Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 rough country on jku, minimal problems

Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Logic says when most full featured kits cost a certain amount, and another one is a fraction of that but lacks basic components, there's going to be issues with the latter. I just question the wisdom of a $400 lift on a $45k+ Rubicon, when another $600 gets you in the sweet spot right out of the box.
The biggest problem is many people don't know what they don't know. You can stand in a 4WP all day long and see people walk up to the counter and start with a line like "I want to get my son's jeep/truck lifted for his birthday, and I don't know anything about this stuff, but I have $600 to spend". And even people doing it themselves start looking online, figure they're really just lifting for looks and pavement use and don't think they need all that fancy stuff in the big packages. Most people just don't understand the can of worms their opening. To top everything off, I just don't think a lot of people even think about forums like this as a starting point anymore. I can tell you that when I got in to the game, I didn't know jack shit. Never had a lifted truck, never owned a wrangler. Because I knew that I didn't know anything, I looked to buy something that was already lifted from a dealer, thinking that it would be done properly, and that I'd have an easier time with any warranty issues. Well, we can all look at that last statement and realize how ridiculous that thought process is. It didn't take long to realize my mistakes. I'm ashamed to admit them, but then again, it was all part of the process to ending up where I am now. It's the biggest motivation for me just trying to help out a few random strangers that find themselves in the same situation, or prevent them from making the same mistakes I made along the way.

I've had to join a few other forums recently. I just bought a '12 Ford Focus hatchback for my soon-to-be 16yo daughter. As I start to dig in to those MK3 forums, I remind myself "this is what all the JK newbs" feel like, and it helps me stay a little more patient.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the rancho 7000mt steering stabilizer on with the synergy tie rod clamp and the relocation bracket. I only have 10 miles on it but so far so good. I will say it was a bitch to collapse and bolt on since the strap was cut. The rancho 9000 xl's I turned down, it rides pretty nice. It could be looking like 35-12.50-18 mtr's on saharah 18s. I'd rather do away with the spacers tho.

I bought the rc lift thinking to myself I dont need all that fancy stuff. Althought I should of taken more time and looked at it... I have a straight axled 2500hd chevy with a 60 up front and king coilovers. Its 4 linked with ballistic joints and radflo bump stops. It's on kings because i was cheap and did coil springs with heims and it sucked..lol. I'm into the straight axled 4wd stuff, I didnt think a less than 3 inch lift would need this much. Live n learn, I should of searched and yes joining the forum 1st would of been a great idea..!!!

Last edited by Flatblack83; 04-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Logic says when most full featured kits cost a certain amount, and another one is a fraction of that but lacks basic components, there's going to be issues with the latter. I just question the wisdom of a $400 lift on a $45k+ Rubicon, when another $600 gets you in the sweet spot right out of the box.
Logic says when most full featured long arm coil over kits cost a certain amount, and others suspension lifts cost a fraction of that but lacks basic components from a full coil over suspension lift, there's going to be issues with the latter. I just question the wisdom of a $1K lift on a $45K+ Rubicon, when $30K gets you in the sweet spot right out of the box for a full long arm coil over lift.

See what I did there? Just substituted your situation with the OP's using the exact same logic.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatblack83
I only have 10 miles on it but so far so good. I will say it was a bitch to collapse and bolt on since the strap was cut.
It's really amazing how much fun it can be in install shocks. I recall the first time I slapped on new shocks I thought it should be a simple 20 minute job. Dang gas charged units make it a little trickier.....specially if you miss that first attempt to get em in place.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Some small ratchet straps, like motorcycle tie-downs, will help. The ones with hooks.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

The skyjacker steering stabilizer leaked from one side really bad, I tore it off and quadratec credited me for it under warranty. So I bought the synergy tierod clamp and a rancho 7000mt. Its gas charged so it pulls a little but it works perfect..!!

On that last note, I bought the cheaper lift only because i figured 4 springs and shocks with a small lift would be fine...i dont need all those other fancy parts...boy was I wrong, live n learn. Or...look online to see what reviews and comments are.

It drives decent but still not what I really want, I guess I'll look into different springs and a few other things.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

I'm looking to remove the rough country 2.5 springs. I'd like to stay around that height, looking for something softer and more road friendly. The jeep drives fine but I still think the springs suck. This is a long shot but what are some of your opinions on a smooth riding spring, or I should say the correct spring rate.

When my straight axled 2500hd on 37s rides better than the jeep it's a problem..lol
Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you know what actual measured lift height you received with those RC coils? It is worth noting that some of the available options are likely to give taller measured lifts, and with more height comes the probability that more components will be wanted.

I like the ride of the MC dual rate coils. The 3.5" gave me about 4.5" on my relatively light 4door, and the range I have seen reported for their 2.5" coils is 3"-3.5".

I was not happy with the OME HD (heavy duty) coils I ran before the MC's, as I didn't have enough weight for them. Ended up around 3.25" with a very stiff ride. The OME Light Duty and Medium Duty coils get very good reviews, and should be in the 2.5"-2.75" and 2.75"-3" ranges from reading previous posts.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Actually I measured it a month ago, it looked like 2 3/8 up front and 2 1/4 on the rear. So if the new coils get me to 3 inches or under I'll be ok. I have an adjustable track bar up front, raised axle bracket on the rear and correction brackets so I can adjust accordingly.

We have have no plans for a winch or bumpers at the moment so the light Duty coil idea might be good. I was just looking at the mc coils too...a few opinions or people that have em with reviews are great too..

Last edited by Flatblack83; 05-18-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

I picked these wheels up the other day, real nice shape but not the greatest looking I know. I'm going to stuff the duratrac 325 65 18s on them. It's a little too much width for the wheels but I think it will work. Should fill the fender gaps pretty nice and be a little better than the mud tires on the road I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: 2.5 rough country on jku, minimal problems