Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 jku swap out 4.10 for 5.38 running 35" tires sound right?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mwsubway
Well I went and spoke with him again yesterday and he said 5.35 would be fine and has put them in a few peoples jeeps and people loved them! So I guess I will see and wheel with it and share the results!!!!
I had a 2012 with 37s & 5.38s. And...when I got my 2015 I put 5.38s in for my 37s. Both autos. Love the combination and wouldn't consider anything higher(Lower number). It runs at 2700 rpms at 70 mph. You'll like it too! Pulls away from stops without effort.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I think either would be fine depending on priorities. Personally, I went with 5.13's, and wish i had done 5.38's... 99% of the time the 5.13's are excellent... but that 1% when the rig is in some really precarious situation where lurching even the slightest amount risks body damage and/or rollover... I wish I had that extra bit of control a deeper gear would provide... and this is with the 4:1 ruby case. I will be going to 37's when my 35's wear out, and, will be going 5.38's at that time to offset the increased tire diameter. I'm betting 90% of the people on these forums would opt to not go the places my rig has been, and 99.9% of Jeep owners likely fit that bill. I would agree for them 4.56's or 4.88's would be the cats meow. If you are going to go places where extra slow going is required to keep from crushing body panels and rolling the rig, go as deep as you dare... especially if you have the 2.72:1 case. I think the chart above is excellent for the majority of owners and light to moderate trail use, if you are going to really wheel it (expect/accept body damage, use/utilize armor), the chart is not all that relevant. My .02/opinion.
^^^^x2. What he said!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks for all the input! I'll report back after finished. I have stayed with 5.38's , as I rode in his jeep and it seemed fine!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I think either would be fine depending on priorities. Personally, I went with 5.13's, and wish i had done 5.38's... 99% of the time the 5.13's are excellent... but that 1% when the rig is in some really precarious situation where lurching even the slightest amount risks body damage and/or rollover... I wish I had that extra bit of control a deeper gear would provide... and this is with the 4:1 ruby case. I will be going to 37's when my 35's wear out, and, will be going 5.38's at that time to offset the increased tire diameter. I'm betting 90% of the people on these forums would opt to not go the places my rig has been, and 99.9% of Jeep owners likely fit that bill. I would agree for them 4.56's or 4.88's would be the cats meow. If you are going to go places where extra slow going is required to keep from crushing body panels and rolling the rig, go as deep as you dare... especially if you have the 2.72:1 case. I think the chart above is excellent for the majority of owners and light to moderate trail use, if you are going to really wheel it (expect/accept body damage, use/utilize armor), the chart is not all that relevant. My .02/opinion.
I think your correct👍
Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

The chart is relevant if you plan on driving your jeep to and from the trails. With a 3.6, 4.56's, a manual trans, 37's, and a rubi transfer case I've never had a problem controlling my speed where I felt it necessary to go to deeper gears. I'm not one to shy away from harder trails with probable body damage, as evidenced by the condition of my doors.

Last edited by JE8154; 04-14-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure I'm convinced, need some input!!!!
Well he said 5.13 would be good but I'd still wish I went with 5.38, so he's ordered already! I hope I won't regret!,,,,
These 2 posts are about 2 hours apart which doesn't leave much time for any input, so why ask? I've got 5.38's with 40's and they're a good combo both highway and offroad with the sad little 3.8. I don't see that being a good combo with 35's, but what do I know, not to mention it's too late anyway.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running 35s with the 6-speed and the 4.10 ratio. I have found it still plenty slow enough for crawling on the trail with a 4:1 tcase. On the highway revs are still pretty low but I still have plenty of power on tap. I am kind of curious why the change would be needed.

5.38 seems like a pretty significant jump with a 3.6L engine, you could pretty easily run 40s with that ratio.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, had you given people more time to provide input, I think you would have come to a different conclusion. In fact I know plenty of people running 4.10s and 37s. It's not ideal but livable for sure, both on and off road. Personally my answer to you would have been 4.88, but your decision is made. Your driveshaft is going to be screaming. The good news is that you could just go to 40s and then be in a better range for rpms. Lol.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Ya, had you given people more time to provide input, I think you would have come to a different conclusion. In fact I know plenty of people running 4.10s and 37s. It's not ideal but livable for sure, both on and off road. Personally my answer to you would have been 4.88, but your decision is made. Your driveshaft is going to be screaming. The good news is that you could just go to 40s and then be in a better range for rpms. Lol.
I went with 5:13's with 37's and I rev 2900 rpm at 70 mph. I have no plans to go offroad except maybe dirt roads and I wish I had gone with 4:88 or 4:56 because it drinks fuel trying to go 80 mph. But having no knowledge I went with what the gear shop recommended for me. I had 3:73's - 2015 rubi with an auto.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
👍 well was in Moab the week before and saw plenty of jeeps with 5.38 and the said it was good on trail. With that being said gears are in but still haven't driven because the superchip flash pad won't program the gears! Taken them three days to figure out so far and nothing!

Quick Reply: 2014 jku swap out 4.10 for 5.38 running 35" tires sound right?