Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 Teraflex Install and a big thanks to JK Forum!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Teraflex Install and a big thanks to JK Forum!

I just finished the install of my Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. All in all, the install went about how I expected it to, especially after hours of reading up on the various forums. My thanks go out to all of you who support and add to the incredible amounts of knowledge to be found here on JK Forum. Any time I ran into an issue my first step was a quick muttering of four letter words that were then followed immediately by a quick visit here to try and find a solution. Sure enough almost every one of my questions was answered in one thread or another and I was able to finish up the install in about 12 hours of work total!

A few thoughts on the install itself:

- Teraflex instructions and demonstration videos were very helpful in the whole process. Everything was written clearly or demonstrated clearly on the videos.

- I got some loaner spring compressors from Pep Boys but found that if you disconnect everything properly from the axle the springs literally just fall out.

- The top bolts and nuts on all four sway bar links were completely seized up with rust, which I thought was very strange as it is only a 2012...., and took some serious muscle to get off.

- Don't even get me started on the passenger side front shock (I upgraded to Bilstein shocks). What a PITA! it took all I had to not just give up for the day at that point.

A few tips for those of you thinking of doing an install yourself:

- Get a buddy! One will help, two is even better. It helps to get a rest in while they struggle with a nut or bolt while you sip a cold one.

- Invest in a quality set of jack stands that are 6 tons rated or better and a tall SUV floor jack. I still didn't like being under the jeep with just jack stands supporting it but felt very comfortable that they were not going anywhere

- Spray your nuts and bolts with some sort of penetrating compound a few days in advance! I didn't think my 2012 could have that much rust on it so I didn't spray any and boy I really suffered the consequences.

- Just rip out that plastic above the passenge shock with some pliers or use a dremel. I used both and eventually got enough space to slide my wrench and allen key in to tighten the shocks down.

- Speaking of allen key... Bilstein 5100 shocks have a spot for an allen wrench on top of the threads to hold it in place while you tighten the nut! Instructions included were of little to no help and it took some searching around for me to figure this one out

Those are all I can think of right now but again I just wanted to thank all you users out there that contribute to this forum and I look forward to being a part of the Jeep community!

I told myself/my girlfriend when I bought this baby that a lift and new rims would be the only mods I would do as I didn't want it to turn into a moneypit. Now after the lift is on all I can think about is how much better it would look/perform with a new set of bumpers and rock rails O well better just turn my pockets inside out now, while I'm still young

Last edited by chapmans; 06-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it will never stop. I said the same thing to my wife and we have only begun. Lol
Old 06-12-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice! The top bolt on both sides
Of
Shocks was almost the end of me. Took about an hour each before I went and bought new tools haha ugh. The would barely move by hand all the way out.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans

- I got some loaner spring compressors from Pep Boys but found that if you disconnect everything properly from the axle the springs literally just fall out.

- Don't even get me started on the passenger side front shock (I upgraded to Bilstein shocks). What a PITA! it took all I had to not just give up for the day at that point.

Spring compressors are dangerous and, as you say, unnecessary.

As for the Bilstein shocks: Folks on this forum voice disagreement with me, but I strongly recommend against them. If they couldn't correctly design the mounting hardware to make the install easy (how about some flats on the stud, engineers?), what other compromises did they make to that shock that affect performance in the Jeep JK? Bilstein is just selling off of their name, IHMO, and has not taken the time to properly design a shock for the JK. Besides, in a recent run-of between shocks in Overland Journal magazine, the Rancho RS9000XLs came out on top, and they are cheaper and adjustable!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

I will be installing my new Teraflex lift this weekend. Not my first rodeo so should go smoothly I hope lol.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
As for the Bilstein shocks: Folks on this forum voice disagreement with me, but I strongly recommend against them. If they couldn't correctly design the mounting hardware to make the install easy (how about some flats on the stud, engineers?), what other compromises did they make to that shock that affect performance in the Jeep JK? Bilstein is just selling off of their name, IHMO, and has not taken the time to properly design a shock for the JK. Besides, in a recent run-of between shocks in Overland Journal magazine, the Rancho RS9000XLs came out on top, and they are cheaper and adjustable!
I do agree that the design has it's flaws but I wouldn't necessarily say they took short cuts on the shocks. The drivers side install went very smoothly, I had it in and tightened down in about 5 minutes. Really, it was the design of the jeep that caused most of the issues on the passenger side. How would Chrysler techs get into that spot if they were fixing shocks at a dealership is what I really want to know!?

Would a flat on the stud make for an easier install? Definitely! But I don't have enough knowledge about these things to say one way is better than the other.

I do like the idea of an adjustable shock though.... Wish you wouldn't have told me about that haha...

Once I get some more drive time on the bilstein a I may be swayed one way or the other.

Quick Reply: 2.5 Teraflex Install and a big thanks to JK Forum!