently has a promotion going, should be a $50 prepaid card for four 9000 shocks. And they also offer a 90-day free trial on them. Not a bad deal.

I thought that 5100's were stiff as well. But as with most everything else, it's personal opinion and preference. The OP of this thread had the opposite viewpoint, and thinks they give a great ride.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...lcloak-349536/

If you want other options, I went to OME Long Travel shocks after the 5100's. Softer than the bilsteins's, but not a super-soft cushy ride. They are somewhere in the middle, and they had better travel numbers than the 9000's. And MetalCloaks new RockSport shocks have similar specs to the OME's.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-16-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks for the options. I'm not sure what shocks to buy now..lol. The rc springs seem real soft and ride ok, the shocks dont soak anything up tho. Maybe the 9000 would be ok since they can be adjusted. How well does that work tho..?

Old 03-16-2019, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have no experience with them, but previous posts have indicated that some folks have had the knobs corrode and stop working, or break off. That may depend on location/environment - harsh winters and road salt? Worth a little research.

Rancho is fairly active on the forum, so it wouldn't hurt to send them a message to get their take on it.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Knobs are easy to replace.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I have no experience with them, but previous posts have indicated that some folks have had the knobs corrode and stop working, or break off. That may depend on location/environment - harsh winters and road salt? Worth a little research.

Rancho is fairly active on the forum, so it wouldn't hurt to send them a message to get their take on it.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rancho
Knobs are easy to replace.
I prob made a mistake and ordered the 7000s.. the ride needs to be firmed up, with the rough country shocks it's like a boat
Old 03-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

The RS7000MT is a monotube style shock, so a firmer ride.
The RS5000X is a great all around shock, soft in general, but the way the valve shim stack is designed is that it "firms" up when the road gets tough.
And as has been mentioned the RS9000XL is adjustable for the ride you want
Matt

I prob made a mistake and ordered the 7000s.. the ride needs to be firmed up, with the rough country shocks it's like a boat
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Wink

And we have a TON of geo brackets ready to go too!!!

Ended up going with the aev correction brackets since quadratec said the rancho kit wasnt in stock for 3 weeks. The aev brackets fit really nice and it drives a whole lot better. At the same time I did all 4 new control arms. Seems to have fixed all of that pretty well.

Now, the shocks suck. Way too soft for this jeep, they need to go. I have kings on my truck but would rather not go that route. With 9000s I'll never feel the need to adjust n crawl under to adjust but are those or would the 5100s be better..?? I know just asking an opinion, the springs are pretty soft.

Quick Reply: 2.5 rough country on jku, minimal problems