Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 with lift and tires, brakes are $hit...

Old 05-01-2017, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 with lift and tires, brakes are $hit...

Hello all. Back into Jeep after picking up a 2016 Rubi Unlimited with 33's and a Mopar 2" lift, now with 1800km. This is my 4th now, so pretty familiar with them.

My issue is that since day one the stock brakes will barely slow down the JK when cold. I mean I can start the Jeep, drive off, hammer the breaks as hard as I can can and it barely slows down. I have to drive and drag the brakes and do a few hard stops before the start to grab, basically warm them up. After about 200 meters, they work great.

I have been looking at the Teraflex and/or dynatrac pro-grip upgrade, but with only an increase of approx. 1.5" of tire height, could there be another problem? Non of my other Jeeps had this issue.

just want to get a feel for possible solutions before I head to the dealer.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

I've owned 3 JK's, 07, 13 and 15, and after they added the vacuum pump with the 3.6, brakes aren't awful. I haven't noticed any difference from 13 to 15.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spetz
Hello all. Back into Jeep after picking up a 2016 Rubi Unlimited with 33's and a Mopar 2" lift, now with 1800km. This is my 4th now, so pretty familiar with them.

My issue is that since day one the stock brakes will barely slow down the JK when cold. I mean I can start the Jeep, drive off, hammer the breaks as hard as I can can and it barely slows down. I have to drive and drag the brakes and do a few hard stops before the start to grab, basically warm them up. After about 200 meters, they work great.

I have been looking at the Teraflex and/or dynatrac pro-grip upgrade, but with only an increase of approx. 1.5" of tire height, could there be another problem? Non of my other Jeeps had this issue.

Pro Grips are awesome, but your factory brake system should not really be able to even notice a 33" tire. Generally speaking, brakes are good all the way up to a 35, and they can hold down a 37, even if it isn't great. I would have your dealer go through the braking system under the factory warranty. It is impossible to say what a probably cause is with you not being in the shop, but if you have a firm brake pedal I'd have them look at the master cylinder and booster. I am assuming the brake pads and rotors are factory?

One way or another you shouldn't be having this issue with the factory braking system and a 33" tire. I wouldn't drop the coin on a braking system until you've gone through it.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bringing it in tomorrow for a look-see. Agreed that the stock brakes should be fine. They were on all the others I've owned with bigger tires. It feels like there is air in the lines as the pedal firms ups after about 5 presses. Anyway, all covered under warranty anyway.

I'm looking at bigger brake kits as I'm likely purchasing a 3000lb trailer to haul to campsites before wheeling for the day.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe you should have a power bled and abs bleed on the system. With the lift maybe the brake lines replaced and a proper bleed was not done. Going to 33's should not be an issue with stock brakes.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black magic pads and centric premium rotors. About 500 dollars and works amazingly. If you start with one end start with the front, most of your braking power comes from there.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

It sounds like you may have an issue with your brakes, as 33's shouldn't affect the factory brakes to the extent you are saying. That being said, I highly recommend the Dynatrac ProGrip brake system. It is a huge upgrade in stopping power.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spetz

Thinking on your situation, you say when the brakes are cold their performance is subpar, but once they're warmed up things are fine? It sounds like someone installed a set of brake pads with some sort of makeup that is optimized for more heat than cold. It could be a simple pad change will solve your issues.

That being said, a ProGrip upgrade will no doubt give you increased stopping power and ability, while also allowing for a future size increase to 35s or larger with no worries about the brakes not being able to get the Jeep stopped. Only thing to keep in mind is you need at least a 17-inch diameter wheel to fit the ProGrip system on your Jeep. You can find out all the details along with seeing install videos and stories about the installation and end results on our website: https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie

My problem with the Dynatrac system: What happens when I need new pads? Is it going to cost me another $1k? $500? Can I buy some brake pads at my local auto parts store?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Dynatrac uses stock JK pads, the reason their pads are so expensive is because they've got propriety bite to them. Dyna says they use stock JK pads so replacements are easy to find in any town.

By contrast- the Mopar BBK uses a Ram 1500 pad.....something to consider.

Quick Reply: 2016 with lift and tires, brakes are $hit...