JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   2015 Wrangler Sport - Which rear axle?? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/2015-wrangler-sport-rear-axle-342550/)

cb2224 06-12-2017 12:45 PM

2015 Wrangler Sport - Which rear axle??

I have a 2015 2 door sport with a manual and 3.75 gearing.
The build sheet states that standard is Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear axles.
How do I confirm this?

I ask, because I am looking to upgrade the differential covers.

thanks!

rob_engineer 06-12-2017 01:11 PM

Since you have a Sport, the axles you mentioned is what you have. There are no options that would make them differ. Curious, why do you want to upgrade the covers, just throw synthetic fluid in there and it will handle anything you throw at it. I've towed a 5000 pound trailer for many miles, even in blazing summer heat. No issues with stock axles.

BoraBora 06-12-2017 01:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
3.73 gearing*
Dana 30 front
Dana 44 rear

That's what you have^

Also curious as to why you want to change you diff covers. Do you offroad it at all? I just wheeled Rock Creek at Rausch Creek with my stock Dana 44 front cover and just an upgraded rear....and my stock cover is still OK.

Don't throw money at something you don't need at all.

Look realllll close and you can see that stock cover.

Attachment 672464 Attachment 672465

cb2224 06-12-2017 01:26 PM

Thank you for the clarification.
My current cover is getting beat up.
:thumbsup::beer:

nthinuf 06-12-2017 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If for some reason you think you have different axles than what the build sheet shows, grab a couple pics/diagrams and compare to what you see on your jeep. Here is one, but there are a ton of them to be found scattered around the net.

Attachment 672466

There have also been quite a few threads asking about which aftermarket cover to choose. Wouldn't be a bad idea to read through a few for feedback and opinions.

resharp001 06-13-2017 06:56 AM

Cheap insurance to me. We all wheel differently, but my front especially takes some decent hits. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the stock covers myself. That said, I never felt the need to pay up for expensive high-end aftermarket covers. PSC Bombshell or Riddlers were more in the price range I was willing to commit to.

MacRubi2 06-13-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoraBora (Post 4295379)
3.73 gearing*
Dana 30 front
Dana 44 rear

That's what you have^

Also curious as to why you want to change you diff covers. Do you offroad it at all? I just wheeled Rock Creek at Rausch Creek with my stock Dana 44 front cover and just an upgraded rear....and my stock cover is still OK.

Don't throw money at something you don't need at all.

Look realllll close and you can see that stock cover.

Attachment 672464 Attachment 672465

I know some people feel there is no need for upgraded diff covers but I have them and also my son on his XJ.

We were on a pretty rocky trail last weekend when my son took a good hit on his front diff cover. If not for the strong cover it would've done some damage so to me it's well worth it plus they look cool 😎