Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 with lift and tires, brakes are $hit...

Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
My problem with the Dynatrac system: What happens when I need new pads? Is it going to cost me another $1k? $500? Can I buy some brake pads at my local auto parts store?
With our ProGrip system, if you need replacement pads and can't order a set of our replacements due to time or availability constraints, you can use any brake pad that fits the factory JK calipers so you're not stuck. That's one of the reasons why the ProGrip kit retains the stock calipers, so pad replacement isn't an issue. You can find all the replacement parts you'll need for a ProGrip system here. https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-systems.html
Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Dynatrac uses stock JK pads, the reason their pads are so expensive is because they've got propriety bite to them. Dyna says they use stock JK pads so replacements are easy to find in any town.

By contrast- the Mopar BBK uses a Ram 1500 pad.....something to consider.
Just to make sure there isn't any confusion, our pads use the factory shape/backing plate, but the pad material is a specially designed compound optimized for off-road use. And expensive isn't exactly an accurate term,. Replacement fronts are $69 and replacement rears $59, comparable to similar aftermarket pads for JKs.

Because our ProGrip system retains the stock calipers and stock shaped pads, getting replacements is easy even if you're in a pinch because you can use a bone stock JK pad available at most auto parts stores to keep yourself going.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I will say that the Dynatrac pads on my rig have lasted as long (if not longer) than the OEM pads I have.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is essentially the same pad as a factory jk with a different compound how is the braking with a factory rotor? $70 vs. $1100?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by ehodger
If this is essentially the same pad as a factory jk with a different compound how is the braking with a factory rotor? $70 vs. $1100?
ehodger -- that's a great question, and the answer helps explain why the ProGrip brake system works so well. The brake pad compound is part of the improved braking, but only part of it. If you use Dynatrac pads in you your stock system, you will most likely notice a difference, but less than half of the possible improvement of using the complete ProGrip system.

The improvement in overall braking improvement from the ProGrip system comes from 3 essential changes to the brake system:
1. The higher friction material of the brake pads. We worked hard to find a good balance between performance and long-life with our brake pads.
2. The larger rotors that allow us to move the caliper and pads farther from the axle centerline. This works like a larger lever -- providing more braking power.
3. The redesigned caliper bracket that keeps the caliper in the designed position better. This is one point that nearly all people overlook. When you apply the brakes, the caliper wants to rotate and twist on the bracket. This keeps the pads from contacting the rotor with the most even force across the pad face that is possible. ProGrip pads are designed to resist this twisting force, getting the most performance from the system.

We hope this explanation helps!
Old 11-07-2021, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Brake doesn't hold.

Hello all. New to the forums. Have a 2008 4 door wrangler standard transmission with a 2" lift, stock 18"s and heavy 34" retreads. The brakes seem fine but my hand brake will not hold on an incline at all.

I've adjusted the brakes, replaced the disks/drums, pads and shoes, cables, and the handbrake assy. I even tightened the clock spring in the handbrake assy. Still slips when I park on a hill.

I do put it in gear and cut the wheels for safety but it has been an issue since my first gear doesn't hold. (It's in the shop for a trans rebuild right now).

I have taken it to two different shops and one said it's fine. The other said it's the oversized tires causing more torque. I'm I missing something? Is there a simple solution? Should I just get bigger brakes? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Spearsa; 11-07-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

OP - if you change to ceramic pads they stop cold or hot, offroad or onroad and they keep the discs nice and shiny. I have them on and now no loger need to decide if I need a big brake kit which is a pain in the ass to change out the master cylinder and vacuum booster with my V8 sitting in there. I got generic ones from a company here in Calgary called Auto Value. You might want to try Lordco first. The stopping power at 100-110 is incredible. The full set was about $140.

Quick Reply: 2016 with lift and tires, brakes are $hit...