Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 MOAB JKU build advice for my first wrangler build

Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 MOAB JKU build advice for my first wrangler build

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and could really use some advice. I picked up a 2013 JKU MOAB edition a few weeks ago and I've been working on a build plan since. Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated!

A couple of things to mention:

This will be my daily driver averaging around 20 miles round-trip during the week (in Seattle I5 traffic)
Light weekend trail use on easy to moderate trails (no rock crawling)
I love the on road ride quality and I'm really hoping to meet or exceed it with the lift I go with
I really hate the factory rake and the OE front bumper on the MOAB
I park in an underground garage during the week that has a clearance of 7 feet (and will still need to park there)

The two lifts I'm trying to decide between are:
Teraflex
2.5" Inch Suspension System with VSS 9550 Shocks
Part Number: TER1251000
$730.99

Rubicon Express
2.5" Standard Coil Suspension System with Mono Tube Shocks
Part Number: R/ERE7121M
$699.99

Front Bumper replacement:
Smittybilt XRC Armor Front Bumper
Part Number: S/B76806
$599.99

Wheels and Tires:
Pro Comp
Series 7069 - Flat Black Alloy Wheel
17x9 5x5 4.75BS
$140.99

Pro Comp
Xtereme MT2 315/70R17 Tires
$339.99

Aside from TPMS valve stems, black lugs, and the items listed above... am I missing anything?
Anything else I should be considering doing at the same time?
Wheels, tires, and bumper were chosen purely for aesthetics and I'm not completely sold on any of them (I'm open to other suggestions)
I'm planning on having my local 4Wheelparts store or Northridge4x4 do the install. Any advice working with either of those shops?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOAB.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	439991

Thanks!!
Travis
Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Just a quick question, why would you buy a more expensive Moab rather than a Rubicon and then just replace everything? You could have saved money on the AEV bumper/painted wheels and had a front Dana 44 with front AND rear lockers for a few grand less...

Anyway, welcome to the forum, the TeraFlex is a great lift but the shocks are worthless. Look for some Fox or Bilstein shocks, AEV makes great lift kits geared towards excellent road manners too. Northridge 4x4 will point you in the right direction.

You could take it slow and just put on a TF 1.5" leveling kit and Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers for now. Wait until you have the cash to do what you want and know what your end build will be.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 03-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For god sakes don't replace the awesome aev bumper that's on it now with a shittybuilt, that's just wrong.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea, pretty interesting that you would buy more expensive model and replace the parts that makes it "special".
anywhoo, I would include adjustable arms, front drive shaft, tire carrier, procal, and some c gussets for the 35" to start off.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default I would trade a XRC bumper for the factory AEV

If you really want to lose what makes the MOAB special I will take advantage.
I will buy you a XRC bumper and take your AEV off your hands as a straight up trade.

Try driving that Jeep for awhile before doing mods.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dbird29
If you really want to lose what makes the MOAB special I will take advantage.
I will buy you a XRC bumper and take your AEV off your hands as a straight up trade.

Try driving that Jeep for awhile before doing mods.
Yep. Might as well put e-autogrilles bumpers on it. Cheap out all together. Bud, the moab edition has one of the best bumper setups available for the jk. Don't replace it with crap.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kojack

Yep. Might as well put e-autogrilles bumpers on it. Cheap out all together. Bud, the moab edition has one of the best bumper setups available for the jk. Don't replace it with crap.
Hey hey hey I have a paramount bumper which is the same as e auto and its great. No probs good fit and finish and I like it. But that said I wouldnt get rid of moab/cod bumper either. I wanted moab but was almost 2000 at dealer and something like 1300 from aev

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 04-10-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Agreed with the others, I would in no way replace the front dumper with the Smittybilt one. That's an $1100 bumper from AEV, keep it and if you want a winch, add the winch plate pieces to it and you're set.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also do yourself a big favor and don't pay a shop to install the lift. Buy a case or two of beer, some sandwiches and pizza, and I'm sure some local jeepers would be more than willing to help you out. And you'll learn a Lot about your jeep as well
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
Also do yourself a big favor and don't pay a shop to install the lift. Buy a case or two of beer, some sandwiches and pizza, and I'm sure some local jeepers would be more than willing to help you out. And you'll learn a Lot about your jeep as well
Agreed 100 percent. Do your installs yourself.

Quick Reply: 2013 MOAB JKU build advice for my first wrangler build