JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   2.5 in Rubicon Lift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/2-5-rubicon-lift-350021/)

Rocko 04-19-2019 04:41 AM

2.5 in Rubicon Lift

Sooooo here we go..........I am installing my Rubicon 2.5 in lift today........I bought some Nitro 8.0 shocks to try as well........... I will be running 35's as well.....Will I need to get my caster checked after i get everything straight? Just wondering if anyone that has installed this kit had any issues

nthinuf 04-19-2019 08:12 AM

They have multiple versions of 2.5" lift. Without knowing which components you are installing, hard to say...

But, Caster is not adjustable from the factory, so, are you adding components that would actually allow an alignment shop to adjust it? Same with Camber, not adjustable from the factory. Toe can be adjusted, but will not change due to the lift like caster does, so a shop probably won't touch it. The steering wheel can be re-centered, but you should be centering that yourself as part of the install.

WaterRat72 04-19-2019 08:06 PM

Ok, let me keep this as brief as possible...

I installed the RE 2.5" along with 3/4" Daystar pucks for a nice juicy 3" overall lift when you factor in the bit 'o sag from my steel bumper, winch, etc. I also went to 35" tires.

I drove (myself crazy) for the next 2 1/2 years with steering & suspension issues (and I'm a good installer). What I am not good with as it turns out, is correct axle geometry and alignment.

2 things.
1) If possible, have a shop do that part. I finally went to my local 4 Wheel Parts and had them replace some worn out parts. After 3 years it turns out I actually really did need a new set of ball joints. They also installed #2. More on that in a moment. I'm a do-it-myselfer through and through. Some things are worth paying the pro's to do.
2) If you value keeping your fillings in your teeth and not inadvertently changing lanes whenever you hit a bump in the road, install front control arm drop brackets (or adjustable control arms if you want to look cooler and fudge the actual correct geometry). These don't come with the lift kit. I have no idea why.

Done and done. After 75k miles, I've re-discovered the joy of driving my rig. Oh yeah... I ended up tossing that little bag with "front align washers" in the circular file.

resharp001 04-20-2019 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by WaterRat72 (Post 4340474)
install front control arm drop brackets (or adjustable control arms if you want to look cooler and fudge the actual correct geometry). These don't come with the lift kit. I have no idea why.

To be fair, the kit does include a means of caster correction, which is the cam bolts that you so rightfully chunked in the trash. Those cam bolts retail fro ~$42, but are worth exactly $0. They include those instead of the control arm brackets to keep the price point down. What is really frustrating is that for another $50, they could just include control arm brackets instead of those POS cam bolts. 50 measly bucks more (than cam bolts), and about 5000x better. I guess including them in their kit is the only way they'd sell any of those cam bolts......AND, they typically end up getting the sale on the brackets in addition. :crazyeyes:

OP, definitely include a form of caster correction if the kit doesn't come with one.....preferably not cam bolts.

WaterRat72 04-22-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4340478)
To be fair, the kit does include a means of caster correction, which is the cam bolts that you so rightfully chunked in the trash. Those cam bolts retail fro ~$42, but are worth exactly $0. They include those instead of the control arm brackets to keep the price point down. What is really frustrating is that for another $50, they could just include control arm brackets instead of those POS cam bolts. 50 measly bucks more (than cam bolts), and about 5000x better. I guess including them in their kit is the only way they'd sell any of those cam bolts......AND, they typically end up getting the sale on the brackets in addition. :crazyeyes:

OP, definitely include a form of caster correction if the kit doesn't come with one.....preferably not cam bolts.

I was talking about these things... (I still have no idea what they are for or where they go)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...06b9e1cba7.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...680d181057.jpg

nthinuf 04-22-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by WaterRat72 (Post 4340611)
I was talking about these things... (I still have no idea what they are for or where they go)

Those are the cam bolts. To install, you disconnect the lower control arms from the axle, make bigger notches in the brackets, then slap those puppies on and reconnect the control arms. This allows a small amount of caster correction, which was lowered due to the lift. The downside is that they have been known to slip, which takes the caster back down to where it was post-lift. And if you choose to remove them, you need to do something about the enlarged holes in the brackets.

The better choice for caster correction is Drop Brackets, Longer/Shorter Fixed control arms, or Adjustable control arms.

resharp001 04-22-2019 02:58 PM

damn, they've gotten even chincier....they used to include these, which were redonk for $48 (or possibly, that was just for their 3.5" kit...regardless, they're both the same for the most part) -

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/rubico.../R-BKTG-RE1475

That's why I was saying brackets were only $50 more than these pos cam bolts. but, we're saying the same thing...don't use em. :thumbsup:

nthinuf 04-22-2019 03:01 PM

Yeah, I read something about this new style slipping less than the type you linked. Don't think I've seen anything posted to confirm or disprove that, though.